Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim
Goto page Previous  1, 2

jimpuglise(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

As I remember my aerodynamics, the center of lift is always slightly aft of the center of gravity, causing a tendency for the aircraft to pitch down if the elevator is discounted. The elevator therefor exerts a small downward force on tail of the aircraft. This situation is reversed in a cannard, which is why they are a little more efficient. Neither of these relates in any way to the positon of the trim tab on the elevator. I'd probably agree that the tab would cause less drag if it were in line with the rest of the elevator when at cruise speed. (I think this is the same thing Peter is saying.)

Jim Puglise A-283

mikenjulie.parkin(at)btin
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

I suppose where the confusion comes here is the fact that there are 2 things
going on here..... a trim system overlaying an anti-servo system. In a
conventional trim system the trim tab will retain its offset position if
that is where you leave it. Not so with an all flying tail where the neutral
is effectively changed - with the trim system in the europa. In a powered
all flying tail, the feel system is often used to move the effective
neutral.

Regards,

MP

Do not archive.

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

Hi Glenn,

that was my understanding as well - but when trimmed for cruise, wouldn't the anti-servo/trim-tab be required to portrude *downwards* to drive the trailing edge of the tailplane *up* to result in the equivalent of pulling back on the stick,  to have the tailplane produce the required downward force on the tail?

All the pics I've seen show the trimtab portruding *up*, ie, trim  = foward stick..... no?
Still confused,
Pete
A239

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Glenn Crowder <gcrowder2(at)hotmail.com (gcrowder2(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Glenn Crowder <gcrowder2(at)hotmail.com (gcrowder2(at)hotmail.com)>

The airfoil of the wing of any aircraft with a non symmetrical section will produce a negative pitching moment (-cm) around the aerodynamic center of the wing.   This means that without the tailplane producing an equal but opposite moment the acft will pitch over into a vertical dive.  The all flying tailplane on the Europa has no fixed angle of incidence so to produce an opposing positive torque moment to the wings negative one the trim tab must be held out of plane.  At higher speeds then the tailplane must provide greater downforce then requiring even more trim tab offset.  We have to pay a small drag penalty to achieve a level trim condition in cruise flight.   This penalty can be reduced somewhat by loading the acft towards the aft cg limits requiring less trim tab offset reducing the downforce the tailplane must produce to maintain level flight.

 The tailless flying wing derives it's pitch stability due to the outer portions of the wing being reflexed up to produce that necessary positive pitching moment but also introduces that small drag penalty again.  There is no free lunch in aerodynamics!  Every desireable aerodynamic quality (like pitch stability) has a price that must be paid.

                                  Glenn

Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)> wrote:

>On Apr 12, 2010, at 6:24 AM, david miller wrote:
>
>> I think that for most efficient flight the incidence of the wing and
>> tail should be such that at cruise there is no up or down trim on
>> the elevator or all flying tail.
>
>Fascinating discussion...as a non-aerodynamicist, I can't resist the
>temptation to add a comment...
>
>I've always understood that the elevator or an all-flying tail
>(horizontal tail plane) has a "job"...namely, to exert a force, either
>up or down, in order to balance the lift of the wing and stabilize the
>flight path of a normally configured aircraft (i.e., not a canard
>type). To do this "job" requires "work"; the tail plane is never
>neutral.  And w/ our Europae...with it's trim tabs acting in
>opposition to the all-flying tail plane thru a direct mechanical
>connection...whenever the tail plane is doing its job (at whatever
>angle of incidence), the trim tabs will be doing their job as well
>(that of counterbalancing forces on the tailplane), and will
>necessarily be raised or lowered w/ reference to the tailplane.
>
>Of course if this explanation is correct, one might ponder the
>aerodynamics of my tail-less biplane...pix below.
>
>Fred

========================
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
"A man is not old until his regrets take the place of his dreams. "

frans(at)privatepilots.nl
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

On 04/13/2010 01:19 AM, Peter Zutrauen wrote:

Quote:
that was my understanding as well - but when trimmed for cruise,
wouldn't the anti-servo/trim-tab be required to portrude *downwards* to
drive the trailing edge of the tailplane *up*

Read again what you just said. If the trailing edge of the tailplane
moves up, the trim tab moves up even more. It *always* goes back to the
same stabile position, regardless of trim setting. The only difference
is that this stabile position is achieven by a different tailplane
incidence. This is how it works: you trim it down, it drives the
tailplane up, this will take the trim tab up even more, counteracting
what you just did... and the nett effect is that the tailplane's
trailing edge has moved up. This is how a anti-servo tab works.

Quote:
to result in the
equivalent of pulling back on the stick,

Pulling back on the stick is not the equivalent. If you pull on the
stick, the trim tab won't revert to its stabile aerodynamic position...
and that is why you need to keep pulling on the stick, to counteract the
forces on the trim tab.

Quote:
to have the tailplane produce
the required downward force on the tail?

Actually, it is not a trim tab, but an anti-servo trim tab. It works
differently.

Quote:
All the pics I've seen show the trimtab portruding *up*, ie, trim =
foward stick..... no?

The *only* conclusion you can draw from the trimtab protruding up, is
that its stabile position is upwards relative to the tailplane. This
will remain the same for all trim settings. If you change the trim, the
only nett effect is that the tailplane will move to a different
incidence... but the trim tab will remain at the same position. Play
with it on the ground, until you see what's happening.

Frans

fklein(at)orcasonline.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Help me wipe the egg off my face...delete my last post...w/ our
Europas, we're talkin anti-servo tabs, not trim tabs...my apologies
for riffing on trim tabs before engaging my brain...

Fred

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

--
"A man is not old until his regrets take the place of his dreams. "

dustinclowser_1014(at)YAH
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

304.904.3850

--
"A man is not old until his regrets take the place of his dreamsp; --> -Matt Drall============

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

OK Pete - the tailplane is ALWAYS pushing down at all airspeeds but at higher airspeeds the wing is at a very low angle of attack. As the airspeed goes up, the

aerodynamic forces on all control surfaces (ailerons, rudder, tailplane) go up by the

SQUARE of airspeed. This is why you cannot give full control deflection at VNE, the

control surfaces will depart the aircraft. So when the wing goes to a very low angle

of attack, the tail must also. The tail is still flying at a negative angle of attack but

it is very small. However this small negative angle of attack is generating a lot of

positive CM because of the high airspeed. To get this slightly negative angle of attack

at a high airspeed requires a lot of force and this is generated by the UP position of

the trimtab forcing the trailing edge of the tailplane DOWN. The trim tab controls the

angle of attack of the tail (always negative but less negative at high speed), the

anti servo system keeps the tail at the set angle of attack. Other factors come into

play here such as the angle of relative airflow from the wing downwash. The tail

may look as though it has a positive angle of attack but because of the wing downwash, the relative airflow is actually hitting it from above. This angle becomes less at high speeds but the forces go up with the square of airspeed.

at high speeds

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:19:06 -0400
Subject: Re: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim
From: peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com

> [...]

neutral. And w/ our Europae...with it's trim tabs acting in
opposition to the all-flying tail plane thru a direct mechanical
connection...whenever the tail plane is doing its job (at whatever
angle of incidence), the trim tabs will be doing their job as well
(that of counterbalancing forces on the tailplane), and will
necessarily be raised or lowered w/ reference to the tailplane.

Of course if this explanation is correct, one might ponder the
aerodynamics of my tail-less biplane...pix below.

Fred

========================
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
http://forums.matronics.com
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
--
"A man is not old until his regrets take the place of his dreams. "

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

Hi Frans etal,

OK, ok,  I believe I have figured out what's going on with the upward trim tab in cruise.

The when the anti-servo trim tab is *trimmed* out of the neutral position, then the 'zero stick force'  angle of incidence of the tailplane wrt to the airflow is changed. When the trim tab is protruding *up* (thus driving the trailing edge downward),  I had thought this configuration was providing *lift* to the tail.  It was this simplistic interpretation which was confusing me. My bad. Razz

So, how does the following sound to all the aerodynamicists out there?  When one considers the tailplane&trim tab combination as a "symmetrical airfoil wing with flap", then moving  the trimtab off-center is effectively adding camber to the tailplane 'wing' and making the airfoil no longer symmetrical. In fact, moving the trimtab *up* results in an inverted camber (traditional wing upside down), thus generating a downward lift vector - and the stars are again all in proper alignment.

The faster one cruises, then the more camber is required to provide more downforce to counter-act the main-wing lift pitch, thus more trim tab.

I was/am not speaking of the anti-servo function of the tab, which I agree fully is driven in the same direction as the stick to augment/provide the (otherwise negligible flying-tail) stick forces to give proper speed-related feedback and make the tailplane less prone to flutter - that function is easy to visualize.

Cheers,
A happy that things now make sense again,
Pete
A239

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Frans Veldman <frans(at)privatepilots.nl (frans(at)privatepilots.nl)> wrote:
[quote]--> Europa-List message posted by: Frans Veldman <frans(at)privatepilots.nl (frans(at)privatepilots.nl)>

On 04/13/2010 01:19 AM, Peter Zutrauen wrote:

> that was my understanding as well - but when trimmed for cruise,
> wouldn't the anti-servo/trim-tab be required to portrude *downwards* to
> drive the trailing edge of the tailplane *up*

Read again what you just said. If the trailing edge of the tailplane
moves up, the trim tab moves up even more. It *always* goes back to the
same stabile position, regardless of trim setting. The only difference
is that this stabile position is achieven by a different tailplane
incidence. This is how it works: you trim it down, it drives the
tailplane up, this will take the trim tab up even more, counteracting
what you just did... and the nett effect is that the tailplane's
trailing edge has moved up. This is how a anti-servo tab works.

> to result in the
> equivalent of pulling back on the stick,

Pulling back on the stick is not the equivalent. If you pull on the
stick, the trim tab won't revert to its stabile aerodynamic position...
and that is why you need to keep pulling on the stick, to counteract the
forces on the trim tab.

> to have the tailplane produce
> the required downward force on the tail?

Actually, it is not a trim tab, but an anti-servo trim tab. It works
differently.

> All the pics I've seen show the trimtab portruding *up*, ie, trim  =
> foward stick..... no?

The *only* conclusion you can draw from the trimtab protruding up, is
that its stabile position is upwards relative to the tailplane. This
will remain the same for all trim settings. If you change the trim, the
only nett effect is that the tailplane will move to a different
incidence... but the trim tab will remain at the same position. Play
with it on the ground, until you see what's happening.

Frans

[b]

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

Further to my previous post, if one were to optimize the airfoil of the flying tail to minimize drag (which I had incorrectly presumed Don D had done), then the tailplane would have had a very slight inverted camber, calculated such that no trim-tab offset would have been required at the "target" cruise speed.

Cheers,
Pete

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Peter Zutrauen <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com (peterz(at)zutrasoft.com)> wrote:
> [...]

forces on the trim tab.

> to have the tailplane produce
> the required downward force on the tail?

Actually, it is not a trim tab, but an anti-servo trim tab. It works
differently.

> All the pics I've seen show the trimtab portruding *up*, ie, trim  =
> foward stick..... no?

The *only* conclusion you can draw from the trimtab protruding up, is
that its stabile position is upwards relative to the tailplane. This
will remain the same for all trim settings. If you change the trim, the
only nett effect is that the tailplane will move to a different
incidence... but the trim tab will remain at the same position. Play
with it on the ground, until you see what's happening.

Frans

--
"A man is not old until his regrets take the place of his dreams. "

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

Glenn,

that makes sense.

That is why when flying faster pilot have to push stick forward to keep altude.
Tailplane´s trailing edge is moving then down and tailplane´s negative AoA goes slightly smaller.
Tab´s anti-servo function moves tabs even more down to generate (more) force to the pilot´s hand. To eliminate that force pilot trims "nose down" = trim tabs move a little upp to keep tailplane´s trailing edges down = where they should be to keep to maintain level flight.

Without anti-servo function I assume there would be still pitch forces but only about 1/3-1/2 (look at the torque tube position in relation with tailplanes)?

When cruisíng levelled and with power lever in it´s fore position, XRT needs almost full nose down trimming.

Raimo OH-XRT
[quote] ---

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

  Hi Pete - yes, it is totally valid to think of it that way.   With the trim tab set to neutral, the tailplane is designed to maintain a negative angle of attack sufficient to balance the negative pitching moment of the wing at typical "in the pattern speeds".  This angle corresponds to the matching fillets molded into the fuselage sides at the tail.

  At low to moderate airspeeds, the tailplane needs a sizeable negative angle of attack to create enough downforce at the tail to force the leading edge of the wing up to it's required angle of attack.  Without the tail pushing down thus raising the wing leading edge up, the wing becomes lazy and does'nt want to fly, trying to reduce the angle of attack.  This is that negative pitching moment that all non symmetrical airfoils have. This is easily noticed in a stall situation, with nearly all the UP elevator being required to hold the high angle of attack.

  Now when we want to go fast, requirements start to change.  We want the wing to assume a very low angle of attack because as the speeds go up, the lift
on the wing goes up by the SQUARE of airspeed.  Reducing the angle of attack
reduces the lift of the wing and also the induced drag.  But since we are going
much faster, the wing is creating the same amount of lift sufficient to maintain a
steady cruising altitude.  But at this higher airspeed the tailplane is still trying to maintain the high negative angle of attack it was designed to maintain at low to moderate airspeeds.  So now we have to do something to reduce the extremely high downforce the tail is trying to generate.  This is achieved by reducing the negative angle of attack of the tailplane.   We needed a large negative angle for takeoff and pattern work but now we need a much smaller negative angle.

  To reduce this negative angle of attack we then apply DOWN trim which raises the trimtab UP, which then forces the trailing edge of the tailplane DOWN, which then reduces the negative angle of attack to a much smaller value, reducing the downforce generated by the tailplane.  It is still producing a large amount of downforce though as the high airspeed is creating a lot of force with only a small negative angle of attack (the airspeed squared thing).

  The aircraft COULD have been designed to maintain this high speed slightly negative angle of attack with neutral trim tab to minimize drag.  However if this had been done the design would have required HUGE trimtabs trimmed DOWN at lower speeds to then force the trailing edge of the tailplane UP that would then create a large negative angle of attack on the tailplane required to balance the wing at lower airspeeds.

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:08:34 -0400
From: peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com

[...]

ronics.com

ww.matronics.com/contribution

The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy. [quote][b]

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Effects of Flaps and Ailerons on Pitch Trim Reply with quote

Maybe I can add a bit more confusion?
In fact the tail plane pivot is not at the neutral point, it's slightly forward I think (Mike?) You're right that the tab is anti balance.
With symmetrical sections aerodynamic centre doesn't move, that's why all flying tails are usually symmetrical. (afaik) Add the effect of the displaced tab and you have camber so the section will now provide lift at zero AoA. ie tailplane in trail?  This lift is just enough to balance the wing pitching moment. Increase speed and you get more lift so nose will pitch up. Speed reduces again etc.
Graham