Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deburring ribs, spar, channels and wing skins RW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdelano(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Deburring ribs, spar, channels and wing skins RW Reply with quote

Hi all,

Is there a rule of thumb for deburring on a CH-701. Is a vixen file the best, flat file or should one go lightly with a countersink bit or large drill bit. Is it enough to do under the factory head and between mating surfaces or does one have to remove the burrs from every side, even where the shop head of the rivet will contact. The building standards say to ensure not to counter sink holes and a flat file may pull material into the hole but I don’t believe it describes how best to do this work. I have done all the drilling on the upper and lower wing skins for the right wing and started deburring when I thought, I’d better see what others on the list have done.

Regards,

Perry
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
dougsnash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Deburring ribs, spar, channels and wing skins RW Reply with quote

Perry, burrs are a sharp edge and provide a point which could become a stress riser and potentially lead to a crack. In other words, get rid of them all. I am a bit obsessive about eliminating burrs and sharp edges on my projects. Fortunately, the 6061T6 which Zenith planes are made from is fairly easy to eliminate burrs. Rather than using the time consuming method of going over every hole with a larger drill bit or with a de-burring tool, you can easily de-burr using a file. I found a nice little vixen file at Princess Auto in their autobody department. The file is about a one inch square of file blade attached to a small wooden block. The file's intent is for removing small lumps in automotive body filler but is works great on aluminum. I also used a six inch fairly fine file to clean up the edges of the parts. Basically, when the part is de-burred acceptably, you should be able to run your bare hand over any portion of the part and not get cut.

Hope this helps

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 from scratch
NW Ontario, Canada

To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sunday, June 9, 2013 11:54:00 PM
Subject: Zenith701801-List: Deburring ribs, spar, channels and wing skins RW

Hi all,

Is there a rule of thumb for deburring on a CH-701. Is a vixen file the best, flat file or should one go lightly with a countersink bit or large drill bit. Is it enough to do under the factory head and between mating surfaces or does one have to remove the burrs from every side, even where the shop head of the rivet will contact. The building standards say to ensure not to counter sink holes and a flat file may pull material into the hole but I don’t believe it describes how best to do this work. I have done all the drilling on the upper and lower wing skins for the right wing and started deburring when I thought, I’d better see what others on the list have done.

Regards,

Perry

[quote]http://www.matroni====================

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pdelano(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Deburring ribs, spar, channels and wing skins RW Reply with quote

Hi all,
[quote]Thanks for the advice on deburring. I took the 12” vixen file I had from Lee Valley and cut 4” of it. I found this was a bit long to get between crimps, so off the 8” left I cut another 2” chunk to get between crimps. The 2” is handy as it does not hit too many holes at once allowing one to do a couple holes at a time. The longer ones work better on the spar and longer runs where one can have a good grip on the file. Now I have a 2”, 4” and 6” vixen file. I used the combination to deburr the lower right wing skeleton. It works well, but as one of the poster’s said, I need to round off the edges so it does not create scratches on the skins. I will do that before deburring the lower skin and nose skin. Thanks again, Regards, Perry[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: