Thoughts on rudder trim needed?

rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.n
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on rudder trim needed? Reply with quote

Our Monowheel XS with a 914 and Airmaster has both short and long wings.
Will have servo trim tab for roll on both. Will fly short first for a
while.
I was wondering if I could get opinions on rudder trim.

Is it worth it to install inflight adjustable trim?

Or is it possible that somehow we managed to build an airframe where both
sets of wings would need no rudder trim? Flies straight in thermal soaring
mode with long wings, as well as heavy fast short wing flight.

Or if rudder trim is needed it is more of a fuse thing, and if needed a
double sticky tab is all that is needed and would work on both short and
long, and for the most part rudder trim is just not that speed sensative?

If there was a slight difference between short and long, a calibrated by
eyecrometer bend on tab, or added 1/2 of a flettner strip for a given wing
makes the most sense?

Anyone have an inflight adjustable rudder trim that they think is a great
feature? Like have an airplane that at different speeds requires different
rudder trim and being able to adjust just adds to the pleasure of flyin?
If yes what is dimensions of trim tab you use with how much deflection?

Thx.
Ron Parigoris

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on rudder trim needed? Reply with quote

I sure don't need rudder trim on mine. Flies very straight at all speeds
with no rudder
trim tab. When I fly with a 200 lb passenger, I can just rest my left foot
on the rudder
pedal to counteract small right roll tendency. For long flights with a
passenger, I have
a small bolt on rudder trim tab but I haven't even used it in 3 years. Lots
of extra
complication for no benefit!

Glenn

Quote:
From: <rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.ny.us>
To: <europa-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Thoughts on rudder trim needed?
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 02:48:50 -0000

[...]

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Thoughts on rudder trim needed? Reply with quote

All you need for any trim is a Gurney Flap. Just a short piece of foam
or balsa stuck under the trailing edge on one side to deflect that
surface up, (or sideways if rudder)
Do a Google on Gurney flaps.
btw Your elevator trim tab has Gurney flaps both sides to cut through
the boundary layer.
Graham

http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG

--