First flight... not so good
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
rickpitcher

Joined: 27 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

I got a phone call a couple hours ago asking if my red and white Zodiac was still safe in the hangar. Turns out another Zodiac 601 HDS was taking it's first flight at a local airpark when the engine quit. The plane ended up on the roof of a house just a couple hundred feet short of the runway. The pilot is OK, just a few scratches and bruises. The plane didn't fare as well.

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

Last edited by rickpitcher on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:56 am; edited 2 times in total
planejim(at)bellsouth.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

Rick,

Thanks for sharing the news. Where are you located - where did this happen?

do not archive

Jim Hoak
---

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Back to top
rickpitcher

Joined: 27 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

planejim(at)bellsouth.net wrote:
Rick,

Thanks for sharing the news. Where are you located - where did this happen?

do not archive

Jim Hoak
---

I have a hangar at Fox Field in Lancaster, Calif. (WJF).
The unfortunate HDS was about 8 miles North at Rosamond Skypark (L00)
According to the Sheriff at the scene, the pilot was OK, but taken to a nearby hospitol to get checked out.

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Afterfxllc(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

I don't see a N # on that plane. Do you know what it is?

Jeff

Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL.com.

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Back to top
rickpitcher

Joined: 27 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

[quote="Afterfxllc(at)aol.com"]I don't see a N # on that plane. Do you know what it is?

Jeff
quote]

Yeah, I airbrushed the N-numbers off of the tail before posting the pix. No need to identify the owner at this time. I'm sure it'll all come out in an NTSB review sometime soon.
I'll post more info if something definitive comes up.

Rick Pitcher
Do not archive

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
LHusky(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

What engine did it have?

Larry Husky

Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL.com.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Back to top
Afterfxllc(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

Looks like a subi to me.

In a message dated 7/14/2007 10:54:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LHusky(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
What engine did it have?

Larry Husky

Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL.com.

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Back to top
amyvega2005(at)earthlink.
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

nice landing, i give it 5 points for grace and 5 for origianlity. Simone, whatdo you think?.

--

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Back to top
raymondj(at)frontiernet.n
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

Greetings Mr. Pitcher,

When posting doctored images, please anotate them as such to prevent any
confusion between them and actual photographs.

I believe that the "photos" you posted offer definitive proof that a
plane (which had an N#) hit a house.

Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN

"Hope for the best,
but prepare for the worst"

do not archive
---

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Back to top
rickpitcher

Joined: 27 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

raymondj(at)frontiernet.n wrote:
Greetings Mr. Pitcher,

When posting doctored images, please anotate them as such to prevent any
confusion between them and actual photographs.
do not archive
---

Sorry.
I hereby annotate the photo as "doctored" by removing the N-number before everyone got a chance to speculate why John Doe (not his real name) had problems with his first flight. I really didn't think it was neccessary.

Do not archive

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
rickpitcher

Joined: 27 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

[quote="rickpitcher"]
Afterfxllc(at)aol.com wrote:
I don't see a N # on that plane. Do you know what it is?

Jeff
quote]

Yeah, I airbrushed the N-numbers off of the tail before posting the pix. No need to identify the owner at this time. I'm sure it'll all come out in an NTSB review sometime soon.
I'll post more info if something definitive comes up.

Rick Pitcher
Do not archive

More information here:
http://www.avpress.com/n/15/0715_s8.hts

do not archive

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Michael Valentine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

Raymond,

If they are "doctored images" and not "actual photographs" then why do believe they offer definitive proof of anything?

I know that email is terrible at communicating intent, but you appear to be chastising Mr. Pitcher. If so, please spare us the holier-than-thou attitude. He was doing something he felt was appropriate in keeping the identity of the poor builder confidential for now, while still informing the list of a significant event of interest to all of us. While noting up front that he had removed the N number from the photograph would have been helpful, he is not trying to deceive anyone.

If your post was merely intended as a primer in photojournalistic ethics in the digital age, my sincerest apologies.

Michael in NH
601XL languishing in basement during the summer...

don't archive this either

On 7/15/07, raymondj <raymondj(at)frontiernet.net (raymondj(at)frontiernet.net)> wrote:[quote] --> Zenith-List message posted by: "raymondj" <raymondj(at)frontiernet.net (raymondj(at)frontiernet.net)>

Greetings Mr. Pitcher,

When posting doctored images, please anotate them as such to prevent any
confusion between them and actual photographs.

I believe that the "photos" you posted offer definitive proof that a
plane (which had an N#) hit a house.

Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN

"Hope for the best,
but prepare for the worst"

do not archive
---

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
raymondj(at)frontiernet.n
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

Michael,

My email to Mr. Pitcher was to express my preferences for annotating images.

I assumed no malice or intent to decieve by Mr. Pitcher, which is why I took the substance of the images as truthful and correct and commented that they offered definative proof of the event.

Mr. Pitcher made his intent clear. I did not chastise him for his decision.

I have no credentials to offer anyone advice on photojournalistic ethics. It is appropriate for me to make Mr. Pitcher aware of my preferences.

If, in the future, I should choose to chastise someone should I check with you first? You have indicated that you speak for "us"(whoever that is) when deciding which of my attitudes the list should be spared.

I hope I have made my intent clear.

Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN

"Hope for the best,
but prepare for the worst."

do not archive

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Back to top
raymondj(at)frontiernet.n
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Back to building and dreaming.

Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN

"Hope for the best,
but prepare for the worst."

do not archive

---

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Back to top
n85ae

Joined: 14 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

Here's the story, with pilots name, etc.

http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/188975.html

I hate it when people doctor stuff, that's readily available in the public
domain for purposes of ....

Regards,
Jeff

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
rickpitcher

Joined: 27 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

---
> --> Zenith-List message posted by: "n85ae" <n85ae(at)yahoo.com>
>
> Here's the story, with pilots name, etc.
>
> http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/188975.html
>
> I hate it when people doctor stuff, that's readily available in the public
> domain for purposes of ....

You seem to have trailed off in your statement about "for purposes of..."
What exactly do you believe the purpose was?

I have removed the offending photos.

Rick Pitcher

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
n85ae

Joined: 14 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

for purposes of ...

Beats hell out of me? Why doctor the photos?????

Jeff

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Afterfxllc(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

Guys I for one love to start a good Flame on here from time to time but asking about the N number was just to make sure the plane had been inspected and was legal to fly. Some take their bird into the air before inspection and I was hoping this wasn't one of them. I thank him for the photo's and don't really care that the N number was blocked out. He wasn't trying to hide it he was simply respecting the privacy of the owner, it isn't his place to post the N number that is for the news and the FAA. I think we are missing the bigger picture here. The plane hit the roof, broke the main gear off, flipped over and crushed the turtle deck of a 68 year old pilot that more than likely spent 2 to 3 years of his life to build. It is amazing he didn't get killed in it. And we are gonna bicker about the N number being blocked out. I for one feel very sorry for anyone that spends that much time to build a dream only to see it gone in a matter of seconds. I think we need to re think our priorates on this list. One person even made a joke about it. rating the landing a 5 WTF. If I lived in California I would offer help in any way I could to help this man get flying again but I don't but if he is a list member or someone knows him I do have some extra parts I would gladly give him as I'm sure many others on this list would.
I'm sorry for the rant but it just made me sick when I saw the plane and then the focus of the discussion afterwards.

Jeff

Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL.com.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Back to top
Gig Giacona

Location: El Dorado Arkansas USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

First, I think it was amazing luck that the pilot survived. I wish him well but would like engine he had in it and how his fuel system was set up.

Second, looking at the FAA registration database it shows the registration for that "602HDS" was dated 7/2/2004.

And last, it looks like Google has shut off there automatic pointer for N numbers.

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

_________________
W.R. "Gig" Giacona
601XL Under Construction
See my progress at www.peoamerica.net/N601WR
barcusc(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: First flight... not so good Reply with quote

I second that Jeff! Far too often people seem you get upset about trivial things and respond. My heart goes out to the guy who lost his dream, it is possible he my never be able to accomplish it now for many different reasons. I view the purpose of this list as a great resource for information from people with the same passion and more importantly, encouragement. If anybody needs encouragement now it is the gentlemen that lost his plane, I for one hope and pray he is able to dust his self off and go right back at it.

Clyde Barcus
601 XL, Continental Powered
Wings, Tail & Engine Complete
Working on Fuselage

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next