Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ignition troubles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpkarnes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Ignition troubles Reply with quote

Hi all,

After completing the dual ignition installation per the Paul Messinger plan, I am failing to obtain a spark. I have 12V to both the coil and the TP45 module. I switched the wires to the second module and still have no luck. I also tried a different coil with no luck. Any suggestions?

John K.
Suquamish, WA
601HDS with Stratus Subaru/Ram heads
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
larrycmcfarland(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Ignition troubles Reply with quote

Hi John,
You might look at my schematic and see if it helps.  This system derived of the Paul Messinger plan also worked.
Perhaps there’s a slight difference in your wiring. See link,
http://www.macsmachine.com/images/electrical/full/Ignition-Dual-Dizzy-and-TP4.gif

Larry McFarland

From: owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jpkarnes(at)comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:10 PM
To: stratus-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Ignition troubles

Hi all,

After completing the dual ignition installation per the Paul Messinger plan, I am failing to obtain a spark. I have 12V to both the coil and the TP45 module. I switched the wires to the second module and still have no luck. I also tried a different coil with no luck. Any suggestions?

John K.
Suquamish, WA

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jpkarnes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Ignition troubles Reply with quote

A follow-up of an earlier e-mail about ignition problems: I adjusted my air gap per the recommendation in the following e-mail and sure enough I HAD SPARK! Wiring must be correct as I have verified spark all the way to the spark plug. Thanks everybody for all your help!

John K.
Bremerton, WA
601HDS with Stratus/Ram EA-81

I had the same problem after converting my ignitions. I found that the GM modules needed a higher voltage to fire and this was not happening at cranking speed. I closed up the air gap to .010 on the pickups and all is well. Only negative to doing this is I need to watch for interference between the pickup and reluctor as the upper shaft bushing wears. I had a failure of this bushing previously due to lack of lubrication. I disassembled numerous distributors and found the lower bushing like new and the upper bushings showing various degrees of wear. I consider this a design flaw from Subaru and I don't have a solution aside from timely inspections. If you want more information on this ignition, I have a link (somewhere) to a great technical paper. This is how I found the low voltage problem. You need something around .4 to .5 volt to fire the coil. Unfortunately the pickup is an analog device and the voltage rises with cranking speed. It is NOT a hall effect device as some others have stated. A hall effect pickup generates a digital (square wave) output with a constant voltage regardless of distributor speed.

Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:38:31 PM
Subject: RE: Ignition troubles

Hi John,
You might look at my schematic and see if it helps. This system derived of the Paul Messinger plan also worked.
Perhaps there’s a slight difference in your wiring. See link,
http://www.macsmachine.com/images/electrical/full/Ignition-Dual-Dizzy-and-TP4.gif

Larry McFarland

From: owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jpkarnes(at)comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:10 PM
Subject: Ignition troubles

Hi all,

John K.
Suquamish, WA

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: