ray allen potentiometer flap indicator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
pilotdds(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: ray allen potentiometer flap indicator Reply with quote

I am having trouble figuring out where and how to mount the ray allen potentiometer flap indicator. Does anybody in the system have a picture or suggestion as to where and how to mount this?
Thank you for your help,
pilotdds
Trying not to butcher Stein's work

Quote:

get=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
p://forums.matronics.com
blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
n223rv(at)wolflakeairport
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: ray allen potentiometer flap indicator Reply with quote

If you search the archives for my name/email and/or flap stuff, you should find the info for an easy installation. Let me know if you can't find it and I will resend when I am at home.
-Mike Kraus

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 3, 2011, at 11:27 AM, pilotdds <pilotdds(at)aol.com (pilotdds(at)aol.com)> wrote:

[quote] I am having trouble figuring out where and how to mount the ray allen potentiometer flap indicator. Does anybody in the system have a picture or suggestion as to where and how to mount this?
Thank you for your help,
pilotdds
Trying not to butcher Stein's work

Quote:

get=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
p://forums.matronics.com
blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Quote:

[b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Jim Berry

Location: Denver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ray allen potentiometer flap indicator Reply with quote

Can't remember who I borrowed this from, but this is the way I did it.

Jim Berry
RV-10

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

flap & AOA switch.jpg
 Filesize:  1.13 MB
 Viewed:  8661 Time(s)

flap & AOA switch.jpg

amekler

Joined: 07 Oct 2010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: ray allen potentiometer flap indicator Reply with quote

2 points. The movement is non linear because of the hinge. It is great for
indicating flaps up or down but not partial flaps. Also if the POS
overextends it breaks and you will get no reading so be careful how far you
let it extend.
Alan

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
n223rv(at)wolflakeairport
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: ray allen potentiometer flap indicator Reply with quote

Yep, that's mine. Thanks for reposting it... I didn't have the picture handy
-Mike Kraus

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 3, 2011, at 5:30 PM, "Jim Berry" <jimberry(at)qwest.net> wrote:

Quote:

Can't remember who I borrowed this from, but this is the way I did it.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/flap_and_aoa_switch_151.jpg

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
AirMike

Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Location: Nevada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Ray Allen potentiometer flap indicator Reply with quote

I mount mine in the tunnel with a small "L" iron that I epoxied to the flap actuating tube. Seems to work well there away from moisture. I get almost no reading on the first 3 degrees of flaps, but works well after that with the flap positioning system. I would add caution as was mentioned before - DO NOT LET THE SHAFT HYPER-EXTEND. I did and the replacement is $40.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
See you OSH '18
Q/B - sold.
pilotdds(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: ray allen potentiometer flap indicator Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help-the ingenuity of this group never ceases to amaze me Jim

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
scottmschmidt(at)yahoo.co
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: ray allen potentiometer flap indicator Reply with quote

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
scottmschmidt(at)yahoo.co
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: ray allen potentiometer flap indicator Reply with quote

I like Mike's better.
-Scott

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 3, 2011, at 4:24 PM, Michael Kraus <n223rv(at)wolflakeairport.net> wrote:

Quote:

Yep, that's mine. Thanks for reposting it... I didn't have the picture handy
-Mike Kraus

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 3, 2011, at 5:30 PM, "Jim Berry" <jimberry(at)qwest.net> wrote:

> Can't remember who I borrowed this from, but this is the way I did it.
>
> Jim Berry
> RV-10
>

> Read this topic online here:

> Attachments:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com//files/flap_and_aoa_switch_151.jpg

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
billz

Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Location: Clinton, New York

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: ray allen potentiometer flap indicator Reply with quote

I like this simple solution to mounting the POS-12. It is inside the airplane (keeping it out of the weather) and easily accessible for maintenance. This is my implementation(see attached picture). To get the 1 inch travel, I found that having the arm attached close to the outside of the flap tube worked well. I just bent a piece of scrap aluminum, drilling a hole close to the flap tube. I used a 4-40 bolt (with loctite on the nuts) and a short piece of plastic spacer material (from Lowes). This eliminated possible interference between the POS-12 arm and the metal tab. To keep it even simpler, I just placed the angle bracket under the cushion clamp and it seems to work fine. (No drilling in the flap tube.) The total travel of the POS-12 is just about 1 inch of the total 1.2 in available. The comment was made that this provided a non-linear representation of the actual flap extension. This is true, but I'll be calibrating it for the VP-X display with actual flap position measurements that should be close enough. Remember, many folks don't even bother with flap position information, relying on their eyeball measurement by looking out the window.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

IMG_1417.JPG
 Filesize:  574.35 KB
 Viewed:  8155 Time(s)

IMG_1417.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours