Oil filter removal 914

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
Fergus Kyle

Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Location: Burlington ON Canada

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Oil filter removal 914 Reply with quote

OK, I’m slow – but what did you use to remove the installed oil filter on your 914? It’s ti-ight.
It’s been on for some time and I had a proper strap wrench but cannot find it – and, apparently nobody makes cloth strap wrenches in my part of spaceship Earth* any more. They’re all made of rubber bands which snap at first try......
Your creative solutions most humbly accepted.
Ferg
*Burlington ON Canada [quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Ivor Phillips

Location: London UK

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Oil filter removal 914 Reply with quote

I use a large adjustable Pipe wrench placed just were the filter meets the block, with the lower cowling removed,
A old but messy solution assuming you don't want to check the filter element for metal particles is to drive
a long screwdriver through the filter and use the extra leverage it gives you, Keep a lid of a biscuit tin
under the filter to catch the old oil,
regards
ivor
G-IVER
On 21 May 2011 15:51, Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO(at)rac.ca (VE3LVO(at)rac.ca)> wrote:
[quote]
        OK, I’m slow – but what did you use to remove the installed oil filter on your 914? It’s ti-ight.
        It’s been on for some time and I had a proper strap wrench but cannot find it – and, apparently nobody makes cloth strap wrenches in my part of spaceship Earth* any more. They’re all made of rubber bands which snap at first try......
        Your creative solutions most humbly accepted.
Ferg
*Burlington ON Canada
Quote:

ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
williamtsullivan(at)att.n
Guest

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Oil filter removal 914 Reply with quote

If you can get your hand on it, but can't grip tightly enough to keep from slipping, try wrapping it with sandpaper- grit side in. It often works.

      Bill Sullivan

ist" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
=nofollow>http://forums.matronics.com
blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Back to top
Fergus Kyle

Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Location: Burlington ON Canada

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Oil filter removal 914 Reply with quote

William and Ivor,
Thank you both for rapid weekend replies....
Fact is, after a week of searching the hawkers, I tripped over my afore-mentioned cloth strap wrench, applied same and after some invective managed a grudging move – so I’m OK Jack. But it was not without some wrangling and am thankful for your solutions. These may come in handy later.
The thing is – I have not replenished the oil for a couplke of years – it has been in the spare bedroom and dry – and I want to remove the filter only to replenish the unused oil, so filter destruction not wanted.
I now turn my attention to filling the oil according to the Rotax persuasion and discover I have badly sited various components unknowingly frustrating the ucoupling of hoses in the 914’s dark interior spaces. Nothing seems easy.
Cheers, and I owe you
Ferg
PS: It appears I owe so many of the hops variety I’ll have to come over for the Christmas dinner to comply with glib promises. [quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Oil filter removal 914 Reply with quote

Ferg
you should come to the Christmas Dinner, good place to see all your old frineds!
Graham

lank" href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List">http://t; http://www.matronics.com/contrib===============

[b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Back to top
pchristensen10(at)austin.
Guest

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Oil filter removal 914 Reply with quote

On my Kitfox I put a big hose clamp around the filter and use a long screw driver and a hammer to twist the filter off banging on the clamp screw mechanism.

Pete

On 5/21/2011 11:38 AM, william sullivan wrote: [quote]   If you can get your hand on it, but can't grip tightly enough to keep from slipping, try wrapping it with sandpaper- grit side in.  It often works.

                                            Bill Sullivan

[...]

rickofudall

Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Location: Udall, KS, USA

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Oil filter removal 914 Reply with quote

If you have the room between the #2 exhaust pipe and the filter you might give these a try.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/engine/4-piece-end-cap-oil-filter-wrenches-94096.html

[/url]I haven't used them on a 914, but I haven't found a car filter yet that can't be removed with one of the four.
For what it's worth
Rick Girard

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

_________________
The smallest miracle right in front of you is enough to make you happy....
Fergus Kyle

Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Location: Burlington ON Canada

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Oil filter removal 914 Reply with quote

Richard Girard and Pete Christensen,
Thank you both for replying. I had given up on the commercial strap wrenches offered locally and panicked. Fortunately I stumbled across my original wrench (when I stopped searching) and went for something else. It is a proper cloth strap job and it dented the skin of the filter but it lifted it.
I’ll keep your suggestions for future use, and thanks again.
Ferg
oil all over the place [quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours