Rotax 912ULS oil consumption

JonathanMilbank

Joined: 14 Apr 2012
Location: Aberdeen area

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:20 am    Post subject: Rotax 912ULS oil consumption Reply with quote

Does your 912ULS really use only 1/2 litre (500 ml), or 1/2 US quart of oil per 50 flying hours? Mine has done a total of 780 hours ( 560 since a rebuild at 220 hours, following a crash involving a previous owner ) and the oil consumption has steadily increased.

Every 50 hours I replace the oil filter with the Rotax supplied type and the oil is the recommended Aeroshell SPORT Plus 4. The instantaneous compression test done recently gives about 3% difference, highest 177psi to lowest 172psi, and aircraft climb performance remains strong at each annual permit renewal flight test. I won't do the scary leak-down compression test again, having once nearly broken my hand when the propeller kicked.

Researching on line tells me that the maximum acceptable consumption is 60 ml per flying hour, or 3 litres (3 US quarts) for 50 flying hours, while mine currently averages 40 ml / hour, or 2 litres / 50 hours. It grieves me when others tell that they hardly ever top up their oil tanks.

Oil pressure in flight is just over 4 bar or 60 psi. Oil temperature in the cruise varies seasonally between 80 and 100 deg C ( 176 and 212 deg F ). Living this far north means that most of the year it's at the cooler end.

The inside of the exhaust outlet tube is no more sooty than other people's engines with lower oil consumption. There's no "wet" oiliness evident in the exhaust, but a slight brown exhaust stain extends rearwards under the port wing and along the fuselage.

Last year the four inlet valve stem seals were replaced, but that didn't help either. Also when I borrowed a "cheap" not very clear boroscope, I couldn't see signs of scratching on the cylinder walls.

I'm starting to suspect that a few Rotax 912ULS owners may be deceiving themselves, although those I know locally definitely aren't.

Area-51

Joined: 03 May 2021

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912ULS oil consumption Reply with quote

181 has a 912UL with 1500hrs on it; top end overhauled 160hrs ago. It consistently uses 100ml every 5hrs, and I am not concerned about the consumption at all using Shell Sport+.

Some on other Rotax forums have mentioned using AGIP and other high performance motor cycle oils with better results, i.e reduction in oil consumption. However its unknown if these oils are formulated to retain their performance above 4500' altitudes.

If a 912UL/S is not burning oil then it is possible the fuel pump membrane is leaking fuel into the lubrication system. The result is thinning engine oil snd diminishing of lubrication performance. There was an AD on this issue.

On the preflight rollover burping an engine that takes longer to burp than another would indicate better sealing of the compression rings. A fast burp is not a good thing, it could be a symptom of worn compression rings. So rolling the prop over slower will burp the engine faster than rolling it over in a hurry.

Always check for oil leaks at the common spots and fix them if possible; crankcase parting line, valve pushrod tubes, valve rocker covers, oil return banjo at crankcase, oil pump case cover.

Hope this info helps.

JonathanMilbank

Joined: 14 Apr 2012
Location: Aberdeen area

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912ULS oil consumption Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. Apart from a slight weep from one valve cover, say about 6 drips per hour, which nothing I've tried to date can stem, there's no evidence of even the slightest leaks from the other locations which you mention.

Your explanation about burping / gurgling is a new one on me. I've always done it slowly and steadily and if done after a week or so since last flying, but forgetting to check oil level, it takes about 15 compressions to get the desired result. So I guess that means quite well sealing compression rings.

I've long since learned that to get a fairly accurate oil level reading from my engine, burp / gurgle IMMEDIATELY after the last flight of the day, then wait until the next day to look at the dipstick. Works for me!

Area-51

Joined: 03 May 2021

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912ULS oil consumption Reply with quote

Sounds normal.

Doing the burping first then coming back to check level after the DI is completed seems to work well for oil level checking.

After resealing more than a few early style 912 valve covers I am convinced they suffer from porosity.

h&jeuropa

Joined: 07 Nov 2006

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912ULS oil consumption Reply with quote

I have a different view on the oil check burping.

According to the Rotax Operators Manual,

1. Remove bayonet cap from the oil tank, turn the propeller
slowly by hand in direction of engine rotation several
times to pump residual oil from the engine into the oil
tank.

2 It is essential to build up compression in the combustion
chamber. Maintain the pressure for a few seconds to let
the gas flow via the piston rings into the crankcase. The
speed of rotation is not important but rather the continuous
pressure and the amount of gas which is transferred
into the crankcase.

3 This process is finished when air is returning back to the
oil tank and can be noticed by an audible gurgle from
the open oil tank.

4 Check oil level and add oil if necessary.

My understanding is that over time oil siphons from the tank back to the crankcase after the engine is shut down. "Burping" the engine uses compression to force the oil in the crankcase back into the tank.

We operated our 914 for nearly 1300 hours until the compression in several cylinders got low enough that the engine no longer performed well. They were around 60/80 psi with a differential test and 85 psi with a conventional test.

For the last several years we were unable to get the engine to burp prior to start, even rotating it 50 or 60 revolutions! We quit trying and instead when shutting down the engine, we checked the oil immediately since the tank was full and the siphoning had not yet started.

Our new 914 burps after just a few turns and the compression is much higher, it's difficult to rotate.

Notice that Rotax says to rotate slowly and to maintain the pressure to let the gas flow. That's exactly how we do it. You can feel the pressure drop and hear the air flowing.

I'm surprised that burping after the last flight of the day and then checking the oil level the next day gives a satisfactory result. I'd think the oil would siphon back to the sump during that time.

Just my thoughts and experience.

Jim Butcher

Burrilla

Joined: 25 Apr 2015

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:25 pm    Post subject: Rotax 912ULS oil consumption Reply with quote

I burp exactly as described after the last flight of day.

There is no siphon back even over several days between flight.

I think there is an air gap in the return to the tank, otherwise you wouldn’t hear the burp, that prevents siphoning.

Alan
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 21 Aug 2024, at 03:05, h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43(at)att.net> wrote:

[...]

budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject: Rotax 912ULS oil consumption Reply with quote

Apparently, my photos were too large. OOPS! Here is a reprint of my email from this morning minus photos that are in the word attachment.

Bud Yerly