RV-4 Center Radio Console

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List
pbesing(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: RV-4 Center Radio Console Reply with quote

I've seen many RV-4's that have a center radio console
below the instrument panel to save space. Is this
something in the plans, or is it purely a fab yourself
kind of mod?

Since panel space in a -4 is premium, I would think
that many have done this before.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Besing

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
larywil(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: RV-4 Center Radio Console Reply with quote

At 05:40 PM 1/13/2006, you wrote:
Quote:

I've seen many RV-4's that have a center radio console
below the instrument panel to save space. Is this
something in the plans, or is it purely a fab yourself
kind of mod?

Paul,

A center console is not in the plans. I have one in my purchased -4 and
live with it as best as possible. My panel was not well designed, and I
had no choice at all, except to add a center console when I installed a
radio and transponder. Today, with the EFIS systems available, I think
anyone could figure out a way to have everything above your knees. The
advantage is easy access to battery and the ability to move your legs
around a little bit. On the other hand, the tilt down tray in my -4 is
indispensable! I have heard of some -4 owner using the tilt down concept
to mount radio, transponder, and other instruments
-
Louis I Willig
1640 Oakwood Dr.
Penn Valley, PA 19072
610 668-4964
RV-4, N180PF
190HP IO-360, C/S prop

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
Robin Marks

Location: San Luis Obispo, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: RV-4 Center Radio Console Reply with quote

Paul,

http://www.painttheweb.com/rv-4/cockpit.htm

As a non-builder I added a center console to my -4 and it made for a
cleaner panel giving me a place for a Nav.com, transponder and GPS. I
also added two lower surfaces for four additional engine gauges. It was
a simple addition with little downside. IMHO.
Above is a link with detailed photos.

Robin
RV-4 Sold
RV-6A 250 hours

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

_________________
RV-4 Sold
RV-6A 0-360 - C/S Flying
flyby41(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: RV-4 Center Radio Console Reply with quote

I too have a purchased -4 with radio, txp, intercom between the knees. My
radio stack is quickly removable for battery service so that is not a big
problem but the thing I hate is having to look down between my knees at
something as often used as a radio or transponder. With steam gauges
filling the panel it was the only place for it. I would do everything I
could to avoid putting the radio there. I wouldn't put anything there that
has to be looked at or adjusted often. It's down too low to maintain your
peripheral vision with the horizon. Especially if you are wearing a brimmed
hat as is often needed when flying an RV type craft. Maybe it ain't a
problem for some.

Do Not Archive

Quote:
>I've seen many RV-4's that have a center radio console
>below the instrument panel to save space. Is this
>something in the plans, or is it purely a fab yourself
>kind of mod?

Paul,

A center console is not in the plans. I have one in my purchased -4 and
live with it as best as possible. My panel was not well designed, and I
had no choice at all, except to add a center console when I installed a
radio and transponder. Today, with the EFIS systems available, I think
anyone could figure out a way to have everything above your knees. The
advantage is easy access to battery and the ability to move your legs
around a little bit. On the other hand, the tilt down tray in my -4 is
indispensable! I have heard of some -4 owner using the tilt down concept
to mount radio, transponder, and other instruments
-
Louis I Willig
1640 Oakwood Dr.
Penn Valley, PA 19072
610 668-4964
RV-4, N180PF
190HP IO-360, C/S prop

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
pbesing(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: RV-4 Center Radio Console Reply with quote

Thanks, Robin. How did you mount your Garmin? Looks
like it's the detachable mount. Is it removable?

--- Robin Marks <robin(at)mrmoisture.com> wrote:

Quote:

<robin(at)mrmoisture.com>

Paul,

http://www.painttheweb.com/rv-4/cockpit.htm

As a non-builder I added a center console to my -4
and it made for a
cleaner panel giving me a place for a Nav.com,
transponder and GPS. I
also added two lower surfaces for four additional
engine gauges. It was
a simple addition with little downside. IMHO.
Above is a link with detailed photos.

Robin
RV-4 Sold
RV-6A 250 hours

browse
Subscriptions page,
FAQ,

Admin.

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
Robin Marks

Location: San Luis Obispo, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: RV-4 Center Radio Console Reply with quote

Easy, http://www.airgizmos.com/

Robin

--

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

_________________
RV-4 Sold
RV-6A 0-360 - C/S Flying
tomvelvick

Location: Peoria, AZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: RV-4 Center Radio Console Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

I removed the center console from Katies RV-4 and made a new subpanel below the main panel instead. Sure a lot happier with new setup. If you want the old center console, you can have it and you may be able modify it to work for you and save you some time. We relocated the battery to the firewall and are going to use the center console area as a storage space.

There is also a rv-4 center console for sale on ebay right now for $25 opening bid.

Regards,
Tom Velvick

pbesing(at)yahoo.com wrote:
I've seen many RV-4's that have a center radio console
below the instrument panel to save space. Is this
something in the plans, or is it purely a fab yourself
kind of mod?

Since panel space in a -4 is premium, I would think
that many have done this before.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Besing

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
pbesing(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: RV-4 Center Radio Console Reply with quote

Brilliant idea!

--- Robin Marks <robin(at)mrmoisture.com> wrote:

[quote]
<robin(at)mrmoisture.com>

Easy, http://www.airgizmos.com/

Robin

--

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
mikel(at)dimensional.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: RV-4 Center Radio Console Reply with quote

Suzie Q has a center console that I would not know what to do without.
It houses the com radio, transponder, intercom, fuel pressure and fuel
level gauges. It also holds the master radio switch and all radio
breakers. Above all that is my map pocket. It is canted up to face
towards the pilot. (Many I see are just straight up and down.) As you
sit in the front cockpit, the radio appears just below the lower edge of
the panel and the transponder just below that. I have the radio wired to
the stick grip so I can flip-flop channels and select the stand-by
channel without touching the radio. The transponder has an ident button
on the stick. One rarely looks at the intercom and fuel gauges are just
for reference anyway.

Too much looking down? No. One should limit their "looking down",
wherever that is, to about five seconds anyway, regardless what you are
doing.

This whole unit is held in place by three screws and four bolts and
takes about 10 minutes to remove and comes out as a complete unit; easy
for accessing the battery if needed. I have a charging receptacle for
charging the battery without removing it. (I know: you are suppose to
remove the battery before charging it. Just like you always do in your
car...)

I spent a lot of time on the design of my panels (using the PBC method:
poster board cut-outs) and, having flown behind them for many hours,
would not change a thing. I may put a Dynon in some day, but also have
the center of the main panel as a suspended removable sub-panel that I
can easily remove and modify if I find the need.

I can try to put pictures on photo share if I can figure out how that is
done if anyone wants to see it. Or forward them to an email address if
that works better.

Michael
RV-4 N232 Suzie Q
935 hours

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
pbesing(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: RV-4 Center Radio Console Reply with quote

The photos would be great, Mike if you have the
chance. I've got a preliminary design that requires
me to spend much more money to make it fit (new slim
radios, 2 dynons, etc).

Paul Besing

--- Kosta Lewis <mikel(at)dimensional.com> wrote:

Quote:

<mikel(at)dimensional.com>

[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours