tailwheel powder coating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List
vincefrazier(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: tailwheel powder coating Reply with quote

SNIPTime: 05:11:24 PM PST US
From: Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com (dralle(at)matronics.com)>
Subject: Tailwheel Bearing - Separating Bronze Bearing...

Dear Listers,

Well, I disassembled the tailwheel on the RV-6 and RV-8 this weekend and took the
wad of parts including the steel spring, bearing knuckles, forks and little
hub caps to the local powdercoaters.

But they won't accept the bearing knuckle because it has a bronze or brass sleeve!
They claim it will leak oil and make a mess in the oven.  They expect me
to somehow get that sleeve out of the steel part!  That seems crazy?  Is that
even possible?  Surely it won't just come out with a gentle knocking, will it?

Help...

Thanks!
Matt Dralle  SNIP

Matt,

Don't take it out unless you are prepared to install a brand new one, which requires minor machining around the cam groove. Removal will undoubtedly loosen it to the point that it is sloppy.

FWIW, we use engineered plastic bushings in our mounting sockets... but those can't be baked either!  They are easier to install/machine, more durable, and don't require the locking screw to retain them.  (Don't mistake the locking screw for a grease zerk... it's useless to grease the spindle with it.  You need to disassemble the parts to properly grease them.)

I suggest that you bead blast the parts and paint them. Sorry.

FWIW, in my experience, powder coating is not appropriate for aviation steel parts. ( I can feel the flames already.) For example, I have an Avid Flyer engine mount in my shop right now that is about 20 years old and the powder coating is cracked and flaking in several spots.  There is heavy rust beneath.... which is invisible until it flakes.  The plane has been hangared all of it's life and has only 250 hours on it.  To me, that powder coating is an accident waiting to happen.  It's also rather difficult to strip off.  Why anyone would use it is beyond my grasp.  Sure, it looks nice... but is it worth your life if it hides cracks and rust?

YMMV,
Vince
www.flyboyaccessories.com
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
Gary.A.Sobek

Location: SoCAL USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: tailwheel powder coating Reply with quote

Echoing some of what Vince said, I do not like Powder Coast on high stress steel airplane parts.  The Powder coat tends to hide cracks that paint will not.  Do you want a crack to develop in one of your steel parts and be hidden from view?

Gary A. Sobek
"My Sanity" RV-6 N157GS O-320 Hartzell,
2,720+ Flying Hours So. CA, USA

Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 08:47:53 -0500
Subject: tailwheel powder coating
From: vincefrazier(at)gmail.com
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com

SNIPTime: 05:11:24 PM PST US
From: Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com (dralle(at)matronics.com)>

[...]

===========
get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
HCRV6(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: tailwheel powder coating Reply with quote

Back when I was building my RV-6 slider, I discovered that my brand new powder coated canopy bar was rusted in many places under the powder coating. The only way I discovered that was that I accidentally chipped the powder coating in one place and noticed the rust underneath. It took me several weeks of grinding and chipping to remove all the powder coat so that I could paint the bar. After that I would be very reluctant to use powder coating on critical steel parts.

Harry Crosby
RV-6 N16CX, 1082 hours

Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 08:47:53 -0500
From: vincefrazier(at)gmail.com
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com

SNIPTime: 05:11:24 PM PST US
From: Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com (dralle(at)matronics.com)>

[...]

mr.sun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: tailwheel powder coating Reply with quote

What about the engine mount?
Greg On Jul 2, 2013 10:55 AM, <HCRV6(at)comcast.net (HCRV6(at)comcast.net)> wrote:[quote] Back when I was building my RV-6 slider, I discovered that my brand new powder coated canopy bar was rusted in many places under the powder coating.  The only way I discovered that was that I accidentally chipped the powder coating in one place and noticed the rust underneath.  It took me several weeks of grinding and chipping to remove all the powder coat so that I could paint the bar.  After that I would be very reluctant to use powder coating on critical steel parts.

Harry Crosby
RV-6 N16CX, 1082 hours

Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 08:47:53 -0500
From: vincefrazier(at)gmail.com (vincefrazier(at)gmail.com)
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com (rv-list(at)matronics.com)

SNIPTime: 05:11:24 PM PST US
From: Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com (dralle(at)matronics.com)>

[...]

_________________
Greg RV-7
HCRV6(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: tailwheel powder coating Reply with quote

After the canopy frame experience, I ordered the engine mount bare and painted it myself.

Harry Crosby
RV-6 N16CX, 1082 hours

Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 08:47:53 -0500
From: vincefrazier(at)gmail.com (vincefrazier(at)gmail.com)
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com (rv-list(at)matronics.com)

SNIPTime: 05:11:24 PM PST US
From: Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com (dralle(at)matronics.com)>

[...]

SCHYBOLT(at)austin.rr.com
Guest

Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 08:47:53 -0500
From: vincefrazier(at)gmail.com (vincefrazier(at)gmail.com)
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com (rv-list(at)matronics.com)

SNIPTime: 05:11:24 PM PST US
From: Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com (dralle(at)matronics.com)>

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: tailwheel powder coating Reply with quote

What about all the steel parts that Vans supplies already powder coated?
Like main gear mounts, engine mount, various bellcranks, etc.???

Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 08:47:53 -0500
From: vincefrazier(at)gmail.com <mailto:vincefrazier(at)gmail.com>
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com <mailto:rv-list(at)matronics.com>

SNIPTime: 05:11:24 PM PST US
From: Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com <mailto:dralle(at)matronics.com>>

www.flyboyaccessories.com <http://www.flyboyaccessories.com>

*

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
http://forums.matronics.com
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

*

*
*

*

t="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

*

*

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
*
*
*

-----
No virus found in this message.

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
Hopperdhh(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: tailwheel powder coating Reply with quote

When I bent the canopy frame to make it fit I got cracks in the power coating and scraped some off and found rust. I thought it was probably rusty when they painted it. That could be the case with other parts as well.

Dan Hopper
RV-7A N766DH flying since 2004

In a message dated 7/2/2013 11:51:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, kellym(at)aviating.com writes:
Quote:

What about all the steel parts that Vans supplies already powder coated?
Like main gear mounts, engine mount, various bellcranks, etc.???

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
vanremog(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: tailwheel powder coating Reply with quote

I agree with Harry.  Powder Coating is a decorative coating only, not a proper aircraft quality finish with corrosion protective capabilities. Van's should never have used it in these applications on steel in my opinion.

-GV

--

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
HCRV6(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: tailwheel powder coating Reply with quote

My taildragger gear was unfinished as received, painted it myself.

Harry Crosby
RV-6 N16CX, 1082 hours

Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 08:47:53 -0500
From: vincefrazier(at)gmail.com (vincefrazier(at)gmail.com)
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com (rv-list(at)matronics.com)

SNIPTime: 05:11:24 PM PST US
From: Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com (dralle(at)matronics.com)>

[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours