Spray booth??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
occom

Joined: 26 Aug 2006

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Spray booth?? Reply with quote

I've been spraying the fill/uv coats (ekofill in my case, Stewarts, lovely stuff NO fumes) and I'm thinking a spray booth would help me keep the other items in the garage clean. The overspray even with HVLP gets all over.

Has anyone got pictures, drawings, recommendations for a temporary, inexpensive and ultimately disposable spray booth?

Dave G.
Do not archive
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
larry huntley

Joined: 19 Jul 2008

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Spray booth?? Reply with quote

Dave,
I have tried a number of things over the years. Usually it is in the form of plastic sheets fastened to the ceiling and hanging to the floor. With all the Stewart materials you can wet down the floor with a hose to keep dust down. I have seen the plastic hemmed and threaded on a PVC framework that worked quite well and was cheap. A good fan is needed to keep the overspray moving along. Even with the small amount of overspray you will end up with more than you want after painting even one airplane.
I now have a "curtian barn" panel from Farmtek that drops 9' to the floor and separates my 20' X 20' basement into a clean area and a paint area. Couldn't do this down there without fumigating the house before the Stewart Process.
Good luck, Larry Huntley
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

_________________
Larry Huntley,Dundee,NY
Kitfox 4-1200 N234EE
EA81,AMAX Redrive Warp 3 blade
Jimz

Joined: 09 Dec 2007

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Spray booth?? Reply with quote

I have tried several booths and the one I like best is just buy rolls of plastic at your home supply store and duct tape them to the ceiling and let them hang to the floor. This protects all the cabinets and tool in the garage. I have an exhaust fan at one end of the garage and adjust the door at the other end for air flow. Simple & cheap. The biggest advantage is you have a big booth. Jim Series 5 covered and rebuilding an 0-200. Lake Elmo MN.
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Tom Jones

Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Location: Ellensburg, WA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Spray booth?? Reply with quote

My shop is pole construction with open trusses. I stretched rope between the trusses and attached plastic sheets with clothes pins. Quick and disposable.

I just remembered. The plastic wants to blow around just from the draft created by walking around inside the booth. If it isnt tight to the floor the poly spray still gets out and all over the shop. I used plastic wide enough so that the bottom edges lied on the floor a couple feet or so and used plastic milk jugs and such filled with water to hold the bottom edge down tight.

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

_________________
Tom Jones
Classic IV
503 Rotax, 72 inch Two blade Warp
Ellensburg, WA
dan(at)azshowersolutions.
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Spray booth?? Reply with quote

A few ideas using PVC...

http://www.azshowersolutions.com/Shop9.html

Dave <occom(at)ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
[quote] I've been spraying the fill/uv coats (ekofill in my case, Stewarts, lovely stuff NO fumes) and I'm thinking a spray booth would help me keep the other items in the garage clean. The overspray even with HVLP gets all over.

Has anyone got pictures, drawings, recommendations for a temporary, inexpensive and ultimately disposable spray booth?

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
mdkitfox(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Spray booth?? Reply with quote

Dave,

I used wood 1x2's, duct tape, and plastic to build a paint room in half of my 2 car garage.  Made a door for coming and going and a big door for moving the parts in and out.  I covered the floor in brown paper - cheap and quick and easily replaced when dirty.  The room was only big enough for one major part at at a time, plus the spray equipment and supplies.  I used a fan, with the motor on the outside, (to avoid sparking in the paint area).  I also had filters on the inlet and blew the filtered air into the room so that the slight pressure increase kept the bugs out (they sneak in from every little opening.)  I also had one wall, opposite the fan, made of AC filters, to trap the overspray and keep it from getting into the rest of the garage.  It took about 4 or 5 months to get it all done, but cleanup took only about an hour and the cost was minimal, probably less than $75.  Most of the expense was for the filters.
Quote:
I also had a $30 dollar dual halogen lamp with water/explosion proof glass.  It provided great light, but I think I would go with a florescent tube if I had it to do over - less heat, better light for looking at the surface.  (I did use a=2 0portable florescent tube to augment the halogens.)

I can send pictures if you like, but it's pretty straight forward.  Let me know and I'll dig them out if you're interested.

Rick Weiss
Series V Speedster - close to taxi testing.

--

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
marin

Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Location: Stanwood WA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Spray booth?? Reply with quote

Dave

I just finished my paint both and am ready to paint. www.mykitlog.com/marin/ I hope it will help. I am not building a kitfox but enjoy this group so I listen in.

Marin

This e-mail is confidential and it is intended only for the addressees. Any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail and delete the message from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which may arise as a result of the e-mail transmission.

--

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

_________________
Marin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
pulsair(at)mindspring.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Spray booth?? Reply with quote

I built a booth out of PVC pipe that was easy to take apart and put back together. I covered it in plastic and placed a fan on one end with a furnace filter. On the other end I cut out "Exhaust Ports." I ran the fan on the lowest speed possible and wet the floor. It worked great! Of course after 12 years I still have a big "Forest Green" square on my garage floor. Jeff Classic IV KTZR
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
7suds(at)Chartermi.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Spray booth?? Reply with quote

Guys,
I read somewhere not to wet the floor, I always did it when I was painting cars but they say not to do it for the Polytone because it raises the humidity in the booth and causes the finish to have a milky or dull finish. Yes, I read this after I painted my fuselage and had a slightly dull finish that was corrected by latter buffing the finish.

Lloyd

Do not archive
[...]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.comhref="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
Quote:
9
Quote:
[...]

Checked by AVG.
8/11/2008 5:50 AM

Checked by AVG.
8/11/2008 5:50 AM
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
thesupe(at)hotmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Spray booth?? Reply with quote

I read the same thing in the Polyfiber manual. Jim Chuk Kfox C Avids C Mn

From: 7suds(at)Chartermi.netTo: kitfox-list(at)matronics.comSubject: RE: Kitfox-List: Spray booth??Date: Tue C 12 Aug 2008 20:34:48 -0500

Guys C
I read somewhere not to wet the floor C I always did it when I was painting cars but they say not to do it for the Polytone because it raises the humidity in the booth and causes the finish to have a milky or dull finish. Yes C I read this after I painted my fuselage and had a slightly dull finish that was corrected by latter buffing the finish.

Lloyd

Do not archive
From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jeff pulsSent: Monday C August 11 C 2008 9:09 PMTo: kitfox-list(at)matronics.comSubject: Re: Spray booth??

I built a booth out of PVC pipe that was easy to take apart and put back together. I covered it in plastic and placed a fan on one end with a furnace filter. On the other end I cut out "Exhaust Ports." I ran the fan on the lowest speed possible and wet the floor. It worked great! Of course after 12 years I still have a big "Forest Green" square on my garage floor. Jeff Classic IV KTZR
---

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
occom

Joined: 26 Aug 2006

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Spray booth?? Reply with quote

I have the Poly, Hipec and Stewarts manuals. Stewarts is the only one where high humidity is not an issue. I've really become a huge fan, easier to work with and no fumes. There's a manual online is anyone is interested in reading up on it. http://www.stewartsystems.aero/support.aspx
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
larry huntley

Joined: 19 Jul 2008

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Spray booth?? Reply with quote

Depends on the type of finish you are using. Dope will"blush" and look terrible if sprayed on a humid day. Stewart's is a water borne finish and doesn't mind a bit of extra water in the air. Larry
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Larry Huntley,Dundee,NY
Kitfox 4-1200 N234EE
EA81,AMAX Redrive Warp 3 blade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours