IFR Requirements (required vs. good to have)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
gmcjetpilot(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: IFR Requirements (required vs. good to have) Reply with quote

Bruce I am an airline guy and two things. Don't get a little GA plane's
mixed up with a large turbojet air transport category aircraft. The backup
ADI is required for part 121 and they are always electric. Now even the
standby ADI's are also solid state, tube devices, no mechanical gyro
at all. Mechanical gyros are going away, even for standby devices.

Your recommendation is a good one, but it is NOT a requirement. The
EAA hashed this out with the FAA, and if the EFIS has the function of
a Gyro it is acceptable. There is no regulation for experimentals that
REQUIRES the use of a mechanical vacume back-up, although I agree
with you, an independant standby is a good idea.

Vacuum gyros SUCKS (pun intended). Therefore an electric back-up
(either mechanical or solid state gyro) with a isolated power supply,
e.g., a secondary battery, is a great idea for IFR.

Bruce it is not a Pee match, just a conversation and we can agree to
disagree. Just want to clarify the difference between an air transport
where EVERYTHING has triple redundancy and our little pee-shooter
single engine birds. Don't fool yourself into thinking you achieve any
where near air transport system redundancy and fail-safe architecture
ever. All the standby instruments in the world will not help when the
the single engine stops or the crankshaft cracks and the prop falls off.
Single engine, single pilot IFR is a little risky anyway.

George ATP/CFII

[quote]From: "Bruce Gray" <Bruce(at)glasair.org (Bruce(at)glasair.org)>

OK, I've been in enough pissing contests on this subject that I don't
wantanother

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
frank.hinde(at)hp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: IFR Requirements (required vs. good to have) Reply with quote

Nice one george... iagree vacuum systems do suck (but not all the time)....Smile

For me I went with an Dynon EFIS (with a couple of steam guage backups) for primary flight and a truetrack Pictorial Pilot as the backup when everything goes mental.

the EFIS is battery backed up and my reduced power mode (SD-8 alternator) wll run a fuel pump, radio (to scream "HELP" on) and the transponder.

As you say if the prop falls off your dead anyway in IFR.

Frank
Zenair Zodiac 400 hours soon to be sold
RV7a paining.

From: "Bruce Gray" <Bruce(at)glasair.org (Bruce(at)glasair.org)>

OK, I've been in enough pissing contests on this subject that I don't
wantanother

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Bruce(at)glasair.org
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: IFR Requirements (required vs. good to have) Reply with quote

OK, yea those standby 2.5 ADI's are nice but I'd have to sell my Lexus to buy one.

What I don't understand is the willingness of some to go out and fly hard IFR with only a BMI/Dynon/whatever and a plumb bob as a backup. You might think that vacuum sucks but a properly maintained vacuum system is very reliable and it works when everything else goes dark.

Though I've never flown part 121 aircraft, I've paid my dues flying lots of other part 135 junk including a 2 year stint as a freight dog flying checks in D18's at night in Kansas. If it could fail, I've had it fail. It's all taught me several important lessons. Never, NEVER trust your life to one piece of equipment. Always leave yourself a way out. And there is no shame in canceling a flight.

Bruce
www.glasair.org
  [quote]
--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
brinker(at)cox-internet.c
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: IFR Requirements (required vs. good to have) Reply with quote

             Being a low time pilot excuse me if I seem to be talking out my wazoo here. But it seems like most experimental builders including myself are installing an angle of attack mine the AFS can operate off of a 9v battery, so it will not be affected by loss of the planes bus power. The AOA takes the place of the ASI and VSI so two steam gauges gone out of precouis panel space, not to mention that my backup 196 also shows airspeed, vsi, altitude, and of course heading so I don't get lost. And I think most pilots these days carry something similar. I also think most put their auto pilot as I will on the e-bus which should keep us out of a nose dive long enough to regroup. Insofar as a 2 1/4" T&B check Trutraks, around $450,which is the only round gauge I plan on, or spend a little more and get an electric ADI from them.  A few years ago these items we're unheard of or at least too expensive for most light aircraft. We now have redundancy in a flight bag along with some neat comparatively inexpensive items in dash. I'm not sure what hard IFR is, I'm not yet rated but am working on it, but I for one will cancel any flight I don't feel comfortable with and will hopefully not be flying into any wing breaking weather with the help of xm and an old outdated wx8.

Randy
opinions ARE like noses and I hope mine is'nt sticking out so far as to get knocked off
[quote] ---

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
rtitsworth

Location: Detroit, Mi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: IFR Requirements (required vs. good to have) Reply with quote

One small pet peeve of mine – the 196 shows GROUND SPEED (not airspeed).  A simple point – but add some tailwind and/or density altitude and the differences can be disastrous – especially in an emergency when mental workload is high.  Do yourself a favor and repeat it ten times so you don’t forget.  It shows ground speed not IAS.