Starting Problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
laflyins

Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Location: Gramercy, LA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

I was in our Lightning the other day and when I hit the starter switch I could hear the solenoid click in but the prop did not make any attempt to move. I had just come down from a flight. So we took the cowl off and during the process of taking voltage readings, etc. the prop did spin on one of the starting attempts... although a bit weakly. We had a recent occurrence where the plane was down a couple of months for some repairs and the battery went dead (Odyssey PC625) so we pulled the battery and took it down to get it checked. The battery vendor said it was good but weak and recommended a process to "desulfinate" and charge it which we did. Seemed to work fine. Put battery back and prop spun with authority.
Went back out the next day and pulled plane out to fly... same thing... prop would not budge but solenoid clicks in hard. Checked voltages and starter has full battery voltage (12.4 Volts) with starter switch engaged but nothing was happening. I pulled the starter and turned gear a bit to see if there might be a dead spot in the starter. Put it back in without the drive and the starter motor spun fine.... so I assume that it is a bad starter motor with some kind of intermittent fault.
Any other ideas? One thing I did find is that the previous owner had not done the Service Bulletin on connecting the ground cable directly to the starter. Could that be a factor? Seems like if it is a poor ground caused by where the ground cable is connected or a weak battery then it might spin slow or at least make the prop jerk but when this anomaly happens it doesn't try to spin at all - the prop just does not make any attempt to move.
If it really is a bad starter motor, does anyone have a cross reference part number for it?

Regards,

Jim
(The engine is a Jabiru 3300 with hydraulic lifters bought in roughly 2006 but I don't have the serial number available right here. The starter motor is silver and not the black one with gold ends like I read in some of the posts.)

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
rickofudall

Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Location: Udall, KS, USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

Forgive me for being blunt, but you've been told the battery is weak, and there's a service bulletin to correct a ground path problem for the starter. What do you need, a flag waved in front of you? Do the cheapest thing first and comply with the SB. That'll cost less than $10. A new battery costs less than $40 (I paid $38 for a Chicom 20 amp hour with the same form factor as the PC625 for my trike). If you keep screwing around you'll most likely damage the starter and then you will have to replace it.
Obviously, I need more coffee.
Rick Girard

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 5:47 AM, laflyins <rivierja(at)cox.net (rivierja(at)cox.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> JabiruEngine-List message posted by: "laflyins" <rivierja(at)cox.net (rivierja(at)cox.net)>

[...]
Any other ideas?  One thing I did find is that the previous owner had not done the Service Bulletin on connecting the ground cable directly to the starter.  Could that be a factor?  Seems like if it is a poor ground caused by where the ground cable is connected or a weak battery then it might spin slow or at least make the prop jerk but this anomaly happens it doesn't try to spin at all - the prop just does not make any attempt to move.
If it really is a bad starter motor, does anyone have a cross reference part number for it?

Regards,

Jim
(The engine is a Jabiru 3300 with hydraulic lifters bought in roughly 2006 but I don't have the serial number available right here.  The starter motor is silver and not the black one with gold ends like I read in some of the posts.)

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
The smallest miracle right in front of you is enough to make you happy....
dave.go

Joined: 20 Jul 2009

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

I would certainly replace a weak battery and add the required ground, but
you may be right in that the prop should at least attempt to turn. You can
try measuring the voltages. Put a voltmeter on from the positive of the
battery to the negative and see what drop you get when you attempt to start.
Look for voltage drops along the starting circuit all the way along solenoid
in, out, starter pos, starter case, to the engine case and then the frame
ground itself. the problem should become evident.

---

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
laflyins

Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Location: Gramercy, LA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Problem Reply with quote

I will definitely move the ground to the starter. Makes a lot of sense and was planning to do that as soon as I saw the SB.

I had checked some voltages and there was no significant drop anywhere through the system... there was 0 drop across the solenoid when it was engaged and there was 12.4 volts between the positive wire at the starter and the starter housing.... which was essentially the same as the battery voltage.

As for the weak battery, what I neglected to say in the first message was that when the battery vendor tested it he said it was weak but had significant life left in it and it should charge up just fine... which we think it did from what we saw when charging it. We gave his opinion some credibility because when the guy whose job it is to sell you a new battery tells you that you don't need one then I guess we tended to believe him. Maybe he is wrong. We'll see.

Jim

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
dave.go

Joined: 20 Jul 2009

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

Hi, if you are measuring 12.4 across the starter and there's no action, it
looks like you may have had the right idea in the first place and there may
be an issue with the starter itself. Starters are pretty generic things and
your local starter shop may be able to help if that's what it turns out to
be. Try the extra ground first though, you'll have to buy that anyway.

---

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Peter H

Joined: 20 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

Jim,
I introduced the idea of a starter earth strap 3 years ago when I found that
the two long clamping bolts for the starter casing were getting very hot.
Earth must carry full starting current and should be best low resistance. As
supplied earth was by means only of the two clamping bolts which were set in
Loctite, a poor conductor. There was no current path through the casing
because the sections are insulated with rubber seals.
I think you may find that is the cause of your intermittent problem.
Peter

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
naftalih(at)hotmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

There must be a significant voltage drop when engaging the starter C since it draws appr. 200 amps. If no drop at all C then the starter brushes are not conducting at all C or nothing is connected to the starter.
Naftali.

Quote:
Subject: Re: Starting Problem
From: rivierja(at)cox.net
Date: Sun C 3 Jan 2010 12:03:46 -0800
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

--> JabiruEngine-List message posted by: "laflyins" <rivierja(at)cox.net>

I will definitely move the ground to the starter. Makes a lot of sense and was planning to do that as soon as I saw the SB.

I had checked some voltages and there was no significant drop anywhere through the system... there was 0 drop across the solenoid when it was engaged and there was 12.4 volts between the positive wire at the starter and the starter housing.... which was essentially the same as the battery voltage.

As for the weak battery C what I neglected to say in the first message was that when the battery vendor tested it he said it was weak but had significant life left in it and it should charge up just fine... which we think it did from what we saw when charging it. We gave his opinion some credibility because when the guy whose job it is to sell you a new battery tells you that you don't need one then I guess we tended to believe him. Maybe he is wrong. We'll see.

Jim

&gt==

[quote]

[b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

When I first read your post, I was thinking that at 12.4, that was
NOT a fully charged battery...12.7 is, from what I've read. I used to
think 12 volts was 12 volts...now I *think* I know better.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062, 831.6 hrs
Countdown to 1000 hrs~169 to go
Sensenich 62"x46" Wood prop
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection
do not archive

On Jan 3, 2010, at 3:03 PM, laflyins wrote:

[...]

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 79913#279913

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
rickofudall

Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Location: Udall, KS, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

Jim, While your battery vendor is trying to give you good advice for a lawn tractor or similar ground based device, is he aware of the abused life an aircraft battery generally leads? Sitting for long periods of time then asked to give it's rated cold cranking amps after which it gets a brief charge and then it's back to sitting for long periods, an aircraft battery should be on a regular replacement interval, IMHO. In my case I run them for 3 years maximum or the first sign of hesitancy to start the engine whichever comes first and then they get retired to some other activity. Amortized out over that 3 year period, my $38 AGM battery adds about $1 a month to my flying costs. Cheap insurance to know that if I need it for an in flight restart it'll be there for me. Just a thought.
Rick Girard

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Naftali Horowitz <naftalih(at)hotmail.com (naftalih(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] There must be a significant voltage drop when engaging the starter, since it draws appr. 200 amps. If no drop at all, then the starter brushes are not conducting at all, or nothing is connected to the starter.
Naftali.

Quote:
From: rivierja(at)cox.net (rivierja(at)cox.net)
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 12:03:46 -0800
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com (jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com)

[...]

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM prot="_blank">Sign up now.
Quote:

ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
The smallest miracle right in front of you is enough to make you happy....
BobsV35B(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

Good Morning Rick,

For the first fifty or so years of my flying career, I thought the same as you. Swap out the battery every couple of years or when it doesn't crank the engine as robustly as it had in the past.

However, about ten years ago the FAA started to encourage load testing of aircraft batteries. Along about the same time. they started to insist that manufacturers supply Instructions For Continued Airworthiness documents for most everything we put in our airplanes. 'Lectric Bob (That is the way Bob Nuckolls was signing his messages when I first discovered his written wisdom) was telling us that we should be load testing our batteries. He also mentioned that it only takes about ten percent of a battery's normal strength to make a normal engine start so if we wait to replace a battery until cranking becomes an issue, we have waited far too long. It is especially bad if our airplane needs the battery to keep us in the air following a failure of the electrical generating device.

Consequently, I broke down and spent way more than I wanted to and purchased a high tech load testing device. It has been an eye opener. Some of my high priced certified batteries have failed the test after not much more than a year while others have soldiered on for many years.

My super duper load tester from Concorde has proven to be a wise purchase for me, but much cheaper load testing can be done if you don't have to check as many batteries as I do.

'Lectric Bob also has recommended that, in addition to load testing, regular replacement on a schedule such as you advise is cheap insurance for those who have an electrically dependent engine. If you use a two battery system, change one every year, but do the load testing as well!

As to adding a direct starter ground. I had weak cranking on my Stearman for the first fifteen years I owned it. A couple of years ago I finally heeded 'Lectric Bob's advice and ran a fat wire from the battery ground direct to the starter, It has made the a prop spin so fast I think I could taxi on the thrust. I had always checked the aircraft's grounding straps and generally found them to be in good shape, but running that fat wire is something I should have done fifteen years ago.

Happy Skies

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Downers Grove, IL
LL22
Stearman N3977A

From: rivierja(at)cox.net (rivierja(at)cox.net)
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 12:03:46 -0800
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com (jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com)

[...]

====================================
List href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
====================================
ms.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
====================================
tp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
====================================

[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
punchy(at)frontiernet.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

Rick, where and what model number do you buy for $38.

============
============

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
imap8ntr(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

Lynn
I agree. When my AGM battery is fully charged it reads 12.7-12.9v. As a
rule of thumb 12.4 is 40% charged, 12.2 is 20% charged. A new battery
seems to hit almost 13.v when fully charged. My Odyssey charger also
measured the % charge and substantiates this.
Ivan
---

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
rickofudall

Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Location: Udall, KS, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

It's a PowerSonic PSH 12180NB-FR. I got it at Allpak Battery in Wichita, KS

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
The smallest miracle right in front of you is enough to make you happy....
lbmathias(at)verizon.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

I use the same Odyssey battery and mine only lasts about 2 years.

Linda Mathias
[quote] ---

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
Clive J

Joined: 03 Nov 2007
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

I wouldn't get hung up about battery volts. 12 point this or that. To
find out how good a battery is you need to pull some load off it (or use
a tester).

A good battery that sits in the low twelve's can still carry out many
cranks. A crap battery in the high twelve's could decay quickly once
it's doing a bit of work.
As mentioned elsewhere a couple of hundred amps is what we are talking
about, that will drag a poor battery down quickly (voltage) no matter
what the voltage started at. And it's the pressure (volts) that pushes
the current through to do the work.
Well at least that's how it figures in my head and is also my
experience.

I got a golf cart battery for a few quid and it lasted fine for a year.
When it died on my 2200 (poor starting in the winter in UK) I used it
Ok for a couple of years on my 3300 which cranks far better that the
2200.
Eventually I had to put my hand in my pocket. I put the newest battery
on the 2200 and then moved the old one to the 3300 as it's more tolerant
and a far better starter.

Mind you I haven't ground out the choke lever (starting carburettor) on
the 2200 yet which I'm hoping will improve the starting in cold weather.
(Rogers pictures on Yahoo).

Regarding fat wires, the resistance of a chunky wire is low, but as we
are banging hundred of amps through it the voltage dropped across that
resistance can be an issue. The longer the wire the more the resistance
so the fatter it should be. Why batteries in the back maybe good for W+B
but poor for starting (unless you have a Kolb).

Get someone to crank your plane with the mags grounded and see what the
difference between the voltage on the battery +'ve and the voltage on
that bit of cable that sticks out of the starter where the poor rubber
cracks. You can see what the cable/solenoid+contacts is losing. Also
measure the voltage between the starter bolt head and the negative
terminal on the battery (while cranking) if the starter ground is good
there won't be any, if you are seeing something the reading is what you
are loosing in cranking volts for your starter. Or measure the voltage
across the hole in the starter cable and the bolt head. That's what is
getting to do the work on your electric motor (almost).

I've never measured what a new battery drops to when it's cranking but
it would be a good exercise as it should give you a good starting point.
Later as the battery starts to get old and fails to do the business note
it again. Somewhere in between is where you should bin the battery.

Regarding preheat, a battery will produce less voltage when it gets
colder. You may have seen your modern car battery has an insulated
jacket around it. If the battery is very cold it won't perform as well.
Worth insulating your battery if you live in extreme conditions I would
have thought Though after a few days will still reach ambient.

Regards Clive
--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
ces308

Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Location: houghton lake ,mi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Problem Reply with quote

Hello all....

I have a A-2200 ser-1228 on my Kolb Mark III Xtra and I am just having this problem on starting. Where can I find the SB on the ground strap? The one I have on the engine is a small copper strap from the bottom of the block to the motor mount. And Why all of a sudden the problem?? Any ideas?

chris ambrose
Kolb Mark 3 Xtra / Jabiru A-2200 ser# 1228....106 hrs on it
N327CS

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
ronlee

Joined: 25 Dec 2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Problem Reply with quote

I have a Toyota pickup that will start intermittently when the big copper washer in the solenoid does not contact the incoming and outgoing posts. Even though it sounds like the solenoid engages with a robust click. What happens is the contacts get burned down to a height that the washer can't make contact across them when pulled in by the solenoid. With the solenoid engaged you should have twelve volts coming in and the same going out, if not then there is no connection happening in the solenoid.

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Ron Lee
Tucson, Arizona
pete(at)usjabiru.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Starting Problem Reply with quote

A small copper strap probably is not sufficient. You need a ground cable
from starter to airframe that is as large as the starter cable itself. #4
welding cable is the norm. The starter service bulletin and all other
bulletins can be found on Jabiru's web site www.jabiru.net.au . If your
engine has been starting ok in the past but suddenly is not then you problem
may be in another area like weak battery, corrosion in the dist caps or
rotor, old spark plugs with incorrect gap, out of spec coil to magnet gap,
etc. A little detective work goes a long way here.

Pete

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
ces308

Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Location: houghton lake ,mi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Problem Reply with quote

Thank you all....
I will be working on it tomorrow..or should I say later this morning.I will let you know what happens tonight..

chris ambrose
M3X/Jab A2200 106 hrs ser# 1228
N327CS

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
ces308

Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Location: houghton lake ,mi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Problem Reply with quote

Help !

I think I found the problem...it's the starter...it looks like the front bearing was just touching the edge of the hole it goes into and now doesn't fit in there at all...there's a good 1/4 in of play at the end of the armature and is going against the field...How can I get a hold of Jabiru?? The west coast number was disconnected...

thanks,

chris ambrose

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next