Gasoline smell
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
Terry Phillips

Location: Corvallis, MT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Gasoline smell Reply with quote

Gordon

One thought occurs to me: could the gasoline smell be coming from the
engine compartment? If the 701 has the slots in the firewall for the rudder
pedal steering rods like the 601XL, there is a ready passage way for all
kinds of engine odors, including gasoline. The smell could be coming from
other openings in the firewall as well. Just a thought.

Terry
At 04:33 PM 3/31/2009 -0400, you wrote:
Quote:
And so --- I pulled the inspection plates that I installed so I could
access the tank senders and was sure that I would find a leak. Not only is
the area dry with no sign of a leak, there is no fuel smell at all in the
wings. The cabin smelled of gasoline when I opened the door as it always
does. Just to be sure I've topped off both tanks and left the inspection
covers off and will check it in the morning.
I also "have sniffed the rubber fuel line and can not detect an odor from
it (well it does smell like rubber)."
Beats me-- I'm about to give up on it unless someone else has an idea.

I did install the new rubber landing gear blocks that ZAC now sells to
replace the rubber hose. Big difference and very tuff material.
Gordon

Terry Phillips ZBAGer
ttp44~at~rkymtn.net
Corvallis MT
601XL/Jab 3300 s .. l .. o .. o .. w build kit - Tail, flaps, & ailerons
are done; waiting on the wings
http://www.mykitlog.com/N47TP/

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
Terry Phillips
Corvallis, MT
ttp44<at>rkymtn.net
Zenith 601XL/Jab 3300 slow build kit - Tail feathers done; working on the wings.
ggower_99(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Gasoline smell Reply with quote

Is part of flying and our love for airplanes... We have to admit that Airplanes have a very pretty smell of gasoline and live with it.
I prefer to get home from flying, Saturday evening with this wonderfull gasoline aroma inpregnated, than the most exquisite french parfume Smile  Smile Smile

Saludos
Gary Gower
Flying a beautifull 701 STOL Mistress... and still happy married Smile
Do not archive.

De: Dan Wilde <dwilde(at)clearwire.net>
Objet: Re: Re: Gasoline smell
À: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Date: mardi 31 Mars 2009, 15 h 38

Quote:
--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: Dan Wilde
<dwilde(at)clearwire.net>

I too have noticed the gasoline smell on several occasions. Here is my
hypothesis for what may be happening with the 701. I have the vented
caps and it may be when the tanks are full or close to full, fuel
can slosh up to the lid and a little escapes from the cap and runs
down into the wing where the smell can linger for days. I have sniffed
the rubber fuel line and can not detect an odor from it (well it does
smell like rubber).

Dan Wilde
N948DW

kissell wrote:
Quote:
--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "kissell"
<kissellr(at)ameritech.net>

Quote:

I have experienced the described "smell" as well since first
flight. I have inspected the fuel system several times for any leak and found

nothing. I recently ordered new fuel line that is claimed to not out gas through
the side wall, at $5 a foot from AS. I will let you all know if this solves my
fume issue.
Quote:

Bob Kissell N701UB

Offrez un compte Flickr Pro à vos amis et à votre famille. Allez-y!
Quote:

ist" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
=nofollow>http://forums.matronics.com
blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
randy(at)rjhebertassoc.co
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Gasoline smell Reply with quote

Gary
I totally agree with Tommy Walker
You are a trip.

By the way, Tommy, I did get the package yesterday, Thanks again

Definitely DO NOT ARCHIVE

Randall J Hebert
Randall J Hebert & Associates, Inc
Consulting Engineers
Ph 337-261-1976 Fx 337-261-1977

I prefer to get home from flying, Saturday evening with this wonderfull gasoline aroma inpregnated, than the most exquisite french parfume Smile Smile Smile

[quote] [b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
kissell

Joined: 05 Dec 2006
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasoline smell Reply with quote

A little additional insight to the gas "smell". Per the Zenith materials list the 701 uses about 18 feet of fuel line. I just measured the circumference (C) of the new AS line at 1 5/8 inch. If you multiply this C by the 18 feet of line and assume about 80% of this computed area is in the cabin and fuse area, you end up with about 2 sq. feet of surface area that potentially can out-gas fumes. We all know that even a small amount of fuel can create a noticeable smell, it is possible the line I used is permeable to some of the VOC's in the fuel and might cause the "smell". The line that I just purchased is made by Parker and designed to prevent the out-gas problem. So if that is the source, then by replacement of the line with something designed for that problem, it should go away. If the line is not the problem, then I just spent $100 to eliminate the line as a source.

Bob K.

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
cscsail(at)gmavt.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Gasoline smell Reply with quote

I'm now inclined to believe that Johann G is right-on, I have two of the AS brass "homebuilder shut-off valves" and although there is no noticeable leaking the smell does seem to be stronger in that area, and I have checked every other possibility. I've discounted the permeable fuel hose idea, because there is absolutely no fuel smell in the wings (after removing an inspection plate). I can live with it --- just want to know the cause.
Gordon
---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2