Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY LOC/VOR_G.S. Antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: DIY LOC/VOR_G.S. Antenna Reply with quote

At 12:04 PM 7/18/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "merlewagner2" <wagnermerle(at)gmail.com>

Bob,

Just took a couple photos of my antenna. I did two calibrations, one for Glide slope and one for Localizer.

Not sure how the photos will come out. These are attached.

I don't remember the length I initially used for antenna. I bench tested and it looked OK. After install the freqs changed, most likely due to frame proximity. There are some wire and and ferrites between the connector and the foil. This will take up some length. I had to cut the foil to get in the freq range.

Interesting. I'm wondering if the 'short' elements
are not really functioning as resonant radiators, rather
reactive elements that influence the uhf characteristics
of the overall assembly.

We know that the basic 1/2-wave dipole offers
significantly effective performance at odd
harmonics of the fundamental. If memory serves,
LOC/VOR transmitters operate in the 108 to 118 Mhz
range. 3x these numbers are 324 to 354 . . . more
than the 328 to 336 bandwidth occupied by the
contemporary GS transmitters.

This means that your barefoot LOC/VOR antenna
is quite capable of providing GS signals to
your ILS receiver. For many years, GS
receivers have been installed using band-pass
couplers on the LOC/VOR thus allowing one
STOCK, LOC/VOR antenna to service both VORNAV
and ILS systems.

The attached photo is one of what must be
dozens of examples for this kind of device.
I'm thinking that if you removed the little
'stubs' from the array, your swr plots over
the two band widths of interest would not
be significantly different . . . indeed
both acceptable for the task at hand.

Given the VHF antenna's propensity for acceptable
performance at third harmonic, it is almost a
certainty that the observably 'too small' size
of these stubs is of no benefit to the antenna's
performance.

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

DM_H22-1_VOR-LOC-GS_Coupler.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.29 KB
 Viewed:  2553 Time(s)

DM_H22-1_VOR-LOC-GS_Coupler.jpg

merlewagner2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: DIY LOC/VOR_G.S. Antenna Reply with quote

I agree the VHF antenna (without the GS antenna ears) will work very well for receiving the GS freqs.

I wanted to see how the performance could be enhanced with the antenna tuned to the different bands. The only verifiable method to prove this would be testing the antenna with and without the GS elements. I just don't have the time to do this at the moment. A future test.

I am going crazy getting the Tailwind ready for it's first flight this weekend. Everytime I try something another problem arises. Guess that is why this is experimental aviation.

I do know that trimming the GS elements adjusted the antenna VSWR to the freq range I wanted. I did this in real time by watching my NANOVNA output while trimming. So the ears do have a major impact on the freq band.

I also ran the antenna to an antenna multi-coupler versus the splitter you show. This also guarantees improved reception as the signal level is reduced with the splitters.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

A & P
Building scale P51, rebuilding Tailwind W10
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: DIY LOC/VOR_G.S. Antenna Reply with quote

At 07:11 AM 7/22/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "merlewagner2" <wagnermerle(at)gmail.com>

I agree the VHF antenna (without the GS antenna ears) will work very well for receiving the GS freqs.

I wanted to see how the performance could be enhanced with the antenna tuned to the different bands. The only verifiable method to prove this would be testing the antenna with and without the GS elements. I just don't have the time to do this at the moment. A future test.

I'm planning an experiment centered on
Jim Wier's suggestion for a dual band
121.5/406 Mhz ELT antenna. These two
frequencies are not harmonically related.
I've got the elements built. Planning
to explore balun options too. I'll document
the exercise and post here.

Quote:
I am going crazy getting the Tailwind ready for it's first flight this weekend. Everytime I try something another problem arises. Guess that is why this is experimental aviation.

Sounds like the engineering flight test hangar
at Beech!

Quote:
I do know that trimming the GS elements adjusted the antenna VSWR to the freq range I wanted. I did this in real time by watching my NANOVNA output while trimming. So the ears do have a major impact on the freq band.

When I get the ELT experiment done, I'll
repeat repeat your VOR-LOC/GS experiment
and see what I get. We'll compare
notes.

Quote:
I also ran the antenna to an antenna multi-coupler versus the splitter you show. This also guarantees improved reception as the signal level is reduced with the splitters.

Be wary of distribution amplifier type couplers.
The 'ideal' gain is zero. I.e. same output for a given
input at the frequencies of interest. Keep in mind that
our navigation equipment is sorta tailored to be compatible
with legacy practices for transmitted signals, typical
(passive) antennas, reasonably low loss coax, etc.

Adding active devices into the feedline has some
risk for (1) overloading the receiver(s) on
the ILS system and/or (2) increasing risks for
inter-modulation interference of desired signals
by unrelated/undesired signals.

Study the specs for your chosen device for assurance
that the thing adds value and does not add risk.

Bob . . .

steve(at)tomasara.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: DIY LOC/VOR_G.S. Antenna Reply with quote

Bob said:"I'm planning an experiment centered on Jim Wier's suggestion for a dual band 121.5/406 Mhz ELT antenna."
I needed a compact 121.5/406 antenna for my Longeze.  I tried a few configurations and the attached photo shows what worked the best.  It's a shortened dipole for 121.5 in parallel with a full size 406 dipole.  It's mounted to the pilot seat back.  The feed line needs to leave the intersection roughly along the virtual ground plane (actually, splitting the difference between the two).  I have better VSWR with this configuration than I got with a couple of different (one portable, one for permanent mount) antennas supplied by the ELT manufacturer (purchased for test - so if anyone wants them, I'm happy to sell them...)
Steve Stearns
O235 Longeze
Boulder / Longmont CO

IMG_20180518_151501.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  923.66 KB
 Viewed:  2472 Time(s)

IMG_20180518_151501.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: