DIgital video camera mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
davisn

Joined: 07 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: DIgital video camera mount Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Can anyone direct me to plans for an extrernal digital video camera
mount for the Yak 52?
My son, a video producer here in NZ, is proposing choreographing
aerobatics to the music of a local band. He wants to be able to mount
the small hand held camera somewhere either on the tail or fuselage
looking forward over the canopy.
The idea is to turn the camera on prior to start, fly a precise sequence in
mountainous terrain and then dub the music to the video - I think.
I would be grateful for any ideas.
This is probably a oncer, so, if there is a mount that could be hired,
perhaps all the better.
Thanks
Norm Davis

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

_________________
Norm Davis, CDR USN ret.
kpickford(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: DIgital video camera mount Reply with quote

Try Blue Bicycle Flicks in Wellington - they produce the WOW DVD and they
had cameras mounted in the Sukhoi etc - If they can't help they may have a
contact.

Regards
Keith
---

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
Scooter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: DIgital video camera mount Reply with quote

It may be more trouble than it's worth. I mounted a digital still/video camera on three points of my aircraft - wing tip, underwing tie-down and tail tie-down. There was a LOT of shake on the wingtip and somewhat less on the underwing and tail tie-downs. I corrected the shake with the help of several free software products (VirtualDub with the Deshaker add-on) - but the quality is a little spotty.

I built my mount cheaply using a few pieces flat and angled aluminum scrap. I attached the camera to the mount using the tripod mount and cable ties. For the wing mount i attached it to the inspection cover in the wing tip via the four screws that hold it on. The mount has a piece of aluminum sheet with a stiffener folded over it as a windscreen. For the tie-downs i used bolts and muffler clamps.

Another consideration is the lens. It's got to be a fisheye. For this i bought a cheapo 180 degree fisheye on ebay and i got cheapo quality.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

Last edited by Scooter on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: DIgital video camera mount Reply with quote

Norm,
I have a Samsung sport digital camera with external lens that I velcro to
the top of my G meter and move as needed to my helmet. Am looking for the
screw in malleable mounting rod that I have seen the camera on in the past.
It is small, about the size of your wallet. Gives pretty good pictures that
are not affected by the A/c vibration. It may have a fisheye lens but
truthfully, I have not taken the time to go to the website to see if it is
offered.
One more idea for you.
Doc
Quote:
Can anyone direct me to plans for an extrernal digital video camera
mount for the Yak 52?
My son, a video producer here in NZ, is proposing choreographing
aerobatics to the music of a local band. He wants to be able to mount
the small hand held camera somewhere either on the tail or fuselage
looking forward over the canopy.
The idea is to turn the camera on prior to start, fly a precise sequence
in

Quote:
mountainous terrain and then dub the music to the video - I think.
I would be grateful for any ideas.
This is probably a oncer, so, if there is a mount that could be hired,
perhaps all the better.
Thanks
Norm Davis

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours