Europa Club Outrigger Pivot Bearing Mod

howard.brooks(at)nomura-a
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Europa Club Outrigger Pivot Bearing Mod Reply with quote

I'm looking to source the materials to do the above modification. Before going searching the net for steel tubing suppliers, I though it would be worth asking the (UK members of the) forum if anyone could either recommend a supplier, or sell me the offcuts left over from when they did the mod?

Basically I need a short length of 3/8 inch stainless steel tube and a short length of 5/16 inch steel tube (the steel tube needs to be a good fit in the stainless one). Oh, and some nylon spacers/washers. I guess 6 inches of tubing would be ample.

Any advice from those who have gone before?

Thanks
Howard
Visit - www.EuropaOwners.org

nwcmc(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Europa Club Outrigger Pivot Bearing Mod Reply with quote

As the designer of this mod I have a few timely comments.

First of all we are looking at updating this mod. The reason is that
even using 4130 steel tube for the inner tubing it has a tendency to
distort crating drag on the outer tube and causing the pivot to revert
to the original arrangement. The future version will use an AN5 bolt
instead of the AN4 bolt and inner tube. The bolt will be prevented from
rotating by locating the head in a V shaped recess in a plate riveted on
the outside of the side plate. An AN5 castellation nut will be used to
retain the bolt. For UK builders the original prototype version of this
update will need approval by the PFA, but assuming I have no problems
with it, I am sure that Andy Draper will allow PFA inspectors to sign
off the work. I intend to update my aircraft in January and will report
when it has final approval.

In the meantime anyone purchasing parts can anticipate being able to
copy my update by purchasing the following:

100mm length of 3/8" stainless tube (wall thickness suitable to
accommodate an AN5 bolt
2 AN5 bolts (length to match outside width between side plates with
castellation nut fitted)
2 AN5 castellation nuts with split pins
4 thin AN5 sized washers to fit either side of the leg
2 pieces of aluminium plate to locate bolt head
4 rivets to attach aluminium plate to sideplate
Small quantity of Redux to fix the stainless tube

Once I have measured up I will be able to provide a more specific list
of the parts required.

Regards

Nigel Charles

fklein(at)orcasonline.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Europa Club Outrigger Pivot Bearing Mod Reply with quote

Nigel,

I was unaware of the mod you describe below and the reasons for it.
Could you briefly outline the condition which it is intended to remedy?

Fred
A194
STILL working on my wings (sigh)

On Wednesday, November 8, 2006, at 11:18 AM, nigel charles wrote:

[quote]
<nwcmc(at)tiscali.co.uk>

[...]

pjeffers(at)talktalk.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Europa Club Outrigger Pivot Bearing Mod Reply with quote

Hi Howard,

You may have some success if you contact Nigel Charles. He will at the
least know where to source the required materials. You will find his
address and details in the Europa Flyer. His club e mail address is
mods(at)europaclub.org.uk

Regards

Pete

howard.brooks(at)nomura-a
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Europa Club Outrigger Pivot Bearing Mod Reply with quote

Thanks Nigel,

I'll follow your revised design and look forward to greater detail when you have it available.

Howard
Visit - www.EuropaOwners.org

nwcmc(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Europa Club Outrigger Pivot Bearing Mod Reply with quote

The outrigger mod was designed to reduce wear on a high load area of the
landing gear. The original outrigger pivot was a free turning AN4 bolt which
created wear on the sideplates. The factory added bushes in the plates to
reduce wear however it was only a partial solution. My mod used a pair of
tubes, one Reduxed to the outrigger head and an inner one clamped between
the plates. A grease nipple was included on the front face of the outrigger
head to enable grease to be injected between the tubes to provide regular
lubrication. This provided a crude bearing with the load spread between the
pair of tubes. This was a great improvement but I believe the upgrade to
this mod as I have described will provide even better results.

Nigel Charles

Quote:
I was unaware of the mod you describe below and the reasons for it.
Could you briefly outline the condition which it is intended to remedy?

Fred
A194
STILL working on my wings (sigh)

On Wednesday, November 8, 2006, at 11:18 AM, nigel charles wrote:

> <nwcmc(at)tiscali.co.uk>
>
> As the designer of this mod I have a few timely comments.
>
> First of all we are looking at updating this mod. The reason is that
> even using 4130 steel tube for the inner tubing it has a tendency to
> distort crating drag on the outer tube and causing the pivot to revert
> to the original arrangement. The future version will use an AN5 bolt
> instead of the AN4 bolt and inner tube. The bolt will be prevented from
> rotating by locating the head in a V shaped recess in a plate riveted

[quote]> on
> the outside of the side plate. An AN5 castellation nut will be used to
> retain the bolt. For UK builders the original prototype version of this
> update will need approval by the PFA, but assuming I have no problems
> with it, I am sure that Andy Draper will allow PFA inspectors to sign
> off the work. I intend to update my aircraft in January and will report
> when it has final approval.
>
> In the meantime anyone purchasing parts can anticipate being able to
> copy my update by purchasing the following:
>
> 100mm length of 3/8" stainless tube (wall thickness suitable to
> accommodate an AN5 bolt
> 2 AN5 bolts (length to match outside width between side plates with
> castellation nut fitted)
> 2 AN5 castellation nuts with split pins
> 4 thin AN5 sized washers to fit either side of the leg
> 2 pieces of aluminium plate to locate bolt head
> 4 rivets to attach aluminium plate to sideplate
> Small quantity of Redux to fix the stainless tube
>
> Once I have measured up I will be able to provide a more specific list
> of the parts required.
>
> Regards
>
> Nigel Charles
> --

h&jeuropa

Joined: 07 Nov 2006

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Europa Club Outrigger Pivot Bearing Mod Reply with quote

Nigel,

I've just finished upgrading the pivot bearing as you described. To capture the AN5 bolt, I used one with a safety wire thru the head (AN5H-24) and replaced the close by AN525 screw with a AN3H-24 bolt and then safety wired the two together to prevent the AN5 bolt from rotating. Works great!

Jim Butcher
N241BW