It Finally Happened to ME!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List
andynfultz(at)bellsouth.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: It Finally Happened to ME! Reply with quote

[quote] NOT excited to report a catastrophic engine failure on take off. This past Saturday I was departing my home field from rwy 36 and at about 450 AGL my engine started to vibrate violently and then the prop came to an abrupt halt just after I pushed the nose over and pulled the power (MAYBE two seconds from first indication of a problem till the prop stopped). I felt that I had enough altitude to execute a 180 (more like a quick wing-over) and landed safely on 18. Lots of ground up metal in the oil pan ,but no blood or anything in cockpit. My guardian angel was riding with me. Really got my attention. This was the first flight after a Thursday, 1.3 hr Xcountry at night. The engine was a Stratus EA-81 and there were no warning signs that I was aware of. The engine was running fine, with all temps and oil pressure normal, then it wasn't running at all.

I have removed the engine from the airframe and pulled the oil pan which is holding a double handful of ground up metal bits and there's a hole in the top of the case. Also found about a half of a handful of bits in the muffler. Not sure at this time what caused it to come apart, but I'll continue to try to find out what happened. May never know for sure as many pieces as it seems to be in. Yall be careful and know what you and you bird are capable of.

Andy F.
AVID C/Mark IV Extended Speedwing
[b]

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
andynfultz(at)bellsouth.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: It Finally Happened to ME! Reply with quote

In my haste to hit the send button I failed to tell you guys that the engine is a STRAUTS EA-81 with 287 hours on it.

Andy F.

[quote] --

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
d3dw(at)sbcglobal.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: It Finally Happened to ME! Reply with quote

Sure sorry to hear about the engine, Andy, but so pleased you are okay. Several of us had valve guides chewed up a number of years ago, but nothing like "two handfuls of bits". Are you using EGTs. Sometimes egt can be very high on takeoff, though the heads do not show it yet on a cold day. don

In my haste to hit the send button I failed to tell you guys that the engine is a STRAUTS EA-81 with 287 hours on it.

Andy F.

[quote] --

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
andynfultz(at)bellsouth.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: It Finally Happened to ME! Reply with quote

No Don. No EGT's. Water temp, oil temp, oil pressure and volt meter is all I've got for engine instrumentation.

Andy F.
[quote] --

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
larrycmcfarland(at)gmail.
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: It Finally Happened to ME! Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
Sorry to hear of your engine problems, but it would be very useful to other Subaru users to know if you had the valve guides redone, or were they dependent upon just circlips to secure the valve guides.
Ron at Ram Performance redid my valve guides and I’ve not heard of anyone with his modification having trouble. Lots of failures with just circlips though. Check your pistons to determine if the tops
were broken or fractured markedly. This is a most likely scenario for that engine.
If you return to using the Subaru, I’d recommend you get the valve guide work done, before flying it and add EGTs for each side. It’s a good barometer of your engine performance.

Larry McFarland 601HDS Stratus EA81
flying a Piper Cherokee now.

--

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
andynfultz(at)bellsouth.n
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: It Finally Happened to ME! Reply with quote

Hey Larry,

It was just a stock STRATUS conversion. I knew of a few instances of valve guide problems, but did not realize that there were so many till mine failed and I started really looking. I spoke with Ron Carr today and was very impressed with what he had to say. I am headed to the airport now to take the head off and have a look inside, but from what I could see with a scope looking through the spark plug hole, there's not enough of the piston left tell what happened. Is your RAM modified engine still in use? How many hours?

Andy F.
[quote] --

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
tshankland(at)sbcglobal.n
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: It Finally Happened to ME! Reply with quote

I have a question for Stratus users, what is your water temperature. I am concerned that several people have had one or more instances of valve guide failure while most do not. I too have a Stratus EA81 with over 200 hours on it and my water runs at 190 degrees F, on long summer climb outs it can get to 200 degrees. I did not like the cooling system design supplied by Zenith and spent a year designing my own. Since this failure is not endemic in cars my question is are many running at higher water temperature contributiong to this problem.

Tim Shankland
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
d3dw(at)sbcglobal.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: It Finally Happened to ME! Reply with quote

Tim, my temps are running close to what yours are, and sometimes up to about 210. I have my egt limit set at 1450, and I usually run around 1350 to 1380 in cruise on egt. However, I feel very confident in the heads Ram built for me, with the new guides, larger ss valves, etc. What mods did you make to your cooling?
I used to take off with full power, but have decided that is just a waste and unnecessary unless on a very short strip...so I am more gentle now. My guide failures were on cold days taking off at full power. It seems to me the temp differential between the steel and aluminum was a problem. but that is no problem with the Ram valve job. don