Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ENGINES FOR SALE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelrorth

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: ENGINES FOR SALE Reply with quote

FOR SALE
3 ENGINES & 1 PROP

ENGINE #1-RIGHT
CONTINENTAL 10-470L
S/N 91968-5-L
TTSO 1489.8
COMPLETE ENGINE & PROPELLER PITCH CONTROL.
COMPLETE LOGS.
REMOVED FROM BEECHCRAFT BARON THAT LANDED GEAR-UP. INCIDENT HAS NOT BEEN ENTERED INTO ENGINE LOG.
OIL DRAINED AND SHOWED NO SIGN OF CONTAMINATION.
OIL-PAN DROPPED AND VISUAL INSPECTION SHOWED NO SIGN OF DAMAGE.
MY FEELING IS THAT THIS ENGINE DID NOT SUFFER ANY DAMAGE AS THE RESULT OF THE ACCIDENT.
COULD BE USED IN A/C, AIRBOAT, OR HOVERCRAFT.
PRICE $5, 000 USD; YOU PAY SHIPPING.

ENGINE #2-LEFT
CONTINENTAL 10-470L
S/N 91945-5-L
TTSO 1457.8
COMPLETE ENGINE & PROPELLER PITCH CONTROL.
COMPLETE LOGS
REMOVED FROM BEECHCRAFT BARON THAT LANDED GEAR-UP. INCIDENT HAS NOT BEEN ENTERED INTO ENGINE LOG.
OIL DRAINED AND SHOWED NO SIGN OF CONTAMINATION.
OIL-PAN DROPPED AND VISUAL INSPECTION SHOWED NO SIGN OF DAMAGE.
MY FEELING IS THAT THIS ENGINE DID NOT SUFFER ANY DAMAGE AS THE RESULT OF THE ACCIDENT.
COULD BE USED IN A/C, AIRBOAT, OR HOVERCRAFT.
PRICE $5, 000 USD; YOU PAY SHIPPING.

ENGINE #3

LYCOMING IO-540 G1D5
S/N L-9927-48
TTSO 5.43
COMPLETE LOGS

PROP #1

HARTZELL HC-92WK-1DW
TTSO 2.12
S/N S/N AC-206
PRICE-ENGINE & PROP $18,000. YOU PAY SHIPPING.

THIS IS HOW THE ENGINE WAS DESCRIBED TO ME:

“…. purchased the engine and prop from Westair International Company, Monument, CO 80132 Jim Cullen is the owner. (719) 481-2286 He sold a number of these engines and was recommended to me by Murphy. They thought this was a perfect engine for their plane. I called a fellow who bought one from him to check up on his transaction. He was very pleased with Jim and the engine and prop. (His name is John Knutson, Chicago, (312) 642 0335 home (312) 383 1300 x 104 work) I believe he was putting it into his homebuilt. I haven't talked to him in ten years so I don't know if the numbers are still good. The engine arrived as promised and is complete with magnetos, harness, fuel pump, Bendix injection system, alternator and starter. It is preserved, and includes platinum spark plugs (not installed--the plug holes have the things in them that absorb moisture--I can't remember what they are called!) There are three tech manuals also. It is still in the shipping crate which has always been in my heated shop. I looked in it today and it looks good. The IO-540 G1D5 engine serial number is L-9927-48. It is rated as 290 HP, max rpm 2575. The Hartzell Propeller Model HC-92WK-1DW S/N AC-206 The engine has a total of 799.22 hours since new. It has 5.43 hours since overhaul. The propeller has a total of 731.12 with 2.12 since overhaul. There are two complete log books for the engine and one for the propeller.

My concern before buying was that they came out of an IAR 823 airplane which was a plane used by the Romanian Air Force! (I Googled it and it looks like a Mooney to me.) I checked with several engine building people (including the company that overhauled my Cessna engine) who told me the overhaul facility in Romania is noted for quality services. (BOAC had them do all their engine maintenance.) A fellow on the Murphy group, George Coy (who now sells M14P radials and was building a Moose--put this IO-540 in his plane. I asked him why not use one of his radials and he said he was going to put it on floats in Vermont and could not have any oil dripping into their pristine lakes. I guess coffee cans wired under the jugs does not meet environmental standards for catching 100% of the oil!

The log books are all in Romanian but I had someone go over them with me (they spoke Romanian) and they are very detailed and complete. I was going to sit down with this person and rewrite each entry but haven't yet. I got a new English engine log from Jim Cullen--I'm not sure it is really necessary to translate the old ones. I feel comfortable with the accuracy of the logs and the work that has been done. A mechanic where I get my Cessna serviced was interested in using the engine for his tow plane--checked out the engine and logs, said it looked good but then found his mounts or something were different and it wouldn't fit. He offered my $20,000 for it! (I should have paid for his new mounts!) Hope this is the info you needed--I think it is the right motor for the Murphy. I've watched a friend mess with a M14 radial in his Moose but his struggles with the cowl, oil leaks, air start, parts, mounts and extra fuel burn, etc. etc. convinced me a good old 290 HP Lycoming was what I felt most comfortable with.”

Michael Orth
Beaver Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Mosurf(at)xplornet.com
(250) 243-0013

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: