Elevator Cables Again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
agibeaut

Joined: 21 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

I'm stumped. When I tried to tighten my elevator cables for the first time, the stick started to bind when I moved it to the right. I could not find where it was binding for the life of me. Then, I discovered that the cables actually tighten up as the stick is moved right thus creating what felt like binding. The elevator up and down motion is fine. To the stops in both directions.

So to further explain; If I move the stick to the left, both cables become loose, when I move it to the right, both tighten. Makes no difference where the stick is in the up/down motion, the result is the same.

I got Caleb on the phone and he gave me the cable tension; 20# + or- 5# but I can't get close to 20# without the cables tightening and limiting movement to the right. Hope I explained this OK, and really hope one of you guys has a helpful hint. One of those days for sure!

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
ch701builder(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

Art,
This topic has been brought up before, (at least on the Yahoo group).

The reason is the elevator control is offset to the right side of the plane. Then as you rotate the control to the right, the distance between the control and the elevator horns becomes shorter, hence, it gets tighter. Then the opposite for moving the control to the left.

I am trying to find a photo that I found what somebody did, was to add an offset to the lower part of the bellcrank 7C1-1 (I think)

I will post when I find it.

Keith

--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: Art Gibeaut <aagibeaut(at)yahoo.com (aagibeaut(at)yahoo.com)>

I'm stumped. When I tried to tighten my elevator cables for the first time, the stick started to bind when I moved it to the right. I could not find where it was binding for the life of me. Then, I discovered that the cables actually tighten up as the stick is moved right thus creating what felt like binding. The elevator up and down motion is fine. To the stops in both directions.

So to further explain; If I move the stick to the left, both cables become loose, when I move it to the right, both tighten. Makes no difference where the stick is in the up/down motion, the result is the same.

I got Caleb on the phone and he gave me the cable tension; 20# + or- 5# but I can't get close to 20# without the cables tightening and limiting movement to the right. Hope I explained this

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
Tommy Walker

Location: Anniston, AL 36207

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

That is an anomaly of the 701. Like Keith said, because of the offset you will have that tension when the stick is moved to the right. A couple of guys came up with a solution they said works. I have a picture of it, but haven't tried it. You basically have to remake the control arm.
I guess the trick is to get the cable tight enough when the stick is to the left that it doesn't flop and not bind too much when the stick it to the right. Just keep experimenting.

Tommy Walker in Alabama
Do Not Archive [quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
Tommy Walker
N25A - Anniston, AL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
jpspencer(at)cableone.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Elevator cables again Reply with quote

>I got Caleb on the phone and he gave me the cable tension; 20# + or- 5# but I can't
get close to 20# without the cables tightening and limiting movement to the
right.

No way I can run any tension on mine...the only way I could get full right aileron without binding is to run the elevator cables way slack. On mine, it gets worse with flaps out, maybe one of the reasons they took out the 2nd notch of flaps. I put the 2nd notch in mine and with a 100 horse 912 on a go around with both notches out there isn't enough aileron to keep it from rolling uncontrollably left. IMO the control system needs a redesign to symmetrical to eliminate the problem
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
dlorrzen701(at)earthlink.
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

Tommy, would you mind posting a picture of the modified control arm.
Thanks
David L.Orr
EAA430

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
Geoff Heap

Location: Lindenwold, New Jersey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

I don't think Zenith is coming clean with you. They know perfectly well that this is a (small) bona fide design flaw. At one time they would suggest a bungee cord hooked onto the loose cable inside the rear fuselage to keep the tension on it. I tried this and it's half assed. I gave up on these halfway solutions until I came across a post of a fix that made perfect sense. i looked at the two pictures and knew it was the right answer. I can post the pics tomorrow. I don't think it's the same one that Tommy means. Basically you split off the elevator bell crank away from the Torque tube and mount it separately. Its not a quick fix but in my opinion its the right way to do it. I'm not flying yet but i have the modifications done and now each control works fine with no interference from the other.......Geoff

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
cscsail(at)gmavt.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

I agree -- it is a bad design. I have to keep the cables almost slack when
the stick is pulled right, so that it won't bind-up when moved left. I do
use the bungee cord system and it seems to work ok, but the stick always has
a pull to the right when flying and when the flaperons are deployed the
whole system tightens up and it is difficult to move the stick full left. At
over a 100 hrs I've gotten used to it, but if there is a better design, I'd
like to see it.
Gordon
---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
stepinwolf

Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

Geoff

Here are a few pics of the mod, that makes everything work properly. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos.

Robert
the 701 & 750 scratch

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

rod1.jpg
 Filesize:  118.83 KB
 Viewed:  21116 Time(s)

rod1.jpg

rod2.jpg
 Filesize:  118.86 KB
 Viewed:  21116 Time(s)

rod2.jpg

_________________
Long wing + vga's, = lo & slo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dlorrzen701(at)earthlink.
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures Robert. Did you have to modify both ends of the Pitch Rod with CW rod ends or just the end in the picture?
Thanks
David L. Orr
EAA430

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
stepinwolf

Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

David

I didn't do the actual modification. It was done by a friend of mine who Winters in Arizona, so I don't know if he did not. However, knowing him, I would expect that both ends were done in this fashion.

Fly safe
Robert
EAA851832

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
Long wing + vga's, = lo & slo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tommy Walker

Location: Anniston, AL 36207

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

David,
The pictures Robert posted are the ones I have.
Thanks,
Tommy Walker in Alabama
Do NOt Archive

dlorrzen701(at)earthlink. wrote:
Tommy, would you mind posting a picture of the modified control arm.
Thanks
David L.Orr
EAA430

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
Tommy Walker
N25A - Anniston, AL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Geoff Heap

Location: Lindenwold, New Jersey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't get back until now. I see all questions answered. Roberts pictures are the ones I was trying unsuccessfully to find. Attached is a pic of my aileron bell crank removed from the torque tube and re mounted on a base ready to re assemble.....Geoff

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

aileron mod2.jpg
 Filesize:  563.91 KB
 Viewed:  20973 Time(s)

aileron mod2.jpg

dlorrzen701(at)earthlink.
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

Geoff do you plan to use CW Rod ends on both ends of the control rod 7C1-3?
Thanks
David L. Orr
EAA430

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
agibeaut

Joined: 21 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

Thanks to all that came to my rescue. Excellent ideas guys, thanks again.

posted by: "Geoff Heap" <stol10(at)comcast.net>

Sorry I couldn't get back until now. I see all questions
answered. Roberts pictures are the ones I was trying
unsuccessfully to find. Attached is a pic of my aileron bell
crank removed from the torque tube and re mounted on a base
ready to re assemble.....Geoff

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 73324#273324

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/aileron_mod2_135.jpg

Lists This Month --
Some AWESOME FREE Gifts!)
Raiser.  Click on
out more about
Gifts provided
www.aeroelectric.com
www.buildersbooks.com
www.homebuilthelp.com
              -Matt
Dralle, List Admin.
Zenith701801-List Email Forum -
FAQ,
   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
craig(at)craigandjean.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

Anyone know if the design changed in the 750?

-- Craig

--

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
Geoff Heap

Location: Lindenwold, New Jersey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

David. If by CW you mean those universal swiveling ball ends then the answer is yes. I don't think they are necessary with this Mod but the action will be smoother than making connections with bolt, castle nut and
cotter pin....Geoff

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
pbuttles(at)charter.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

has anyone seen how savannh does it?
the offset the control tourqe tube by cutting it and welding it on an offset to place the cables right down the center of the tube .
sorry dont have a pic and hadr to find a pic online . a friend is building one and i wil have to see about getting pics.
i would have to say that the sanvannh kit is impressive with all the CNC work on all the parts !

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
n3721c

Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Location: montana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

Hi I'm new to the discussion and I'm working on a 701 that was built and certified but was not built to very good standards so I am working with my a&i to do some mods on the elevator cable situation and when I am done with it I will post some pics of it.What i have done is to install the mixer assy. from a skyraider exp. aircraft one on each side for dual controls and also like the pics on this site of the elevator belcrank I have made it separate from the aileron control.It takes a little more time to install, then the mixer set up's I have seen using the existing center controls but i started it before I knew of any other control setups out there for this aircraft.So hopefully it will work and my mechanic gives it his approval.Thanks Wayne

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
d.shrader

Joined: 21 Nov 2008

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

My version of the divorced elevator bell-crank mount

dave

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

DSC_3662.JPG
 Filesize:  121.45 KB
 Viewed:  18698 Time(s)

DSC_3662.JPG

rockiedog2

Joined: 03 Mar 2010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Elevator Cables Again Reply with quote

Well that sure oughta hold up.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next