run up on the trailer

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: run up on the trailer Reply with quote

Those who know:

is it possible to run up an engine
when the plane is on the trailer
and do it safely?

I have a monowheel Europa
and an original Europa trailer
with the optional side supporters.
The trailer is fixed with a car and
the tailwheel is fixed with the trailer.
The wings will be derigged.

Just wonder is it too hard for the main
gear because of the prop torque?
My purpose is just to make it idle,
no full power at all.

Thanks, Raimo
===========

Raimo M W Toivio

OH-XRT Europa XS Mono #417, completed
OH-CVK C172 Skyhawk, under reinterioring
OH-BLL Beechcraft C45, w radial engines (grounded)

37500 Lempaala
Finland
tel + 358 3 3753 777
fax + 358 3 3753 100
gsm + 358 40 590 1450

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi
www.rwm.fi

pr(at)dcanderson.myzen.co
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: run up on the trailer Reply with quote

Yes - but make sure that the trailer is anchored, the fuse is strapped down
and that the wings and the elevators are removed. The wing supports should
be hinged down on the ground as otherwise the straps may fret.
Roger. G-BXTD

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: run up on the trailer Reply with quote

Raimo, I did my engine runs that way including full power tests. No
problems. Picture attached. David Joyce

Build_1.jpg
 Filesize:  135.7 KB
 Viewed:  167 Time(s)

Build_1.jpg

Back to top
scrimm

Location: Gilbert, SC SC99

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: run up on the trailer Reply with quote

Roger,

"Fuse strapped down"????

I don't nor have I seen a Europa being strapped down for travel. Guess my
head is in the sand, nothing un-common. Can you or the group provide some
more information on this and maybe some pics? Am I lucky it hasn't jumped
off of it's trailer while I have been dragging it around the countryside?

Thanks,

Steve

N42AH
For Sale
www.stephenscott.com/Europa

Steve Crimm
N42AH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
karelvranken(at)hotmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: run up on the trailer Reply with quote

Raimo,
My trailer is not the original Europa trailer, so I can't take any
responsability in your case. But my alu-trailer is similar build as yours. I
did motor run ups with pushes to full power. It looked to me as stable as
ready to fly. Also on the trailer we did engine + prop balancing. That means
that we were bussy for two hours by running at different RPM's. Good luck.
Karel Vranken. # 447 F-PKRL

carl(at)flyers.freeserve.
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: run up on the trailer Reply with quote

David,

I see you have hitched the trailer to to your car but on a "gravel
driveway".

Was there any paintwork left on the vehicle afterwards?

raimo.toivio(at)rwm-syste
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: run up on the trailer Reply with quote

Thanks David,

that looks clear. Europa towed
by Jaguar is a stylish combination!
Did you use some traps through a
spar tunnel to make extra support?

Raimo
====

do not archive

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: run up on the trailer Reply with quote

Raimo, Yes but in retrospect I don't think it was necessary. David

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: run up on the trailer Reply with quote

Carl, The prop was over grass, the axis of the plane was horizontal so prop
wash not actually hitting gravel - no problem. Still driving the same car 4
yrs later! Regards, David

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: run up on the trailer Reply with quote

Thanks for all those kind mono-operators
who encouraged me to run up on the trailer.

I can confirm; it was a great pleasure
and felt safe and easy also. What a way
to do it w/o wings. No damages - I will
make it again. Just for happiness.

Raimo
=====
Raimo M W Toivio

OH-XRT Europa XS Mono #417, completed
OH-CVK C172 Skyhawk, under reinterioring
OH-BLL Beechcraft C45, w radial engines (grounded)

37500 Lempaala
Finland
tel + 358 3 3753 777
fax + 358 3 3753 100
gsm + 358 40 590 1450

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi (raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi)
www.rwm.fi

100_1194.jpg
 Filesize:  48.47 KB
 Viewed:  176 Time(s)

100_1194.jpg

Back to top
ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: run up on the trailer Reply with quote

Well done Raimo. I see you are able to give your neighbour even more grief along with the C 45 ! (did you get both engines running running AOK?)
Regards
Bob H

Do not archive.

Robt.C.Harrison

Thanks for all those kind mono-operators

who encouraged me to run up on the trailer.

I can confirm; it was a great pleasure

and felt safe and easy also. What a way

to do it w/o wings. No damages - I will

make it again. Just for happiness.

Raimo

=====

Raimo M W Toivio

www.rwm.fi

raimo.toivio(at)rwm-syste
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: run up on the trailer Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

unfortunately not yet but The Day is coming.
Too busy with some more important things,
so far.

We have here in Finland one flying DC3 with
2xdouble Prat&Whitney star engines and
its operatorīs responsible engineer promised
me to make my Junior Wasps singing one day.

If you like DC3īs just click

http://www.dc-ry.fi/front.htm

Last summer we all 5 had a rare chance to fly
in it. Our common friend - Beautiful Helena -
was there also.

Letīs meet in http://wings.pudasjarvi.fi/
next summer.

By the way Russians have made boats boosted
by huge star engines for military purposes