she did what she was supposed to do

thomas(at)scherer.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: she did what she was supposed to do Reply with quote

it is my sad duty (well, glad - I am reporting it myself) that N81EU was
lost tonight on a take-off failure with me and Kim Prout aboard.,

The Rotax 912 failed on take-off and running out of options I had to put her
down at the end of the runway with a droop and fence ahead.

Plane came to a rest in a quarry after shearing off the landing gear
(trigear) and tearing off the firewall foward.

It is a miracle that Kim and me walked away and I fully attribute it to the
design of the central tunnel and the wheel attachment that we're not only
alive but walked away unharmed from a complete crash,

The flying surfaces seem unhamarmed as well as the fuselelage except the
firewall foward (which broke off 1oo %) and the gears which were lost about
2oo feet short off the crash site.

It is very early to say anything - the engine was fine - we worked on it the
entire afternoon and found it to be very smooth - I fear I installed as new
fuel filter which should not have been there - more later.

Anyway - we're alive (and having our share of Whiskey) and I promise you ...
you will hear again of N81EU.

Thanks to the designer who made her this crashworthy - N18EU now has 890 hrs
under her belly and never missed a beat (Rotax 912).

more later

<Thomas N81EU>

PS: the only pain we can report of is on our feet - after the firewall
sheared off our feet were in the void and got hurt on the last impact. She
was flying right to the end. Europa rulez !

Paul Boulet

Location: Malibu, California

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: she did what she was supposed to do Reply with quote

Wow.... my empathy to you and Kim.... congrats are in order not just to the designer but to the pilot for cool thinking in a crisis situation. Thank you for your candid report of this terrible situation. May you quickly get your bird repaired and into the air soon!

Paul Boulet, N914PB, Malibu, California

Kevin Klinefelter

Location: Bishop CA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: she did what she was supposed to do Reply with quote

Very happy to hear you are both OK.Wow.
Did it happen at Cable? Nevermind... have another drink you two... very
happy indeed.

All the Best to you both, Kevin Klinefelter

Thomas Scherer wrote:

[...]

Europa XS, Mono Wheel N211KA
Intercooled 914, Airmaster Prop
ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: she did what she was supposed to do Reply with quote

Hi! Thomas.
Sad to hear the news about the a/c and pleased you are generally OK.
Unfortunately on take off it only needs to miss "one beat", I'm
wondering if you had been able to do a long full power test prior to
departure? When I had my fuel blockage (due to drilling restrictions in
the tank connectors) I had been unable to restrain the a/c on the trike
gear brakes on full power for longer than to "bounce" the max. RPM on
the tacho. I then resorted to lengthy full power checks with one brake
only (so long as folks are clear!)
It does look like you are a lunatic but allows an extended full power
run up. Anyway Having done it I still had first main tank engine fail
followed by reserve tank engine fail in the same take off run but with a
runway about 2 miles long ! (no damage occurred)However ................
I am still in the repair process of G-PTAG since a nose wheel yoke
departure last May so take some comfort that you aren't alone in your
trials!
Hopefully your replacement Rotax becomes available quicker than mine
which is due in April.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

Do not archive.

willie.harrison(at)tinyon
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: she did what she was supposed to do Reply with quote

Hey, Thomas, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

What is the story regarding the fuel filter?

Hope you get back on the horse soon.

Cheers

Willie Harrison
On 26 Feb 2007, at 04:57, Thomas Scherer wrote:

Quote:

<thomas(at)scherer.com>

[...]

rogerabc

Joined: 19 Oct 2006

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: she did what she was supposed to do Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are both OK, it sounds like you did a good job Thomas.

I think that for even the most careful of us "fate is the hunter".

Good luck with the rebuild, aufweidersehn

Roger

On 26 Feb 2007, at 04:57, Thomas Scherer wrote:

Quote:

<thomas(at)scherer.com>

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: she did what she was supposed to do Reply with quote

Wow Tom - glad you're OK. Just shows you can turn into a glider at any
time.
Sounds like the Europa is the plane I want to be in when I do an off field
landing!
I'm headed to the bar right now to celebrate your adventure!

Glenn

Quote:
From: "Thomas Scherer" <thomas(at)scherer.com>
To: <europa-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: she did what she was supposed to do
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:57:05 -0800

[...]

Find what you need at prices you’ll love. Compare products and save at MSN®
Shopping.
http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata 4102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701

karelvranken(at)hotmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: she did what she was supposed to do Reply with quote

Dear Thomas and Kim,
We realy feel sad for the accident and admire your courage.
Wish you both a quick recover.
Karel Vranken # 447 F-PKRL