Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt stop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt stop Reply with quote

Hi John,
Just measured shoot bolt length. Average total exposed length 22mm.
Average total exposed non-tapered length 12mm.
I installed a stainless steel plate to door frame to guard against fibre glass door frame damage. See photo. They cover the extra DL07 installed in the door frame. Distance between DL07 (door and door frame when closed 1-2mm). Don’t believe there is a remote chance of the shoot bolts being forced out, without using the door handle.
Cheers,
Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton
CHRISTCHURCH 8052
Hom 03315166

Quote:
On 17/01/2022, at 06:20, John Wighton <john(at)wighton.net> wrote:

Following on from my last post I reacquainted myself with the build manual sections 34 and 35.

The part DL07 is the guide mounted in the door, this gives the shoot bolt an axis to follow - hence it needs to be aligned accurately such that DL06 (shoot bolt) and the operating rod DL11(F and R) do not bind.

Doing the above should ensure the shoot bolts protrude equally and follow a longitudinal axis.

Drilling and opening up the door-side holes is covered in manual 35. It states:

"In this step you will be cutting the holes in the door rebates to accept the shoot bolts, but first reinforce the area where the holes will be by applying 4 plies of ‘bid’ 30 mm x 30 mm at the back of the door rebates (unmoulded side).
Once this layup has fully cured apply a small dab of wet ink, or paint to the very end of the shoot-bolts. With the door fully pushed home, move the door handle towards the closed position until the end of the bolt strikes and, hopefully, leaves a witness mark on the door reveal.

This is your starting point; drill a 1/4" hole and then with a round file carefully open up the hole just enough to allow a shoot bolt guide to fit in the door recess, so that when the shoot-bolts are fully extended, the doors are fully secured and flush with the outside of the fuselage. Use dabs of paint on
the shoot-bolt each time you want to enlarge the hole so that you can see which areas need filing. Shorten the shoot bolt guides so that they protrude only 10 - 12 mm (3/8" - ½") through the door frame and, ensuring that there is a gap of only 1 - 2 mm between the guides in the door and the frame, bond them in with Araldite 420 and flox."

I would suggest that there should be another bush (like DL07) that goes into the doorframe moulding. This could be CNC machined (or 3D printed in a durable material). The initial opening would 'collect' the DL06 shoot-bolt taper and guide it into the new bushing.

An enlarged flange on this new bushing could be made to act in a similar way to the UglyMod moulding - i.e. preventing the shoot-bolt from moving rearwards if misaligned.

In summary
1. There seems to be a wide tolerance on shoot-bolt length.
2. Physical examination of Europa shoot-bolts suggests that the end taper and radius of the bolt is highly variable.
3. The locking mech in the door has a nice bushing/guide.
4. The shoot-bolt on the doorframe locates into a plain hole that has no dimensional tolerances (ref build manual 35). The dimension given has no datum and may be open to misinterpretation.
5. A doorframe mounted bushing - correctly designed, should enable more accurate engagement of the shoot-bolt.
6. Are the shoot-bolts installed in aircraft sufficiently long?

Discuss.......

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=505690#505690

====================================

Quote:

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.03 KB
 Viewed:  952 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

John Wighton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt stop Reply with quote

Thanks Tim, very useful.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kelvin Weston

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt stop Reply with quote

Gents
Now I am confused.......
Are we suggesting that early kits were supplied with only 4 DL07 shoot bolt guides?
My kit, No: 497 was supplied around 2001 and certainly came with 8 guides.

Chapter 35, Step 5 of the current build manual, although badly written, implies that a guide should be fitted in the fuselage door frame and states:
"open up the hole just enough to allow a shoot bolt guide to fit in the door recess" and "bond them in with Araldite 420 and flox".

That said, it is difficult to tell from the pictures in the current AAIB report if the guides are fitted. However, there is no obvious indication of a shoot bolt having been pulled from the fuselage. The paint damage looks like the normal door scraping found on most Europas.

Having read previous reports of door losses, I am not aware of any reports of damage to the rear fuselage door frame caused by extended shoot bolts being ripped from the fuselage.
My understanding has always been that the door losses were due to the rear shoot bolt having been extended (closed) but outside of the fuselage door frame and therefore not secured.
This is what the current LAA mod is designed to prevent.

I used Bud's advice when fitting my doors and used a washer to set the clearance between the door and fuselage guides. This sets the door in the correct position and ensures good shoot bolt penetration. There is no-way when the door is closed correctly that the door is departing the aircraft without causing severe disruption to the fuselage door frame, Such damage would be obvious on inspection.

I still believe failing to close the door correctly is the cause of door loss rather than any basic design issues.
If early kits have been completed without DL07 guides in the fuselage door frames, they appear to have held up pretty well.

Kelv Weston
Kit 497
kelv@kdweston.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: