Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

batteries and electrical

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malpass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: batteries and electrical Reply with quote

For years now I have been starting my rotax 582 with a typical lawn mower type battery which is about 3 1/2" x 6" x 6" high, and I get about a year and half to 2 years out of them. They are cheap ($35) but dont last long. Just recently I sent my 582 off to be zero timed. Engine runs good and has kick-ass compression. So good of compression that the battery now has a little problem initially turning over the engine, but it does though, but delays somewhat every start. These mower batteries are in the range of about 175 cold crank amps, (I think). So I just bought a new wet cell battery which is advertised as a multipurpose type recreational battery used for motorcycles, jet skis, lawn mowers, ATV's etc. I looked up the charateristics and it has 275 cold crank amps. Now my question is: is there some amp limit for the rotax starter, wiring , solenoid, with battery power that I should be concerned about? I have hesitated in trying to crank it up yet as I got concerned after the fact. I want to get my comfort level up a bit, as I dont want to mess up a starter.

Thanks for any help with my 582 on a kitfox III turning a Ivo prop, with fiberglass fuel tanks, and yes, I run av-gas with no corn!

Bill Malpass

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: batteries and electrical Reply with quote

If you starter is in good shape it will only draw as much as is needed.

582 does not like extended periods of AVGAS due to lead content
use premium car gas if you worried about ethanol

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Most viewed Kitfox on youtube
Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
Vic Baker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: batteries and electrical Reply with quote

Where can we buy ethanol free premium fuel?
---

uuccio(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: batteries and electrical Reply with quote

Hi Bill

Ohms law says

I (amps) = V (volts) / R (ohms),

where V is the voltage applied to the circuit and R is the total resistance of the circuit, I.e. the resistance of the appliance (in this case the starter motor) plus the internal resistance of the battery plus the resistance offered by the wires through which the current flows.

A higher CCA battery is a battery with a smaller internal resistance (you can see this again from Ohms law) so in theory the R above would be slightly lower and slightly more current would flow through the appliance. But keep in mind that the battery resistance is typically measured in thousandths of Ohms whereas the resistance of the appliance (plus that of the wires) is typically thousands of times larger (think of, say, a 140W appliance drawing 10A at 14V....the resistance it presents is therefore 1.4 Ohms again in virtue of Ohms law) so the increase in the current in the circuit is going to be negligible.

All this to say that the only way you can get (significantly) more current flowing through your starter is by increasing the voltage of the battery, not its capacity, so crank away!

Sacha

On 08/dic/2012, at 19:32, "malpass" <malpass-architect(at)att.net> wrote:

Quote:

For years now I have been starting my rotax 582 with a typical lawn mower type battery which is about 3 1/2" x 6" x 6" high, and I get about a year and half to 2 years out of them. They are cheap ($35) but dont last long. Just recently I sent my 582 off to be zero timed. Engine runs good and has kick-ass compression. So good of compression that the battery now has a little problem initially turning over the engine, but it does though, but delays somewhat every start. These mower batteries are in the range of about 175 cold crank amps, (I think). So I just bought a new wet cell battery which is advertised as a multipurpose type recreational battery used for motorcycles, jet skis, lawn mowers, ATV's etc. I looked up the charateristics and it has 275 cold crank amps. Now my question is: is there some amp limit for the rotax starter, wiring , solenoid, with battery power that I should be concerned about? I have hesitated in trying to crank it up yet as I got concerned !
after the fact. I want to get my comfort level up a bit, as I dont want to mess up a starter.

Thanks for any help with my 582 on a kitfox III turning a Ivo prop, with fiberglass fuel tanks, and yes, I run av-gas with no corn!

Bill Malpass

--------
kitfox III w/ 582 greyhead

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=390062#390062

dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: batteries and electrical Reply with quote

anywhere in Ontario Canada where i live.

If you follow my you tube channel you can see the testing i did on rotax
engines and ethanol gas.

I have used both and no problems with fuel tanks falling apart.

I wil say if you use 10% ethanol that you will get about 10% less milage.
I use only premium for everything- no confusion that way.
cosdt is about 10% higher but I go further
cost effective? nope but you do use less fuel

as far as octane required we onlyf need regualr gas in our Rotax 582,912UL
912s needs higher octane due to higher compression.

---

Most viewed Kitfox on youtube
Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
malpass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: batteries and electrical Reply with quote

Dave, are you finding premium gas with no ethanol?

Be great to know, as I would sure you the mo-gas then.

Thanks for the help.
---

henrysfork1(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: batteries and electrical Reply with quote

Our local Exon carries premium that is ethinol free

Dee Y
KFII N345DY
KFM 62hp

Sent from Samsung tablet

Bill Malpass <malpass-architect(at)att.net> wrote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Bill Malpass" <malpass-architect(at)att.net>

Dave, are you finding premium gas with no ethanol?

Be great to know, as I would sure you the mo-gas then.

Thanks for the help.

---

Kitfox_Sed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: batteries and electrical Reply with quote

The site: http://www.pure-gas.org shows a station not too far from Carson City that sells Ethanol free gas:

Chevron Station 204464 - CHEVRON
1357 U.S. 395, Gardnerville NV
Ethanol-free octane ratings: 87 89 91
GPS coordinates: N 38.93735 W 119.74103

-- Paul S

jconnell(at)fmwildblue.co

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: batteries and electrical Reply with quote

Good question Bill.

I’ve been using ATV batteries from a farm and home store in Rochester, MN. Mine is a “Magna Power 12N12A-4A-1FP” model. It’s 5.6 x. 6 x 3 in size. It’s rated at 113 CCA – rather low.
I usually fly with them for 2 years then replace them. I use a small trickle charger during the flying season. I give the 582 (gray) a couple of shots from the primer, then hand-spin the prop a couple of turns (but not really necessary) before starting it.

I’ve used auto fuel exclusively. There are 2 locations in Rochester each with a pump of high octane non-ethanol. It’s for chain saws lawn movers, old outboards, old muscle cars and such. I always test for the presence of ethanol.

Joe Connell
Kitfox II w/ 582 greyhead N65JK

Time: 10:33:16 AM PST US
Subject: batteries and electrical
From: "malpass" <malpass-architect(at)att.net (malpass-architect(at)att.net)>
For years now I have been starting my rotax 582 with a typical lawn mower type
battery which is about 3 1/2" x 6" x 6" high, and I get about a year and half
to 2 years out of them. They are cheap ($35) but dont last long. Just recently
I sent my 582 off to be zero timed. Engine runs good and has kick-ass compression.
So good of compression that the battery now has a little problem initially
turning over the engine, but it does though, but delays somewhat every
start. These mower batteries are in the range of about 175 cold crank amps, (I
think). So I just bought a new wet cell battery which is advertised as a multipurpose
type recreational battery used for motorcycles, jet skis, lawn mowers,
ATV's etc. I looked up the charateristics and it has 275 cold crank amps.
Now my question is: is there some amp limit for the rotax starter, wiring ,
solenoid, with battery power that I should be concerned about? I have hesitated
in trying to crank it up yet as I got concerned after the fact. I want to
get my comfort level up a bit, as I dont want to mess up a starter.

Thanks for any help with my 582 on a kitfox III turning a Ivo prop, with fiberglass
fuel tanks, and yes, I run av-gas with no corn!

Bill Malpass

--------
kitfox III w/ 582 greyhead
[quote][b]

mikeperkins

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: batteries and electrical Reply with quote

Bill,

If with the new battery you're still getting some cranking hesitation, two things: while cranking, look for a more than a half-volt drop between the battery and the starter (using clip leads and a voltmeter); and see if a Battery Minder charger does a better job of keeping the battery in good condition.

The difference between a large battery and a small one is internal resistance, so a thicker cable with less resistance can be the same as replacing a smaller battery with a larger one. Increasing cable gauge sometimes is less weight than a larger battery; #4 gauge is a good choice for a 582. Also, shortening the cable by six inches can be effective. Also, the sum of little voltage drops across poor crimps, loose connections, and long/thin cables can add up to be more than the starter can tolerate during engine cranking.

Batteries used infrequently have a short life; a Battery Minder will improve longevity. A larger battery won't necessarily take longer to charge, but if the smaller battery were not being fully-charged during flight, then the larger battery won't be, either. So charging between flights is a good idea for that reason, and a Battery Minder will do that. Also, a Battery Minder (as opposed to a simple trickle charger) prevents sulfation, which shortens battery life when they are infrequently used.

Hope this helps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: