Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevator trim tab information needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

[quote="planecrazzzy"]Oooooh,
I see , you know everything....and "I'm" a liar

Whatever...
Gotta Fly...
Like I said, even if you were able to get a motor to get into a back and fourth failure mode, a trim surface is geared down so far, the motor could NEVER move it back and fourth fast enough to cause flutter. A fialure mode that could cause a motor to run back and forth rapidly is a servo motor application, NOT trim motor Michael Sharp. Just because you might have seen one vibrate does not mean that this type of behavior translates to trim motors. Even in the worst case scenario if you intentionally induced a trim motor to run back and forth as fast as it could be commanded to, it would never be fast enough to equate to the trim surface moving back and forth fast enough to be flutter. Ever seen how slow an electric trim operates ? Flutter is something that happens many times each second.

PlaneCrazzy, said you were wrong, which you are. Why you are trying to turn this around into " Calling you a liar " is beyond me, you need to re-read what I wrote, no offense was intended. Also, I never claimed to know everything, but I do know about this subject, which is exactly why I posted in this thread.

Mike

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Seems to me that if someone wants a "real airplane" maybe they should have bought one...>>

Even `real` airplanes suffer from elevator flutter. The Hawker `Typhoon` which was the replacement for the Hurricane suffered so badly that the fuselage tended to break off.

Had it not been for the tenacity and faith of `Roly` Beaumont, later test pilot but at that time Sqdron Leader of the squadron which was issued with these massive beasts it is highly likely that the `Tiffie` would have been withdrawn and the RAF would have been robbed of one of the best ground attack fighter bombers of the war. When equipped with rockets it was deadly as any poor sod of a German caught in the Falaise Pocket can testify

Pat

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ed in JXN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Hi Mike S.,

Would be very interested in hearing about your electric trim fluttering back-and-forth.

In over 30 years of flying, I've yet to see one do that. Have had runaways and frozen trim problems, but never one go back-and-forth independently. Not saying it's impossible, just have never heard of such happening. I agree it's nearly impossible for an electric trim to induce flutter. They don't work that fast. Haven't seen an NTSB report citing such either.

Ed in JXN
MkII/503
[quote] ---

Michael Sharp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Ed,

Hello there. My statement was "I've seen several of electric motors flutter back and forth". I never said anything about electric trim. I could go on and on about that. but it is not Kolb related. I have had one electric trim motor shutter on me but it was the motor and did not induce any control flutter. It was a shutter that stopped when the switch shut down, as it should have.

I'm glad that you have had 30 yrs experience and have not had any malfunctions in electic motors. good for you.

And to those that got their panties in a wad about my "real airplane" comment it had nothing to do with our airplanes. it was a shot at those that want to put more and more crap on our AIRPLANES that is not needed. As John Hauke is well versed in saying. And I agree with him.

Mike,

Do not archive.

Ed Chmielewski <edchmiel(at)mindspring.com> wrote:
Hi Mike S.,

Would be very interested in hearing about your electric trim fluttering back-and-forth.

In over 30 years of flying, I've yet to see one do that. Have had runaways and frozen trim problems, but never one go back-and-forth independently. Not saying it's impossible, just have never heard of such happening. I agree it's nearly impossible for an electric trim to induce flutter. They don't work that fast. Haven't seen an NTSB report citing such either.

Ed in JXN
MkII/503
---

Roughing it' 1886

Mike
ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

I think y'all are chasing the wrong gremlin.

It isn't that the motor is oscillating, it's the fact that the
combination of weight, linkage, trim tab, mounting method, etc changes
the aerodynamic characteristics of the control surface & the new
assembly *might* be more likely to flutter. All that extra stuff will
have its own resonant frequency and it will also change the resonant
frequency of the control surface it's attached to.

BTW, oscillation *can* happen if you're using a servo-type motor &
controller instead of a plain DC gear motor & simply reversing the power
leads to drive it.

Charlie

Ed Chmielewski wrote:
[quote] Hi Mike S.,

Would be very interested in hearing about your electric trim
fluttering back-and-forth.

In over 30 years of flying, I've yet to see one do that. Have
had runaways and frozen trim problems, but never one go back-and-forth
independently. Not saying it's impossible, just have never heard of
such happening. I agree it's nearly impossible for an electric trim to
induce flutter. They don't work that fast. Haven't seen an NTSB report
citing such either.

Ed in JXN
MkII/503

---

JetPilot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Michael Sharp wrote:
Ed,

Hello there. My statement was "I've seen several of electric motors flutter back and forth". I never said anything about electric trim. ---

The discussion is about electric trim, and you made this statement in response to an electric trim discussion, you very clearly implied that you were talking about electric trim.

Michael Sharp wrote:

No Mike, YOU ARE NOT!

I know we have had our disagreements in the past. It is obvious that you were so anxious to jump into this and take sides, you were willing to post bad and misleading information just so that you could jump on the bandwagon. Now that this is not going the way you thought, and there is no group bashing, your response is " I did not say what I posted ".

Maybe getting over past differences would be the best way to go here. People come here for good information about Kolbs, we should try to post good and accurate information, not just try to disagree with someone you don't like.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Michael Sharp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

NO SIR!

The reply that i made was to a Kolber who stated that servo's and or motors chatter or flutter.

You are the one who is in error once again!

JetPilot <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "JetPilot"
Michael Sharp wrote:
Quote:
Ed,

Hello there. My statement was "I've seen several of electric motors flutter back and forth". I never said anything about electric trim. ---

The discussion is about electric trim, and you made this statement in response to an electric trim discussion, you very clearly implied that you were talking about electric trim.
Michael Sharp wrote:
Quote:

No Mike, YOU ARE NOT!

I know we [quote][b]

Roughing it' 1886

Mike
herbgh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Back in the C band(large satellite days) a servo motor was used to position the antenna stub in the feed horn 90 degrees..The controller was in the house and many feet removed from the servo..this caused the servo to "hunt" or oscillate... The cause was the "ringing" of the control pulse... due to the inductance and capacitance of the wire.. The fix was to turn off the pulse after it did its job between channel changes..
I think that a proper designed servo has what is called a "dead band" where small changes in the pulse width cause no rotation of the motor and gear chain.. Clear as mud?? Smile
These servo motors are plentiful and useable for our purpose.. Controlled by a 15 cent 555 timer circuit.. Servo motors are nearly free for the taking at salvage yards..Three wires...Black is gnd.. red is +5 and white is the control pulse.. Herb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: