Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List
fastpilotrv8

Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Location: Chicago Area

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a Reply with quote

I on my 2002 RV8a has had the landing gear shimmy has gotten much worse in the last 6 flights . I am running 45 lbs air , no flats spots . The mains are really shaking a lot. anyone with Ideas please watch the video on You Tube and please give me your Ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrcTKt3zBc

my email is fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Painless

Location: Peshtigo, Wisconsin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a Reply with quote

How often are you needing to replace the tires? What type/ manufacturer of tires are you using now?

I had a similar, but not as severe shimmy in one main gear leg on my 6A. Replacing the worn original kit tires with a set of Monster retreads from Desser Tires solved the problem completely. I was amazed at the difference.

Jeff Orear
RV6A. N783P
Peshtigo, WI

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 5, 2012, at 5:07 PM, "fastpilotrv8" <fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com> wrote:

Quote:

I on my 2002 RV8a has had the landing gear shimmy has gotten much worse in the last 6 flights . I am running 45 lbs air , no flats spots . The mains are really shaking a lot. anyone with Ideas please watch the video on You Tube and please give me your Ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrcTKt3zBc

my email is fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

_________________
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Peshtigo, WI
bob194bn(at)verizon.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a Reply with quote

What is the tire wear like on mains ?
Just a thought looks like might have toe out .tire pulls and then snaps back .
Was it at all possible that mains might not of been indexed for positive track when plane was built/left right.

Bob Watson
N194BN 9-A

From: "fastpilotrv8" <fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com (fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com)>
I on my 2002 RV8a has had the landing gear shimmy has gotten much worse in the
last 6 flights . I am running 45 lbs air , no flats spots . The mains are really
shaking a lot. anyone with Ideas please watch the video on You Tube and
please give me your Ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrcTKt3zBc

my email is fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com (fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com)
[b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
Hopperdhh(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a Reply with quote

Hi ??,

The nose wheel looks to have low tire pressure but does not shake.  Could it be the mains have too much pressure? I run about 38 to start with in my RV7A (200 HP) mains. By the time I add air they're usually down to about 32. I've been told they shake a lot though.

What changed in the last 6 flights? Do the wheels turn free, or are the bearings too loose? Maybe clean up the bearings and look for signs of corrosion, etc. Could it be that it has always done this and you just became aware of it? Look at the brakes,too. Could they be getting into the act somehow?

Back to the nose wheel. I have the AntiSplat gear leg brace, and now run 50 PSI in the nose tire. Only have a few hours since putting it on. So far, so good!

Just some ideas.

Dan Hopper
N766DH

In a message dated 11/5/2012 6:08:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
--> RV-List message posted by: "fastpilotrv8" <fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com>

I on my 2002 RV8a has had the landing gear shimmy has gotten much worse in the last 6 flights . I am running 45 lbs air , no flats spots . The mains are really shaking a lot. anyone with Ideas please watch the video on You Tube and please give me your Ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrcTKt3zBc

my email is  fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
mr.sun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a Reply with quote

My thought when I saw your video was that something is loose.   Did you jack it up and really wiggle everything good?  I run 35-37 psI and have a small amount of shimmy sometimes when increasing taxi speed.  If I touch the brakes, it goes away and all is well.
I found that lower pressure helps my landings, eliminates shimmy but rubs on the wheel pants on touchdown.  Rubbing on the sidewalls of my expensive Michelin tires bothered me.

How do you attach your camera to the wing?   I see the suction cups for the GoPro camera but just don't trust that.  Do you back out a few screws from the wing and screw down a mounting plate?

Greg

do not archive

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Charles Brame <chasb(at)satx.rr.com (chasb(at)satx.rr.com)> wrote:
[...]

Time: 03:08:03 PM PST US
From: "fastpilotrv8" <fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com (fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com)>
I on my 2002 RV8a has had the landing gear shimmy has gotten much worse in the
last 6 flights .  I am running 45 lbs air , no flats spots .  The mains are really
shaking a lot.  anyone with Ideas please watch the video on You Tube and
please give me your Ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrcTKt3zBc

my email is    fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com (fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com)

_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
t="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
tp://forums.matronics.com

[b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

_________________
Greg RV-7
chaskuss(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a Reply with quote

Robin,
Is there a way to visually determine if you have the 9A legs? How do they differ from the 8A units?
Charlie

--> RV-List message posted by: Robin Marks <[url=/mc/compose?to=robin(at)painttheweb.com]robin(at)painttheweb.com[/url]>

--

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a Reply with quote

I don’t know if you can tell visually but they will be a touch "toe in" and when rolling the plane in reverse they will splay a bit and then skip. It seemed to roll forward more normally then it would when pushed in reverse. The alignment was not immediately obvious (just a few degrees) but the reverse push test made the misalignment obvious.
Good luck,
[...]

dcw(at)mnwing.org
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a Reply with quote

I'd try two things. Bring the tire pressure down to about 30 psi. If
that doesn't work I'd change the brand of tires. I had similar issues
with my first RV-4 and this process worked.

Doug Weiler
RV-4 finished and flying
RV-7 finished and flying

On 11/5/2012 5:07 PM, fastpilotrv8 wrote:
Quote:

I on my 2002 RV8a has had the landing gear shimmy has gotten much worse in the last 6 flights . I am running 45 lbs air , no flats spots . The mains are really shaking a lot. anyone with Ideas please watch the video on You Tube and please give me your Ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrcTKt3zBc

my email is fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
ianxbrown

Joined: 16 May 2009

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8A Reply with quote

Looking at your video, that very slight hesitation at the beginning, I'd say
your bearings are too tight. Compare with the nose wheel video at
http://www.eaa538.org/images/nosegear.wmv
Ian Brown

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a Reply with quote

Greg, as far as mounting camera I use the suction mount plus safety wire to screws with a sandwich of washers to protect paint. So far suction has held well.

Robin

Sent from the new iPad

From: "fastpilotrv8" <fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com (fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com)>

I on my 2002 RV8a has had the landing gear shimmy has gotten much worse in the
last 6 flights . I am running 45 lbs air , no flats spots . The mains are really
shaking a lot. anyone with Ideas please watch the video on You Tube and
please give me your Ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrcTKt3zBc

my email is fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com (fastpilotrv8(at)aol.com)

_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
t="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
tp://forums.matronics.com

ectric.com
">www.buildersbooks.com
builthelp.com
.matronics.com/contribution
//www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
ics.com

[b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
ianxbrown

Joined: 16 May 2009

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a Reply with quote

I'm interested whether you fixed your shimmy or not. I'd suggested tight wheel bearings. All other suggestions are really excluded by your case history. Got worse without changing gear legs, tire pressures or without having flat spots, etc.

The conical bearings have a capability of tightening up, or not turning freely. Did this start after a re-lube of the bearings? The wheels really have to turn freely. One other thought on the mains, brake pads binding?

I'm a believer in AntiSplat Aero's wheel bearing mod, and perhaps their balancing.

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
sarg314(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a Reply with quote

On my 6A, reducing the nose wheel tire pressure helped a lot.
--
Tom Sargent

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
Hopperdhh(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Landing Gear Shimmy on RV8a Reply with quote

Something definitely needs to be done to improve the nose wheel axle arrangement on the RVs.

I made a spacer so that I could tighten the axle bolt without causing the bearings to feel the added pressure. It takes a few tries to get it just right, but when you do the wheel should turn as free as with ball bearings. The spacer makes the system much more stable.

I made my spacer out of steel about 3/4 inch diameter. With the wheel off the plane you can measure between the outsides of the aluminum adapter hubs and then subtract their combined thickness for a first try at the spacer length. Start a few thousandths of an inch too long and the wheel bearings will be too loose. Face off a couple of thousandths and try again until its just right -- just a little or no play.

There is nothing wrong with the AntiSplat ball bearing mod if you want to spend the money. I'm poor!

Dan Hopper
RV-7A 766DH Flying since 2004 -- only nosed it over once! That (and seeing the result of a couple of other accidents) made me a believer in the anti-splat gear leg brace. Great invention! Be sure to watch the videos on their web site.

In a message dated 6/5/2013 10:21:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ixb(at)videotron.ca writes:
Quote:
--> RV-List message posted by: "ianxbrown" <ixb(at)videotron.ca>

I'm interested whether you fixed your shimmy or not. I'd suggested tight wheel bearings. All other suggestions are really excluded by your case history. Got worse without changing gear legs, tire pressures or without having flat spots, etc.

The conical bearings have a capability of tightening up, or not turning freely. Did this start after a re-lube of the bearings? The wheels really have to turn freely. One other thought on the mains, brake pads binding?

I'm a believer in AntiSplat Aero's wheel bearing mod, and perhaps their balancing.

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours