M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
hammerhead

Joined: 02 Oct 2010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

Hey guys

100LL vs 98UL + lead additive. There are so many views on this. What is your knowledge?

Engines requiring leaded gasoline usually take damage to the valve seats if they are run on unleaded fuel. When it comes to mogas the issue of ethanol being added to mogas often arises as it can cause vapor lock on altitude.

According to the gasoline company I have spoken to they do not add any ethanol at all to their 98 octane mogas. It is, however, unleaded. Well, lead additive can be purchased and added. So running an M14P on 98UL + lead additive should not be a problem, right?

Regards, Henrik

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
jan.mevis(at)informavia.b
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

If you can find and buy the tetra-ethyl lead. And add it correctly.

Jan

[quote] --

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
ssssskippy

Joined: 02 May 2010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

Hi

The best way:

- Fill with 100LL one time per five full tank. So you drop some lead on the
valves.

- Use only unleaded 98, in fact no ethanol in it, you can verify it by using
a glass tube with water.

- Don't use winter mogas98 in summer, and no summer mogas98 in winter to
avoid vapour lock.

- Don't let a 100LL and mogas98 mix in the tanks for a long time (more than
1 month) to avoid crystals precipitation.
My two cents

Olivier

If you can find and buy the tetra-ethyl lead. And add it correctly.

Jan

[quote] --

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
jan.mevis(at)informavia.b
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

One thing is certain: Avgas 100LL is the same EVERYWHERE, always a warranted
quality and composition. I don't know if that is also true for mogas.
In practice, cargas is also often used in Europe, but there can be a
significant difference between different brands. Also you do not really know
what additives have been added.

So if you don't use avgas, it'll always be a kind of a gamble.

Is there a real money saving by burning cargas/mogas? I doubt it since
you'll spend the money saved on an earlier overhaul. I've seen Yaks
returning to base with an engine that did not run smooth. After checking it
all, finally the fuel (cargas) was drained, and avgas refilled. And the next
flight was without problems.

Only my 2 cents,

Jan

[quote] --

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
radiopicture

Joined: 23 Jun 2008

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

I think what everyone's worrying about is the eventual discontinuance of 100LL, not saving a few cents.

On Jun 1, 2011, at 3:25 PM, Jan Mevis wrote:

[quote]

One thing is certain: Avgas 100LL is the same EVERYWHERE, always a warranted
quality and composition. I don't know if that is also true for mogas.
In practice, cargas is also often used in Europe, but there can be a
significant difference between different brands. Also you do not really know
what additives have been added.

So if you don't use avgas, it'll always be a kind of a gamble.

Is there a real money saving by burning cargas/mogas? I doubt it since
you'll spend the money saved on an earlier overhaul. I've seen Yaks
returning to base with an engine that did not run smooth. After checking it
all, finally the fuel (cargas) was drained, and avgas refilled. And the next
flight was without problems.

Only my 2 cents,

Jan

> --

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
tigeryak18t

Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Location: PARIS FRANCE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

Already a big topic on the list..
The companies says that they do not add ethanol and it is partially thrue. In fact there are between 0 and ten percent of Ethanol because they wash the pipes between two productions.
But we are running on 98 without additive since one year without any problems. Just atke care of filtering your fuel.
But if you want an additive, the best one would be to add about 10% of 100LL. Low Lead is very high lead today !!!!

In the eastern countries some use 95 with Ethanol. Their principle is that the time between overhaul is so small that the seals will be changed before wearing.

I run on 98 since more than one year in my 18T. But this is my own reponsability.

Best regards

Didier
2011/6/1 hammerhead <henrik.andoff(at)had.se (henrik.andoff(at)had.se)>
Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "hammerhead" <henrik.andoff(at)had.se (henrik.andoff(at)had.se)>

Hey guys

100LL vs 98UL + lead additive. There are so many views on this. What is your knowledge?

Engines requiring leaded gasoline usually take damage to the valve seats if they are run on unleaded fuel. When it comes to mogas the issue of ethanol being added to mogas often arises as it can cause vapor lock on altitude.

According to the gasoline company I have spoken to they do not add any ethanol at all to their 98 octane mogas. It is, however, unleaded. Well, lead additive can be purchased and added. So running an M14P on 98UL + lead additive should not be a problem, right?

Regards, Henrik

===========
rget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
Didier BLOUZARD
didier.blouzard(at)gmail.com (didier.blouzard(at)gmail.com)

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

_________________
Didier Tiger YAK18T
Member of Commemorative Air Force
French Wing
jan.mevis(at)informavia.b
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

Indeed that IS the problem and by consequence, some nice oldtimer planes
won't fly anymore.

Our authorities decided that AVGAS 100LL will be ruled out (in Europe by
2017). It's not certain yet how they'll do it in practice. Probably by
starting taxation to "virtually unpayable".

Then there's not enough demand anymore, so the few remaining oil refineries
that still produce AVGAS 100LL will switch their production lines to other
fuels. And the only factory in the world that still produces TEL, will also
start making something else.

Also: most military and commercial planes do not need avgas, so what is the
consumption of AVGAS 100LL? Less than 2 % and declining every year. I am
afraid that there 'll be not enough "economical momentum" to continue
producing avgas 100LL.

Jan

[quote] --

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
ssssskippy

Joined: 02 May 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

The good news is that a new General aviation fuel Will be dispatch on the GA field in the two or free next years.

It's right that avgas is a low needed fuel but a great value for the petroleum firmes!!!!

The bad news is that this fuel will stay very expensive:-(

If you are using mogas98 without alcohol.... You have to enjoy for the last moments because this mogas will disapear In the five next years too....

Olivier
Le 2 juin 2011 Ă  09:36, "Jan Mevis" <jan.mevis(at)informavia.be> a Ă©crit :

[quote]

Indeed that IS the problem and by consequence, some nice oldtimer planes
won't fly anymore.

Our authorities decided that AVGAS 100LL will be ruled out (in Europe by
2017). It's not certain yet how they'll do it in practice. Probably by
starting taxation to "virtually unpayable".

Then there's not enough demand anymore, so the few remaining oil refineries
that still produce AVGAS 100LL will switch their production lines to other
fuels. And the only factory in the world that still produces TEL, will also
start making something else.

Also: most military and commercial planes do not need avgas, so what is the
consumption of AVGAS 100LL? Less than 2 % and declining every year. I am
afraid that there 'll be not enough "economical momentum" to continue
producing avgas 100LL.

Jan

> --

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
jcolquit(at)law.ua.edu
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

Depending on system components, aren’t there other issues?

I once swapped to auto fuel in my RV-3A experimental. The engine ran fine and I was saving cash until I started getting leaks. My metal tanks had been sloshed to prevent leaks; hoses, o-rings and seals were fabricated out of materials not so impervious to additives in the auto fuel. I resealed the tanks and replaced some other components, swapped back to avgas, and had no further problems.

Perhaps YAK and CJ systems are impervious to auto fuel additives -- I haven’t looked or asked -- but if one has added after-market items such as bladder tanks, float valves, hoses, o-rings, and seals, it would pay to be sure they are impervious auto fuel use.

At least, I know I’ll think of more than just engine performance and costs. Avgas might prove cheaper, at least for as long as it’s available.

FWIW

Joe

CJ6-A N420RB / GlaStar
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
jan.mevis(at)informavia.b
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

That is absolutely correct.

Jan

[...]

0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
Quote:
9

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
bwade154(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

There was an old mechanic at the airport that shared with me a little experiment with two styrofoam cup's he put 100LL in one and car gas in the other, the car gas ate through that cup in less than a minute 100LL will stay there till it evaporates. Try it there is a difference it is an eye opener
Bill Wade

[...]

cjpilot710(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

Lets face it, the EPA and their elk (tree huggers, etc) will continue to put humanity at peril.
Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

In a message dated 6/3/2011 8:42:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bwade154(at)yahoo.com writes:
[...]

====================================
="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
====================================
ms.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
====================================
tp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
====================================

[/b]

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
radiopicture

Joined: 23 Jun 2008

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: M14P and Avgas 100LL vs Mogas 98UL + lead Reply with quote

That does it! I'm removing all of the styrofoam components from my plane!

J/K Bill.

On Jun 3, 2011, at 8:37 AM, bill wade wrote:
[...]

style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://forums.matronics.com
style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours