912 cabin heater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
firestar503

Joined: 15 Apr 2012

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: 912 cabin heater Reply with quote

Kolbers,

Someone or maybe many of you must have pulled the hot water off a 912 and piped it into a small heater core for the cabin heat. I would appreciate it if you would describe the plumbing. Where did you pull the coolant out and where did you connect the return line. Pictures would be great. Did anyone have any problems with coolant circulating or engine temps after installing the heater cores?

Thanks guys.

Jon L
Minnesota

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: 912 cabin heater Reply with quote

jon

I have the 912 and the radiator is just behind and below the engine. just ahead of the inlet and outlet of the radiator, I installed 2 tees. pointed down. ran radiator hose from there down inside the rear cage area behind the fuel tank. there attached the radiator hose to a small heater core. mounted a computer cooling fan to the back of the core. the fan takes air from inside the cage area and recirculates the air inside, I have a 2 inch duct taking air to the nose cone up near my feet that run cold when flying in cooler weather. I did not want hot water running under my legs to the nose of the plane... and if I had a leak in the coolent lines it would be hard pressed to get to my person. I run the radiator and fan all the time.... in the summer I use it to eliminate excess heat from the engine.... and with the vents open, I personally never over heat,,, in the winter it helps take the edge off the cold temps. but it cant keep up when the temps are real cold. the only problem I had was a precieved one.... on the first day I used it I took of it was 20 and when I landed it was 10 deg F I thought it was not working,,, till I opened the door and the real cold air rushed in.. it was working,,, just not keeping up. in the winter I have to tape over a good part of the main radiator in order to keep the temps up. rotax says there is no minimum water temps for the 912 so they don’t make a thermostat for the engine. if I could find a good thermostat housing the engine would warm up quicker, but be one more thing to keep an eye on.

boyd young
mkiii

Someone or maybe many of you must have pulled the hot water off a 912 and piped it into a small heater core for the cabin heat. I would appreciate it if you would describe the plumbing. Where did you pull the coolant out and where did you connect the return line. Pictures would be great. Did anyone have any problems with coolant circulating or engine temps after installing the heater cores?

Thanks guys.

Jon L
Minnesota

[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
frank goodnight

Joined: 27 Dec 2011

From: byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:50:54 -0700

arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
http://forums.matronics.com
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours