Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel pump cooling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Fuel pump cooling Reply with quote

For those of you that have installed a cooling shroud on your fuel pump, are you using the entire inch diameter for the flange hole to steal the air? Is it enough / too much?

I'm thinking I might open it the full inch and put inserts to reduce it...but then how do I know what's enough.....

Ralph

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
n223rv(at)wolflakeairport

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Fuel pump cooling Reply with quote

I used the 3/4" Vans corrugated cooling tube. It fits nicely inside the cooling shroud inlet.

Not sure if I have too little cooling. It seems to work well on my RV-10

-Mike Kraus
RV-10 Flying

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 11, 2012, at 7:27 AM, "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

Quote:

For those of you that have installed a cooling shroud on your fuel pump, are you using the entire inch diameter for the flange hole to steal the air? Is it enough / too much?

I'm thinking I might open it the full inch and put inserts to reduce it...but then how do I know what's enough.....

Ralph

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Fuel pump cooling Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the info - I'm guessing that you don't have any hot-start problems or other evidence of vapor-lock.

This would seem to be a good starting point...

Ralph
--

mr.sun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Fuel pump cooling Reply with quote

I have been following this fuel pump cooling thread and wonder if I need to cool my pump.   My RV7 has fuel injection with no return line and a black cowl.  If I'm not careful on a hot day, it is tough to restart after a short shutdown. 

Does cooling the pump during flight do anything to reduce the heat soaking of the fuel & lines during the shut down?  I was wondering about perhaps some race car insulation on the injector lines coming out of the spider on top of the engine.

Question is, though, is it worth it?   Has anyone found it makes a difference?

Greg

do not archive

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

Mike,

Thanks for the info - I'm guessing that you don't have any hot-start problems or other evidence of vapor-lock.

Ralph

--

n223rv(at)wolflakeairport

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Fuel pump cooling Reply with quote

I have an RV-10 with a fuel purge valve. So hot starts are not a problem. No idea how much the fuel pump air helps, but Logic says it has to.

-Mike

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 11, 2012, at 9:38 AM, "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

[quote]

Mike,

Ralph

--

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Fuel pump cooling Reply with quote

Like Mike I have the purge valve. I use the purge valve for hot-restarts and the pump cooler would start cooling the pump immediatel after restart which would prevent ongoing issues. I do get a little roughness right after a hot-restart and I have been running the rpm up to combat that...I think this will help - hence its installation.

The only thing that it would help would be to remove heat when the engine is actually running. Without an auxilliary blower, nothing happens when the engine's not running.

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: