Mandatory mod no 72
Goto page 1, 2  Next

sideslip(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

Just checked on Europa's website and discovered yet another mandatory mod.
This is Mod No. 72 and involves nearly all aircraft and involves a check of the landing frame for cracks before next flight and then fitting sleeves to the frame before next permit renewal or 25 hours. This operation needs the engine to be removed.

Geoff Leedham G-EOFS

jodel(at)nildram.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

Given that this has been made mandatory for UK aircraft by the PFA, has anyone had any notice of this from the PFA?

Simon

Just checked on Europa's website and discovered yet another mandatory mod.

This is Mod No. 72 and involves nearly all aircraft and involves a check of the landing frame for cracks before next flight and then fitting sleeves to the frame before next permit renewal or 25 hours. This operation needs the engine to be removed.

Geoff Leedham G-EOFS
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4

m.clews(at)sky.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

You've just ruined my and many Europa pilots new year!
Looks straight forward though, thanks for drawing our attention to it Geoff,
Mike
G-OMIK
[quote] ---

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

Hi! Mike
Removing and replacing your engine is straight forward ?
I’d describe it as something different ! I guess if you say anything quickly it can be considered “straight forward”!
But I put tubes in on my initial build probably not quite to the control standard specified now though .
Perhaps our Mod Committee may like to pass comment?
Bob Harrison G-PTAG (engine out awaiting replacement !)

Robt.C.Harrison

You've just ruined my and many Europa pilots new year!

Looks straight forward though, thanks for drawing our attention to it Geoff,

Mike

G-OMIK
[quote]

carl(at)flyers.freeserve.
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

If its a mandatory mod, why havent Europa written to us and why havent we been sent the requisite parts. BTW are we talking about monos or trigears or both???

We had enough of this aggro when we were building the aircraft - about 60 or so mods from memory (yes, we were one of the early ones (no49!!!).

Now not so happy G-LABS.

[quote] ---

mikenjulie.parkin(at)btop
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

All Europas except those with the classic engine installation
(radiators each side of the spinner) with the Rotax 912 or 912S
engine and Warp Drive ground adjustable propeller or other
propeller weighing less than 25lb (912S engine) or 28lb (912
engine) and no cracks found in the landing gear frame, or those
with landing gear frames supplied by Europa after January 2007.

Straight from the Mod leaflet.

regards,

MP
[quote] ---

sideslip(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

I think we will all be notified in due course both by the PFA and Europa. Parts have to be purchased from Europa either a repair kit if no cracks found or a new complete frame if original is cracked. This mod affects all europas except some classic installations with lightweight props fitted. I suggest everyone reads the mod on Europa Aircraft website
http://www.europa-aircraft.co.uk/
[quote] ---

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have the classic engine installation with the Rotax 912S.
Interesting specs, as my Airmaster Prop weighs in at 26lbs!!! except I kept the glass spinner which weighs 1 lb less than the metal one!
So that is within the specs as the cracks are not there!! Already checked it long ago when the fault was first observed .
Will do it anyway, in time.
My 1 lbs worth.
Cheers,
Tim
Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand

Ph +64 3 3515166
Mobile 021 0640221
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz)
[quote] ---

pete(at)lawless.info
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

Hi Tim

The way I read the mod the 28 lb limit applied to the 912 and the limit for the 912s was 24lbs.

I am just trying to find the weight of the NSI CAP140 – it is not mentioned in the manual or any of the paperwork that came with the prop. We may end up having to weigh it.

Regards

Pete

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserv
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

Surprising that there is no recommendation to turn over the mount rubbers, swap top for bottom or replace.
The weight of the engine would be borne principally by the lower two of the four mount points; the upper arms would (because they yield more under load) take the "nodding" loads of the engine, plus a lesser contribution of the engine weight.

As the more heavily loaded (bottom) rubber mounts yield/creep over time, progressively more weight would be borne by the top arms.

In any case, if the spinner line has sunk below the cowl line (as is normal with time), this would be usefully reset.

Duncan Mcf.
[quote] ---

ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserv
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

I've received no notice and will continue to consider the mod as non mandatory until notified by the design authority, i.e. the PFA.

The PFA's website (TADS) also does not currently list this mod.

Duncan McF.
[quote] ---

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

Good thinking, but should we not as a matter of good practice be replacing
all rubber parts every 5 yrs? If so this would be a smart time to replace
the engine mounts. Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

kheindl(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

Carl Pattinson wrote:
Quote:
If its a mandatory mod, why havent Europa written to us and why havent we
been sent the requisite parts. BTW are we talking about monos or trigears
or both???

We had enough of this aggro when we were building the aircraft - about 60
or so mods from memory (yes, we were one of the early ones (no49!!!).

My sentiments entirely. I always assumed that the original designers knew
what they were doing, but we are being informed at regular intervals about
one failure after another of major components.
What exactly is the point of having the PFA. They passed the Europa with
flying colours, and yet, some of the parts were obviously underdesigned. I
always thought that the engine frame looked kind of flimsy, and I guess the
nosegear frame will be next to bite the dust.
Has anyone got more details about the aircraft where this failure occurred ?
Was it a trigear, and what suspension did it have ?

Karl

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

Hi All
When the Europa was designed it was done by people like us, with a lot
of enthusiasm, quite a bit of experience ( think Don Dykins!) but it was
still a very steep learning curve. The early builders were sometimes
ahead of the company, at least one of them wrote parts of the manual.
Just remember very few airplanes can do what a Europa does well and
there aren't as many ADs as there are on a Boeing.
Some of these ADs, possibly Mod 72, I don't know yet, are written to
save the butts of the PFA first, Europa second, but the main reason is
to line the butts of the lawyers with even more fat at our expense. So
imho, blame the US legal system which will eventually kill most
everything it touches. Our UK lawyers are a few miles behind but
catching up.
Here in Europe nobody in a position of responsibility won't make a
decision in case someone sues them.
We might be watching the end of western civilization. Race against time,
will the planet kick us off before we wreck it?
Apologies for being cinical but that is the effect govmint has on me.
Graham

Karl Heindl wrote:

Quote:

> We had enough of this aggro when we were building the aircraft -
> about 60 or so mods from memory (yes, we were one of the early ones
> (no49!!!).

What exactly is the point of having the PFA. They passed the Europa
with flying colours, and yet, some of the parts were obviously
underdesigned. I always thought that the engine frame looked kind of
flimsy, and I guess the nosegear frame will be next to bite the dust.

Karl

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Mandatory mod no 72 Reply with quote

I have to assume that it is if the same type of failure which occurred
about 1 year ago (!), and was actually posted to this list (email
below). Nobody appeared to take notice at the time. I followed up with
an email to Sam requesting a Pic, which I have attached.
I always considered that stress-point at the bracket a weak point, and
am glad that they are addressing it (if it is the same defect!).
Cheers & blue skies,
Peter Zutrauen
Europa Builder A239 dual-wing
http://europa.zutrasoft.com