Slats or no? Willis and Suzuki ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
coenvanwyk(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Slats or no? Willis and Suzuki ... Reply with quote

I have been reading the discussion re slats and vg's with interest, as I am still far from that point. Present thinking is to build to plans, and later do some experimentation.

But I must take up the "Willis vs Suzuki' argument, with a dose of good humour!

I had a Suzuki, did some amazing off road thinks with it, put some Land Rovers to shame, and then got a Willis, albeit the 'modern 1964" CJ3B model. And there is just no comparison, unless you run on the road a lot! over the rocks in the mud, through the ditches, the Willis will be absolutely boring, it goes where you point it, while the Suzuki has to work really hard.

So it boils down to the mission, and as far as flying is concerned, I want to be as slow as I can when I get near the ground. Which is why I bought the CH701. Now, if the difference is as small as it seems to be from the data, the VG's must be considered. I will operate at hot and high, so I was wondering how the figures work out under those conditions?

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
ggower_99(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Slats or no? Willis and Suzuki ... Reply with quote

Hello Coen,

This is a video of my 701 STOL with slats, built as plans, flys as spected...

My landing strip (Aeroclub Chapala) is at 5,020 ft ASL, the temperature that day was normal (around 90ºF) and no wind.

Sincerely I will never get the slats off, I just love how it handles Cruise speed is around 93 mph, I cruise around 9,000 ft ASL normaly in XCountries and sometimes climb to 11,000 when I have to go over the Sierra Madre Mountains to the coast (Puerto Vallarta, for example).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_NHXdC7sFI

Just love the performance... I enjoy flying it as is... I just remember, When I need to land very short around here, I NEED the full performace of the airplane and engine. Is a moment to trust the Desinger (Thank you Chris Heintz).

This is another video of my 701, flown by another 701 builder Antonio Miranda... flying around Chapala Lake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMdP8OWOSa8

Safe Flying,

Gary Gower
701 912S (100 hp) around 400 hrs and counting.
Flying from Chapala Mexico.

--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: Coen van Wyk <coenvanwyk(at)gmail.com (coenvanwyk(at)gmail.com)>

I have been reading the discussion re slats and vg's with interest, as I am still far from that point. Present thinking is to build to plans, and later do some experimentation.

But I must take up the "Willis vs Suzuki' argument, with a dose of good humour!

I had a Suzuki, did some amazing off road thinks with it, put some Land Rovers to shame, and then got a Willis, albeit the 'modern 1964" CJ3B model. And there is just no comparison, unless you run on the road a lot! over the rocks in the mud, through the ditches, the Willis will be absolutely boring, it goes where you point it, while the Suzuki has to work really hard.

So it boils down to the mission, and as far as flying is concerned, I want to be as slow as I can when I get near the ground. Which is why I bought the CH701. Now, if the difference is as small as it seems to be from the data, the VG's must be considered. I will operate at hot and high, so I was wondering how the figures work out undeZenith701801-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zensp; p://forums.matronics.com/" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.comhttp://www.matronics.com/contribution==============

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours