Pinhole leak in top of tank.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
dave.go

Joined: 20 Jul 2009

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Pinhole leak in top of tank. Reply with quote

I arrived at the airport yesterday and found a section of the finish lifted about 2" wide and 5-6" long near the top inboard portion of the right tank. quite a small leak, I assume it's a pinhole, quite small at any rate. I will have to remove the wing to address it. I looked up all the posts about sloshing with various compounds. My tanks were made in 1992 and I'm looking for experience with various compounds.
Is sloshing with acetone or MEK and then with thinned Kreem going to work? Is it still the factory recommended solution? I ask because the Kreem site specifically says it is NOT for fibreglass tanks.
Caswell plating has an epoxy resin that is compatible with fibreglass, but everyone talking about it on their site says it hardens rock hard and I'm thinking flexible is a good idea for Kitfox tanks.
http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm
Hirsch Auto has fibreglass compatible and flexible sealer. http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GTS
Kreem is of course still available and I could simply replace the tank. The problem is not related to alcohol, it's simply a small leak that I think has just developed over time.
Looking for experiences/ discussion for a solution. Speed is not a factor I am laying the aircraft up for a while to address a couple of problems.
Dave G.
KF IV 1050 582 [quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
dave

Joined: 22 Sep 2006

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pinhole leak in top of tank. Reply with quote

Pinhole leak in top of tank.Get some expoty from Canadian Tire or Home =
depot -- Marine epoxy should work fine for top of tank

looks something like this=
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_mrn_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Marine=
.htm

or get that knead together stuff

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

_________________
Realtime Kitfox movies to separate the internet chatter from the truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/kitfoxflyer
Hundreds of Kitfox Movies
Most viewed Kitfox on youtube
Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Pinhole leak in top of tank. Reply with quote

Dave,
I had the same problem with a 1993 tank, however mine appeared as small BB sized bubbles in the top tank inboard of the filler neck. Since my tanks were factory Kreemed, I resloshed. Kreem and fiberglass? That sounds like a little bit of Lawyer speak to me. I would think that Kreem would adhere better to a resin than to metal and they claim independent tasting shows it is ethanol resistant, but that is just my logic talking. Personally, I think I would go with Kreem. My new projects tanks are 1992 vintage - factory Kreemed, but never seen gas, so take it for what it's worth.
Lowell

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Pinhole leak in top of tank. Reply with quote

Six or seven years since I re-Kreemed my fiberglas tanks, and they're
still going strong without leaks or any other problems...and that's
almost 1200 flying hours.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062
Prince prop 64 x 30, P-tip
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection (sleeved to 36mm)

On Oct 30, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Lowell Fitt wrote:

[...]

Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
occom

Joined: 26 Aug 2006

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Pinhole leak in top of tank. Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be re- sloshing with thinned Kreem, and also
hitting the area with epoxy, and also applying a thin sheet of aluminum and
Proseal over the area. The last one was suggested and I didn't think it
would look very nice, but I'll have to patch over the area anyway so it
might be an idea.

Dave G
KF IV 1050 582
[quote] --

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours