Oxygen systems and refilling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
saolesen(at)sirentel.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Oxygen systems and refilling Reply with quote

I'm planning a trip out to Boise next month and have decided that a portable O2 system would be wise. Any recommendations on systems would be appreciated. Usage would be sporadic.

My home airport has no FBO and no way to refill an O2 bottle. Is leasing a large single cylinder of O2 and self filling a viable way to go? Given occassional usage, would it be smarter to send it to be refilled by an O2 supplier? What does it cost to refill a 22 cu ft bottle?

Sheldon Olesen
N475PV. 292 hrs

Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Jim Berry

Location: Denver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Oxygen systems and refilling Reply with quote

While leasing a large cylinder is certainly viable, it is probably not cost effective for only occasional use. I leased two 300 cu ft cylinders for 10 years, and with the cost of the transfill hose and pressure gage, I have about $800 invested. I did it for the convenience, not to save money.

Jim Berry
N15JB

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rleffler

Joined: 05 Nov 2006

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Oxygen systems and refilling Reply with quote

Go to your local welding supply house or a medical equip supplier. O2 should be less expensive from the welder supply house.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 24, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Sheldon Olesen <saolesen(at)sirentel.net> wrote:

Quote:

I'm planning a trip out to Boise next month and have decided that a portable O2 system would be wise. Any recommendations on systems would be appreciated. Usage would be sporadic.

My home airport has no FBO and no way to refill an O2 bottle. Is leasing a large single cylinder of O2 and self filling a viable way to go? Given occassional usage, would it be smarter to send it to be refilled by an O2 supplier? What does it cost to refill a 22 cu ft bottle?

Sheldon Olesen
N475PV. 292 hrs

Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Bob Leffler
N410BL - Phase I
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Oxygen systems and refilling Reply with quote

I'd go for a nice system that is pulse demand if you plan to use
it a lot. The big catch is that unless you have a demand
system, there is quite a bit of waste of O2. Even the balloon
"conserving" cannulas are big wasters. My demand system by
Precise Flight is supposed to be about 3x more efficient. The
Mountain High pulse systems are even better yet by a bunch.
The big issue is that even with my system, I can't plan a
trip to say, Oregon, without planning to fill my O2 if I
want to use oxygen for 4 people for a long amount of time.
A 3x increase in efficiency can make the difference between
spending $35-50 to fill at the remote airport. Filling my
own probably costs me $10 or less, but requires a big cylinder
lease and some hardware. If you're only a very occasional
user, I'd just buy a real good system and pay someone
to fill it. For me, I already owned the large cylinders
to fill from so it wasn't a big deal. If you don't
buy/lease at least 2 of the large cylinders, it won't
give you a very full efficient fill, either....3 is even
better. So the investment to get a good self-fill
system isn't nil....that's why I'd just probably recommend
for the occasional user even, buying a very nice system
like Mountain High, so that you operate as efficiently
as possible and don't need to fill as often.

BTW: If you get a good deal from a local gas supplier,
filling your small bottle should be maybe $20 or so
I'd think. FBO's will likely charge at least $35.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive
On 8/24/2011 9:42 AM, Sheldon Olesen wrote:
Quote:

Olesen<saolesen(at)sirentel.net>

I'm planning a trip out to Boise next month and have decided that a
portable O2 system would be wise. Any recommendations on systems
would be appreciated. Usage would be sporadic.

My home airport has no FBO and no way to refill an O2 bottle. Is
leasing a large single cylinder of O2 and self filling a viable way
to go? Given occassional usage, would it be smarter to send it to be
refilled by an O2 supplier? What does it cost to refill a 22 cu ft
bottle?

Sheldon Olesen N475PV. 292 hrs

Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Oxygen systems and refilling Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the leases are these days. I thought before
I had been paying $150 for 5 years or something like that,
per cylinder. I spent only about $100-125 in transfill
hardware. So unless leases have changed a lot, it shouldn't
take $800 to get set up for filling. At the time, I
could have bought my OWN 2 large cylinders and owned them
for that kind of cash. I used to have to do a lot of
this stuff because I owned or leased Argon, Helium, and
Oxygen cylinders for doing deep mixed-gas technical SCUBA
dives. I still own a 400cf Helium cylinder, and converted
4 of them to Oxygen for the hangar. I haven't leased
for a while though. I would figure that unless pricing
is vastly different, a guy should be able to get set
up for $500 or so on a lease.

Not sure what current market value is on cylinders, but
http://www.jandrweldingsupply.com/store/GasCylinders/LargeHighPressure.html

..this place shows 300cuft with CGA-540 valves for $362
each. That seems like a great price. So for someone
setting up a fill system in the hangar, I'd go for
about 3 of them, plus a fill hose. Maybe $1200 or so
if you want to buy instead of lease. Keep in mind that
the companies make it painful to buy sometimes, if they
don't fill locally....every time you want a fill they
may send it out for 2 weeks. If you lease, they just
swap with you. Also, if you own, you pay for hydro
tests. If you lease, it's part of the lease. So for
convenience, leasing is better. I have 4 of them
in the hangar, and I go *years* between needing a
bottle filled. So it's not too bad for me.

Jim's right though...convenience is really the driving
force behind doing it yourself. Unless you use a ton
of it, cost won't be less by D-I-Y.
Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive

On 8/24/2011 10:05 AM, Jim Berry wrote:
Quote:

While leasing a large cylinder is certainly viable, it is probably
not cost effective for only occasional use. I leased two 300 cu ft
cylinders for 10 years, and with the cost of the transfill hose and
pressure gage, I have about $800 invested. I did it for the
convenience, not to save money.

Jim Berry N15JB

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
pmnewlon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Oxygen systems and refilling Reply with quote

Depending on the shop, some scuba shops can fill pure O2. In Columbus, 'breathing air systems' on East Broad St. will fill them.

Be careful about doing your own fills - I am a 'training advocate' here. As a long-time diver, I've actually seen the aftermath of an O2 tank explosion. Pure O2 tanks are prepped, handled and filled much differently than lower PPO2 tanks.

Phil
-------------------------
I'm planning a trip out to Boise next month and have decided that a portable O2 system would be wise. Any recommendations on systems would be appreciated. Usage would be sporadic.

My home airport has no FBO and no way to refill an O2 bottle. Is leasing a large single cylinder of O2 and self filling a viable way to go? Given occassional usage, would it be smarter to send it to be refilled by an O2 supplier? What does it cost to refill a 22 cu ft bottle?

Sheldon Olesen
N475PV. 292 hrs

Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
dlm34077(at)q.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Oxygen systems and refilling Reply with quote

Why not get a prescription for a medical O2 refill?
--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Oxygen systems and refilling Reply with quote

There's no reason to get a prescription for medical O2.
It would probably cost you more anyway.
The fact is, at most sites, ALL of the O2 is filled
off of the exact same tap, be it welding, aviation, or
medical. The main differences are in the handling, or
in some cases the filling. For filling some varieties
they draw a vacuum on the cylinder before filling it.
Welding requires high purity O2, just as much as medical
does. Moisture specs are different for aviation, but,
the same tap fills each, as they are all dry. So
dealing with it by getting a prescription is just a
prescription for adding more cost and hassle.

And Phil is right...there are valid worries when filling
O2. I've seen an O2 fire, and I've run a mixed gas
and O2/Nitrox filling station for a few years. There
are 2 major things to consider....one is that everything
you fill with high O2 percentages should be cleaned
and have special lubes for O2 service. The other is
that whenever you open a valve, you should do it
slowly. Adiabatic compression has very real effects on
temperature and the ability to ignite a fire. So always
open a valve slowly. If you do those things, there
really is very little to worry about.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive
On 8/24/2011 11:45 AM, DLM wrote:
[quote]

Why not get a prescription for a medical O2 refill?
--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
jdriggs49(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Oxygen systems and refilling Reply with quote

No reason for getting a Rx for oxygen. We get it delivered to the dental office I share with my daughter and it comes in the same tanks and from the same source as the welding oxygen I have at home. Same thing for nursing homes. Only very large hospitals get it delivered in liquid form. Doctor's office, nursing home, welding shops and FBOs ALL get the same thing. The only difference is the price you pay as a consumer. Been there. Done that. All the above.

[quote] From: dlm34077(at)q.com
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Oxygen systems and refilling
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:45:24 -0700

--> RV10-List message posted by: "DLM" <dlm34077(at)q.com>

Why not get a prescription for a medical O2 refill?
--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
rene(at)felker.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Oxygen systems and refilling Reply with quote

I just purchase a system this year and it only cost me between $450 and
$500. Don't remember the exact number.

1 Large Cylinder (Purchase)
1 Transfill
1 Dolly

I have a built in Mountain High system, so I think in the long run it will
work great for me. Can't tell yet since the system is so efficient. The
convenience of having one is more important to me. I don't even start
worrying about the O2 level until it gets to 500 PSI. I use the system on
every cross country flight, anytime above 10,000. Living in Utah, that is
every cross country flight.....for the most part. I have never had to fill
off station. When I made my trip to southern Cal last year, with 4 soles on
board, on O2 for about 10 hours.....I only used half a tank. What a great
system.....but very pricy.
Rene' Felker
N423CF
801-721-6080

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours