Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for the group

mmesa005(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for the group Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am considering the purchase of a completed and flying Europa XS. I have corresponded with the seller and exchanged information, pictures, etc, everything looks fine so far. We are separated by several states and thus I don't have the option of driving over to see the airplane in person. My remaining concern is if I can fit comfortably in the airplane. I am 6', tall in the torso, sitting bolt upright on the floor I measure my head at 38". My weight is 210 lbs. I have read what I could find on this e-mail list as well as the Internet and the concensus is that 6' - 6' 1" is about max height for comfort. I would appreciate any additional input from current flyers / builders.

I can't find the specific measurements of the cockpit from seat bottom to top of the cockpit, nor am I able to find the amount of recline the seatback has. Both would have been useful to make some measurements against and get a better approximation as to how much room there is in the cockpit. Anyone have these or can point me to a source?

My previous airplane was a Lancair 320 which appears to have about the same amount of shoulder and head room as the Europa XS? Also, I live in Northern California, Cameron Park, so if there is anyone near me or in the Bay Area building or has a completed XS I would appreciate the opportunity to try the airplane on for size. Also, any Europa XS CFI's in the area?

I really admire the Europa and to me it is the ultimate airplane with a great balance of features and efficiency. Of course I need to fit in the airplane comfortably!

Thank's in advance for your help!

Regards,

Steven
Everyone is raving about

astills(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for the group Reply with quote

Steven,
I’m about the same as you in Height-6’1”, 37 or 38” from butt to top of head and 230 lbs. I fit comfortably into the XS seat while flying although I had to take 1” out of the
padding from my seat cushion. I have 1” of high density foam on the bottom with shaped sides. I must say there is not a lot of room over my head but enough that in
light turbulence I’m not bouncing off the glass on the top. You do have an advantage over me as I wish my legs were about 1” shorter. They then would not rest upon
the air duct on the side wall. Altogether I’m quite comfortable while flying although I’ve only flown for 2-3 hrs at a time while flying my 40 hrs off.
Al Stills
N625AZ
Phoenix, Ariz

terrys(at)cisco.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for the group Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,

We have a mono-wheel XS that we have been flying for over 5 years. We keep the plane at Livermore airport, and would be glad to show it to you, and give you a chance to sit in it, or go for a flight if you like and the weather permits.

regards,
Terry Seaver
N135TD

[...]

Everyone is raving about http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
the Web
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for the group Reply with quote

Hi Steve - I'm 6"1" and 215 lbs, long torso and fairly wide shoulders and
am fairly comfortable
for up to 2 hrs. Not a lot of extra room to move around. I would like to
move the rudder
pedals forward a couple inches sometime but the rudder is really not needed
in flight so you
can stretch out one foot at a time between the pedals. My left shoulder is
pushing against
the door frame somewhat but is mostly below it. I will do the shoulder
width mod sometime
as well. I did the LA mod that lets you scoot towards the tunnel a bit to
get away from the
door frame but I really don't notice any discomfort for 2 hrs. I reduced
the back seat pad to
one inch foam and only use the one shaped butt pad not the 2nd flat pad.
If your thighs are much bigger than mine, the stick movement at the flare
can be limited.
I can just hit the aileron stop both ways if I press into my thigh slightly.
I do caution my
passenger to put their right foot between the rudder pedals for landing so
as not to limit
right aileron travel in the flare but it has never been a problem. I have
about an inch of
headroom. Hope this helps - good luck!

Glenn
Quote:
From: Steven Janicki <mmesa005(at)yahoo.com>
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for the
group
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:27:01 -0800 (PST)

Hello All,

[...]

Find what you need at prices you’ll love. Compare products and save at MSN®
Shopping.
http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata 4102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701

willie.harrison(at)tinyon
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for the group Reply with quote

Hi Steven and a provisional welcome to the Europa community. I can add nothing to the comments on cabin space but I did want to make a comment about another aspect. I also bought someone else's recently completed XS (Trigear). It looked great but under the skin there were some serious build quality problems which have taken 3 years to sort out.  So, I would advise that you take along someone who is very familiar with the design who knows where to look and what to prod. If that is not feasible then perhaps through this forum you could collect everyone's list of things to look out for. At least if you find some of these problems present you'll be able to take an decision about whether to buy and sort it or whether to look elsewhere.
Whatever route you take to getting a well sorted Europa it will be worth it. Performance, handling and running costs are all very good.

Best wishes

Willie
G-BZNY

On 20 Feb 2007, at 22:27, Steven Janicki wrote:
[...]

Everyone is raving about [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=45083/*http://advision.webev[quote][b]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List[/url]http://forums.matronics.com[b]

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for the group Reply with quote

Steven I am 6-2" (but only 185 lbs) and fit comfortably in my XS. There is
the point that you need to sit with your head virtually touching the canopy
in order to maximise vis over the front, so that folk tend to build up their
upholstery to get themselves up to that point, so that trying someone else's
Europa for size only gives you the full story if you can adjust the cushion
height. Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

mmesa005(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for the group Reply with quote

Thanks to all who responded! The information regarding fit and the offer to actually try an XS on for size are greatly appreciated! I am also glad to see that the Europa mail list is quite active and a great resource.

For the record my Lancair 320 had the original "short tail", for me having first been a helicopter pilot nullified the impact of the short tail.

Regards,

Steven

do not archive
Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A. [quote][b]

josok-e(at)ukolo.fi
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for the group Reply with quote

Hi Willie,

Could you please detail what the build quality problems were?
We at least would know what to look out for from your experience.
Secondly, you are in the UK, so why did the inspector pass that plane?
Kind Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

workshopcam http://www.okhuijsen.org/plane
http://www.europaowners.org/kit600
mono xs, blue stuff filled, sanded and primed, fuel system in, doors done,
windows in, filled and sanded, waiting for the painter, engine
installation, panel.

willie.harrison(at)tinyon
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for the group Reply with quote

Hi Jos

Can I answer your second question first? The Europa is for me a
return to a PFA type after 15 years of flying a certified type.
Previously I had a share in a plans-built Jodel which was massive fun
to fly but a death trap. I was dismayed then by the low standard of
workmanship which had obviously been passed when the aircraft was
built and also by the lax standard of the yearly inspection. After
two engine failures within a year I went off to find something more
dependable. When I bought the Europa (Total time 12 hours when
purchased) it was with the blind faith that things must have moved on
- better designs, better build standards required and better annual
inspections. The good news is that there are obviously some superb
inspectors out there with huge knowledge of Europas - my inspector,
Tony Kay, is utterly strict when he needs to be, sensibly pragmatic
when he can be and always very helpful - in all respects a top man.
Having built his own monowheel and having inspected many other
Europas, he knew exactly where to look for problems with my aircraft
and boy did he find them (see later). The bad news is that there are
clearly also inspectors out there (I can't name individuals in
writing, the laws of defamation being what they are) who have signed
off appalling workmanship, either because they didn't spot it or
perhaps because they didn't think it mattered.

Anyway, here's a list of the things I can recall:

- The fuel tank was resting on the screws which secure the inspection
panels under the fuselage - it was only a matter of time before the
screws would have chiselled their way through the tank)

- Elevator total travel was below the required spec (by 1 degree)

- The exhaust stub was put on at the wrong angle causing later heat
damage to the port side fuselage

- The rudder cables were fouling in about 8 places in total
(including against the brake pipes which were being sawn through, and
the edge of the tank likewise).

- Rudder linkage was fouling badly on firewall

- Lots of minor but mandatory items were missing: switch and circuit
breaker i/ds, on/off placards, limits for T's and P's and airspeeds

- Coolant hose routed too close to exhaust (and scorched as a result)

- Starter-engaged warning light not connected

- Alternator warning light missing

- Fuel filler pipe wrongly assembled and leaking as a result (the
tank was routinely dumping top 15 litres into the baggage area when
filled).

- Instrument panel fixing screws were all insecure and virtually
every instrument was either inoperative or had a significant problem.

- The cable crimps at the regulator looked as if they had been done
with pliers - one simply fell out. Elsewhere the wiring and vacuum
piping was untidy at best.

- The left and right tailplanes had an inch of slop measured at the
trailing edge (max allowable I recall is 3/16) - this was not due to
wear but apparently to the torque tube holes having been filed out to
make assembly easier...

- Aileron pushrod assembly incorrectly rivetted allowing freeplay

- Missing lock nut in elevator mass balance assembly

- Fireproofing sleeves missing on under cowl fuel pipes

- Wrong material used for coolant overflow pipe

- Missing sealant at holes in engine bulkhead

- Several areas of snagging/fouling in aileron linkage

- Numerous areas where fuel pipes were at risk of abrasion eg rubbing
on aileron torque tube, rudder cables, hole through baggage bay rib etc

- Speed kit incorrectly installed (flap hinge covers abrading flap
hinges and U/C fairing fell off in flight)

Quite a list as you see. I make no criticism of the builder - the PFA
ethos is that you can take as many attempts as you need to meet the
required build standard and the inspector will - should - keep
failing the job until you get it right. It was the inspector who
failed, not the builder. I am grateful to Tony Kay for helping me
find and fix this little lot. We now have dealt with the dangerous
faults (most of the above) and are now moving on to do a re-wire and
panel rebuild to finish licking G-BZNY into shape. Fixing someone
else's poor workmanship is a character-building task but the result
has been worth it - as everyone knows, they are super aircraft if
they are built right.

Cheers!

Willie Harrison

On 21 Feb 2007, at 18:09, Jos Okhuijsen wrote:

Quote:

Hi Willie,

Could you please detail what the build quality problems were?
We at least would know what to look out for from your experience.
Secondly, you are in the UK, so why did the inspector pass that plane?
Kind Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

workshopcam http://www.okhuijsen.org/plane
http://www.europaowners.org/kit600
mono xs, blue stuff filled, sanded and primed, fuel system in,
doors done, windows in, filled and sanded, waiting for the painter,
engine installation, panel.

rsc-93(at)hotmail.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for the group Reply with quote

Quote:
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison(at)tinyonline.co.uk>
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Perspective Europa XS purchase - Questions for