Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

aluminum renforcing angles on the outboard ribs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrHook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: aluminum renforcing angles on the outboard ribs Reply with quote

I am rebuilding the wingtips of the firestar, and will be using 3/8" tubing for all of the bracing, false rib, instead of the 5/16" and 1/4"
Does anyone have any pics or suggestions from old archives, that show improvements, such as the aluminum renforcing angles on the outboard ribs etc.
Thanks, Chris

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: aluminum renforcing angles on the outboard ribs Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Really good move streingthening all those areas. It only adds a few pounds and adds a huge amount of streingth and stiffness. Here are some pictures of my MK 3 wing with the streingthening you talk about.

John Hawk is also an expert on improving the streingth and stiffnes of the wings, he is the one that suggested this to me.

Dont forget to streingthen the wingtips also. There have been some cases where the weak tips start to flutter and are just very fragile all around. A few days ago I saw John lift the entire side of is plane up by the wingtip, and it didnt even start to bow or move. Hope this helps you out.

Michael A. Bigelow

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

DSC00053.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.21 KB
 Viewed:  322 Time(s)

DSC00053.JPG

DSC00119.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  160.79 KB
 Viewed:  326 Time(s)

DSC00119.JPG

DSC00055.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.09 KB
 Viewed:  299 Time(s)

DSC00055.JPG

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
DrHook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: aluminum renforcing angles on the outboard ribs Reply with quote

That looks strong, Michael.
What size is the angle aluminum, & wall thickness? I will at least, do that on the outer rib. Might be a tad overkill for my little 1 seater Firestar.
The picture tells it all.
Thanks Michael
Chris

DrHook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: aluminum renforcing angles on the outboard ribs Reply with quote

What I meant to say, is it might be a tad overkill to do all the ribs that way.
Chris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: