Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jabiru 3300 Ideal Oil Temp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Jabiru-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aox1969(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Jabiru 3300 Ideal Oil Temp Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

This is my first winter with a Jabiru J-230 (with a Jabiru 3300 engine); and, I'd like your thoughts on the ideal Oil Temp, and the methods that you use to increase the Oil Temp.

My cruise (2800-2900 RPMs) Oil Temp was 140 F with an OAT of 30 F.

Since I was under the impression that the Oil Temp should be at least 180 F, to boil off the impurities; I covered the Oil Cooler Inlet to attempt to raise the Oil Temp.

With 1/3 of the Oil Cooler covered the Oil Temp increased to 152 F.

Next, I covered 2/3s of the Oil Cooler and that increased the Oil Temp to 163 F.

Then, I covered All of the Oil Cooler and that increased the Oil Temp to 174 F (it did get to 186 F in a 90 kt climb).

Please help me with your thoughts on this issue.

Thank you
OldNavy w/a Jab

- The Matronics Jabiru-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Jabiru-List
BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Jabiru 3300 Ideal Oil Temp Reply with quote

Tally Ho Old Navy - This is Old Air Force:

Yes, you are correct about the temps.  They should be around 180 F (170 to 200 F).  Those temps are for a reason: 
1 - It is what the oil manufacture recommends. 
If you fly a multi-grade oil say 15 W 50 at lower temps you will never see the 50 weight. so you are not getting the proper viscosity for ring sealing nor the proper pressure rating (EP).
2 - When at the temp range of 170 to 200 F what you are burning off is the moisture.  I would not call it contamination.  It is, but just a bit misleading.  When the moisture goes away so do the acid effects of the oil.  So, in a way you are correct - - - It is a contamination.  But, fits the question which came first, the chicken or the egg?  I got the answer to that too.

Blocking off the oil cooler is the first step in maintaining temps.  Other tricks are:
1 - Reduce the IN FLOW air
2 - Reduce the OUT FLOW air
3 - Change the flow pattern under the cowl.
Manufactures like Lycoming recommend a MAX CHT difference of 50 Degrees between all cylinders.
I don't quit till I see only 20 degrees difference.
I have installed two oil temp probes on a Lycoming engine. One at the rear of the engine on the accessory case and another at the front of the engine near the Prop Thrust Bearing.  Where do you think I saw the highest temps?  If you said at the Prop Thrust Bearing you are WRONG!  Yea, I would have put my money there also.  
Point being - Where are you reading your oil temp?  
Check 6
Barry
On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM, mdaniels <aox1969(at)earthlink.net (aox1969(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Jabiru-List message posted by: mdaniels <aox1969(at)earthlink.net (aox1969(at)earthlink.net)>

Gentlemen,

This is my first winter with a Jabiru J-230 (with a Jabiru 3300 engine); and, I'd like your thoughts on the ideal Oil Temp, and the methods that you use to increase the Oil Temp.

My cruise (2800-2900 RPMs) Oil Temp was 140 F with an OAT of 30 F.

Since I was under the impression that the Oil Temp should be at least 180 F, to boil off the impurities; I covered the Oil Cooler Inlet to attempt to raise the Oil Temp.

With 1/3 of the Oil Cooler covered the Oil Temp increased to 152 F.

Next, I covered 2/3s of the Oil Cooler and that increased the Oil Temp to 163 F.

Then, I covered All of the Oil Cooler and that increased the Oil Temp to 174 F (it did get to 186 F in a 90 kt climb).

Please help me with your thoughts on this issue.

Thank you
OldNavy w/a Jab
[b]

- The Matronics Jabiru-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Jabiru-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Jabiru-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: