Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ding(at)tbscc.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Zenith 601 XL / Corvair N4ZK made it's maiden voyage tonight. It has a standard recipe William Wynne conversion, and performance is excellent. Climbout is strong and handling easy. I have no performance numbers to share yet, as I was more concerned at this early stage with just monitoring critical temps and airspeed. EGT and CHT were well below the max indicators I placed on the guage faces, but oil temp did keep creeping up, and required me to throttle back to arrest the trend after a while. This plane is fast and smooth, and my single landing so far was easy. High idle speed carried me a ways down the runway, and that will be addressed in time. It seemed to take quite a bit of elevator trim to bring the nose up and remove the pressure from the stick. It's possible I'll need to adjust the elevator angle a bit, but too soon to say. It's currently 1 deg. down. A very nice handling plane, and I'm looking forward to burning off some of those pesky Phase one hours. I'll share more as I gather performance data and tweak things if needed. Keep building !!
Lynn Dingfelder
601 XL / Corvair Corry, PA. ding(at)tbscc.com (ding(at)tbscc.com)
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
amyvega2005(at)earthlink.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

difelder my man! i think we met at Russ's place at ZPH. COngrats

JUan

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

TxDave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First Flight Reply with quote

Congrats Lynn. Thanks for sharing your triumph with the group. I look forward to hearing more reports.

Dave Clay
Temple, TX

sdthatcher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: First Flight Reply with quote

Congratulations Lynn! That first flight has to go down as one of the most heart pounding, adrenaline rushing experiences ever... unless you do test flights for a living Cool That heaviness seems to be fairly common as mine is also very heavy, yet well within the CG. I talked to Scott L. awhile back and he said his stabilizer was down in front and up in back and now flies hands-off. I'm looking forward to that day, although he does have about 30 lbs back in the baggage area as well. Again congratulations.

Scott Thatcher
N601EL w/Corvair E-LSA
16 hours and climbing

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: First Flight Reply with quote

Congratulations!!!
At what temp did you oil temp peak and which of WW's oil cooling systems do you have? The remote or the newer on the engine version.

n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Congrats to you...
Fly safe.
do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

-- "dingfelder" <ding(at)tbscc.com> wrote:
Zenith 601 XL / Corvair N4ZK made it's maiden voyage tonight. It has a standard recipe William Wynne conversion, and performance is excellent. Climbout is strong and handling easy. I have no performance numbers to share yet, as I was more concerned at this early stage with just monitoring critical temps and airspeed. EGT and CHT were well below the max indicators I placed on the guage faces, but oil temp did keep creeping up, and required me to throttle back to arrest the trend after a while. This plane is fast and smooth, and my single landing so far was easy. High idle speed carried me a ways down the runway, and that will be addressed in time. It seemed to take quite a bit of elevator trim to bring the nose up and remove the pressure from the stick. It's possible I'll need to adjust the elevator angle a bit, but too soon to say. It's currently 1 deg. down. A very nice handling plane, and I'm looking forward to burning off some of those pesky Phase one hours. I'll share more as I gather performance data and tweak things if needed.  Keep building !!
                Lynn Dingfelder
                601 XL / Corvair Corry, PA.  ding(at)tbscc.com (ding(at)tbscc.com)
Quote:

====================================
">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
tronics.com
www.matronics.com/contribution

PatrickW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: First Flight Reply with quote

Great news! Congrats on your accomplishment. Smile

- Pat

leinad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: First Flight Reply with quote

Lynn,
Congrats! I love it when I hear about another Corvair powered Zodiac making it to the skys.
Dan Dempsey
601XL Plans Builder/Corvair

[quote="ding(at)tbscc.com"]Zenith 601 XL / Corvair N4ZK made it's maiden voyage tonight. .....
Lynn Dingfelder
601 XL / Corvair Corry, PA. ding(at)tbscc.com (ding(at)tbscc.com)
Quote:
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: