Mono gear collapse

VE3LVO(at)rac.ca
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

I was saddened to hear of that event - especially on take-off..........
and, of course because I contemplate the same possibility.
Is there a spot in the gear-down structure where the insertion of a
bar/lever/whatever mightr inhibit an over-centre travel on a bumpy take-off
(one which I may see fairly often up north)? It might also stop inadvertent
gear-up on display stands.

Ferg Kyle
Europa A064 914 Classic

scrimm

Location: Gilbert, SC SC99

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

Question...

When the gear collapsed, what was the position of the gear lever after the
collapse? In the down or up position?

Steve Crimm
N42AH
For Sale
www.stephenscott.com/Europa

Steve Crimm
N42AH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

I thought all Europa monos have the little finger latch that I has to be
lifted first before
retracting the undercarraige. The latch fits in a little slot that stops
any movement
of the retraction lever. Maybe the original builder added this as a mod but
it works
great for me! Very easy to use.

Glenn
Quote:
From: "Fergus Kyle" <VE3LVO(at)rac.ca>
To: "EUROPALIST" <europa-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Mono gear collapse
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:40:03 -0500

I was saddened to hear of that event - especially on take-off..........
and, of course because I contemplate the same possibility.
Is there a spot in the gear-down structure where the insertion of a
bar/lever/whatever mightr inhibit an over-centre travel on a bumpy take-off
(one which I may see fairly often up north)? It might also stop
inadvertent gear-up on display stands.

Ferg Kyle
Europa A064 914 Classic

Paul Boulet

Location: Malibu, California

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

The gear lever was down and locked. My collapse occured after landing roll out at about 5 kts ground speed. A slight bump caused it to bounce off center and totally distort/destroy the gear lever and all the mechanisms attached to it. The build manual is wrong and if it had been correct this never would have happened.

I'm surmising most of this because the accident occured with my test pilot at the controls. Also I did not perform the teardown/rebuild converstion to tri gear- my builder assist center performed this.

Words to the wise.... take a look at someone else's mono gear retraction mechanism before accepting the manual's instructions as the gospel truth.

Paul Boulet N914PB

ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserv
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

The problem with kit aircraft is that you have to 'reverse engineer' the manual to try to understand what the designer intended, and then check that the components received come close.
A set of engineering drawings/plans would make it all so much easier!

Duncan McF.
[quote] ---

gcsmith(at)flyer.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

Answer.... That all depends on what you mean by "when the gear collapsed..."
it was a process that occupied a period of time, albeit a short one. Up
until the point that the aircraft came back down to earth after the surge
over the ski jump, the gear lever was in the down and locked position. When
the wheel hit the ground again (with the overcentre lock now in an
undercentre position) and the full weight of the aircraft was applied to the
LG12 lever, the mod 51 strut, the down gate etc etc, the lever took a bit
less than a blink of an eye to move to the "gear up" position -- I'm glad I
didn't have my hand in the way it would have been amputated. Since there is
no "up stop" on the Europa mono landing gear, the wheel was thrust up to the
top of the wheelwell where it wore all the paint off the flap lever and
ground away the bottom of the throttle box, filling the cockpit with nasty
smelling black smoke.

I presume that the point of your question is along the lines of why didn't
the little toggle lock or the LG12 lever or the down gate or whatever, stop
the gear from retracting, but be aware -- all that stuff in the cockpit is
there to stop you inadvertently retracting the gear, e.g. by bumping it with
your hand, there is no way that any of that stuff can take the undercarriage
loads -- they must be taken by the landing gear frame and that only happens
if the gear is 'overcentre'.

I know that the LG12 was securely in the downgate, and that the little
toggle lock was down when the aircraft hit the ground again, because it was
all damaged by the impact. When the overcentre gave way, the full
undercarriage loading was borne by the LG12 lever (but only for a VERY short
time) -- the LG12 was bent, the mod51 strut is now about 1cm shorter than
before and the lever guide plate, into which the slot and the downgate are
cut, was prised from the top of the tunnel. Believe me, if the gear is not
locked over centre everything goes belly up (literally).

Regards,
Graeme

gcsmith(at)flyer.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

Fergus,

I've tried to think of all kinds of safety mechanisms, I've come to the
conclusion that the only hope is to increase the degree of overcentre
locking and to ensure that when the LG12 is in the downgate, the LG08s are
jammed hard against the stops and there is no play anywhere to allow the
overcentre to be 'tripped' by a severe unloading of the suspension such as
would have happened when my aircraft surged over that bump. When it first
hit the bump, the suspension would have been fully compressed, then when the
wheel left the ground the suspension would have been very suddenly unloaded
and would have snapped back so fast that it must have tripped the overcentre
lock. Then when the wheel hit the ground again with the full weight of the
aircraft (plus g forces), there was nothing there to take the load except
the LG12 lever and the downgate in the cockpit ... Game over!

Graeme

gcsmith(at)flyer.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

Glenn,

My little finger latch works great as well, but don't misunderstand its
purpose. It is there to stop you accidentally retracting the gear, it is not
able to take the full landing loads of the aircraft. If your overcentre
locking is not working, that little finger latch won't save you, see
explanation in replies to other posts on this subject.

Regards,
Graeme

hurstkr(at)redzone.com.au
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

> Words to the wise.... take a look at someone else's mono gear retraction mechanism before accepting the manual's instructions as the gospel truth.

Paul,

Specifically, what are the instructions to which you refer in the manual ? You've lost me at the moment.

Regards
Kingsley in Oz

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

It was always interesting to note the company requiring a minimum 2 cm clearance between the top of the wheel and the fuselage line with the gear down. After installing the undercarriage and then the weight of the engine etc my clearance is below the 2cm. However on reading the over centre problem and undercarriage coming up after a bump on T/O I would summise that perhaps the 2cm clearance requirement should not be stated. To remain in the over centre safe position (u/c down) the clearance is irrelevant and maybe why builders have taken it into account and therefore the undercarriage is too close to the over centre neutral position needing only a bump to reverse it.
Just a thought.
I had my u/c come up for a different reason, the rebate lock moved up after a bumpy landing allowing the lever to move IN SLOW MOTION up. The remedy is a $2 piano wire fix to spring load the latch in the down position. I have the details of that installation if anyone wants it. Could save you some money!!!
Tim
--
Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street

---- Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
[quote] The problem with kit aircraft is that you have to 'reverse engineer' the manual to try to understand what the designer intended, and then check that the components received come close.
A set of engineering drawings/plans would make it all so much easier!

Duncan McF.

VE3LVO(at)rac.ca
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

Graeme,
Thanks for the clarifications - much as I surmised - the lowering
mechanism won't stop an overcentre interruption, or a collapse.
This brings me back to my original question: That there may be a
structural intervention which IS strong enough to inhibit collapse. Perhaps
insertion of a simple hydraulic cylinder? Of course this means a second (or
more) action to prepare for landing but I don't mind the extra work! The
distance-twixt-rubber-bumper-ends is intriguing..............
Ferg Kyle
Europa A064 914 Classic

josok-e(at)ukolo.fi
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

Hi All,
It's a bit of a teaser, this thread about collapsing gear. Let me try my view on this. The gear is per desgn over-center. It's ever so little, and i did not really believe it. I moved the crates which supported the fuselage in the workshop a bit aside, so that they were only balancing the act, and it was impossible to raise the wheel. Support back in place and up she went. So i was happy until this thread. Im my case there is no play on the lever in the down position so far. So it can't get out of over center eh? The i remembered the demonstation fligts, the gear comes up easy, almost jumps up, until halfway, when pressure has to be applied. So it's the pressure on the flaps that will, on a bumpy take off or landing, pull happely out-of-over-center. That is, if there is any play in the system, more then the over center distance. Right?

Kind Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen
Visit - www.EuropaOwners.org

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Mono gear collapse Reply with quote

Jos
the pressure on the flaps doen't cause any tendency to retract, it acts
straight up the support brackets and through the pivot bolts. In flight
you should be able to put the flaps anywhere from nearly down to nearly
up and they will stay put. The only force on the lever is from the shock
chord or your hand.
Graham

josok wrote:
[...]

Graham Singleton