push to test circuit for differing loads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
pmnewlon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: push to test circuit for differing loads Reply with quote

I posted on VAF yesterday and got a partial answer to my question there, which caused me to have more questions so I thought I better get to the right place!

I have seven annunciator LEDs on my panel; as it turns out all but one switch the positive side of the LED but one switches the ground. I understand how to arrange diodes in a push to test circuit if all the LEDs are switched the same way but cannot find an example of a circuit where there is a mixture of ground and positive switching with a single push to test button. The response to my post on VAF suggested a double pole push button but I have not found a suitably small DPST (ON) device. I'd really like to make the circuit with a small SPST (ON) pushbutton but am short on the circuit knowledge.

Does anyone have a reference diagram of such a circuit that I could 'borrow'?

Thanks! Phil

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
JLuckey(at)pacbell.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: push to test circuit for differing loads Reply with quote

Phil,

Just off the top of my head (and without having seen a schematic of your
particular setup) I'd say that what you're asking for is not possible. In a
single pole you could handle the ground legs of the test circuit (with
proper isolation diodes as you mentioned) or the high-side circuit, but not
both.

But I have another suggestion: You could add a small 2-pole relay to manage
the LED test circuitry and control its coil w/ your SPST pushbutton. There
are all kinds of cheap, circuit board mountable, smaller-than-a-sugar-cube
relays that could do the job (I don't have part numbers available to me at
the moment).

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: push to test circuit for differing loads Reply with quote

At 06:01 PM 6/21/2011, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "pmnewlon" <philn(at)toosan.com>

I posted on VAF yesterday and got a partial answer to my question there, which caused me to have more questions so I thought I better get to the right place!

I have seven annunciator LEDs on my panel; as it turns out all but one switch the positive side of the LED but one switches the ground. I understand how to arrange diodes in a push to test circuit if all the LEDs are switched the same way but cannot find an example of a circuit where there is a mixture of ground and positive switching with a single push to test button. The response to my post on VAF suggested a double pole push button but I have not found a suitably small DPST (ON) device. I'd really like to make the circuit with a small SPST (ON) pushbutton but am short on the circuit knowledge.

Does anyone have a reference diagram of such a circuit that I could 'borrow'?

You betcha. Did this in some airplane wayyyyyyy back when.
The annunciators were light bulbs instead of leds but
the principal is the same.

You can get the parts at Radio Shack . . .

http://tinyurl.com/3lu334y

The transistors operate saturated so given
the intermittent duty service, will not require
heat-sinks. Wire 'em up and truck on. You could
probably get it to work fine with physically
smaller transistors but these TO-200 devices are
robust and easy to mount to a piece of perf-board.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
sprocket(at)vx-aviation.c
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: push to test circuit for differing loads Reply with quote

Check out the IL-4A or IL-12A on this site:
http://vx-aviation.com/page_2.html

The datasheet has the schematic for what you want if you feel like building your own.

Thx,
Vern Little
Vx Aviation

[...]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c

No virus found in this message.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
JLuckey(at)pacbell.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: push to test circuit for differing loads Reply with quote

Ok – devil’s advocate here…

Bob’s schematic parts count: 2 transistors, 4 resistors = 6 components – or -- ONE small, 2-amp, DIP DPDT relay.

Which way is stronger/better/faster/easier?

[...]

06/21/11

Quote:
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
Quote:
9
[...]
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
pmnewlon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: push to test circuit for differing loads Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your excellent input! Phil

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours