Matco nose wheel tire and tube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
larkrv10(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

Hey Kelley McMullen

I believe that you had a definite opinion on the Matco nose wheel verse the Beringer.  Do you know what Dresser tire and tube combination the Matco wheel needs?

Regards,

Rick
#40956
Southampton, Ont
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

I got what Tim Olsen recommended on his web site.
"The PROPER Wheel is the NW511.25. Yes, that is right...they sell you
the WRONG wheel, on purpose, to save them headaches. You can just order
the WHLNW511.25 from Matco and skip the other one in your kit...and buy
the Matco Axle at the same time, because the standard Van's axle is
going to cause you headaches in the long run too. Then, skip the tube
that comes with the kit too....get your tubes for all tires from Desser
Tire. What you want for the front is the 500-5 "Leakguard" Butyl Tube
with the TR-67 Valve
<http://www.desser.com/store/products/500%252d5-%22LEAKGUARD%22-BUTYL-TUBE--%28TR%252d67-VALVE%29.html>.
So with your new nosewheel, new leakguard tube, and new axle, your
nosewheel will be complete and give you hundreds of hours of trouble
free service.

Now for the mains... Personally, especially after switching to the
Desser Leakguard tube for the mains (15/600-6 size), I haven't had
interference issues on the mains. However, I've heard from a couple
builders who have...the valve cap comes dangerously close to the cotter
pin on the nut used to hold the wheel on. Although I've only used the
Van's tube, and the Desser Leakguard tubes, I think the clearance was
better with the Leakguards. But, there is a better way. What you want
is the Desser 15/600-6 "Leakguard" Butyl Tube with the "New Easy Valve"
<http://www.desser.com/store/products/15%7B47%7D600%252d6-%22LEAKGUARD%22-BUTYL-TUBE-%28NEW-EASY-FLATE-VALVE%29.html>.
Once you switch to the Leakguards, you'll be adding air far less often,
and the "New Easy Valve" will eliminate any possibility of interference
issues for you. So skip the tubes on your kit order also. Personally,
I've also found that the Desser 15/600-6 "High Performance Retreads"
<http://www.desser.com/store/products/15%7B47%7D600%252d6-6-PLY-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-RETREAD-AIRCRAFT-TIRE.html>
gave better tire life at a low cost, too, so if it were me building
again, I'd skip ordering ALL the tires and tubes from Van's, and just
order all of them from Desser. The nose tire is the "500-5 6-Ply Aero
Classic Vintage"
<http://www.desser.com/store/products/500%252d5-6-PLY-AERO-CLASSIC-VINTAGE-AIRCRAFT-TIRE.html>
tire. Then you'll get all 3 tubes, and 3 tires, from Desser
<http://www.desser.com>, and the nose axle and wheel from Matco
<http://www.matcomfg.com/>. The only thing to get from Van's is the
Cleveland main wheels themselves."
So credit Tim with doing the research. The only thing I did different is
to get both main and nose tires as retreads.
On 9/4/2012 8:35 PM, Rick Lark wrote:
Quote:
Hey Kelley McMullen
I believe that you had a definite opinion on the Matco nose wheel
verse the Beringer. Do you know what Dresser tire and tube
combination the Matco wheel needs?
Regards,
Rick
#40956
Southampton, Ont
*
*

-----
No virus found in this message.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
rv10flyer(at)verizon.net
Guest

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Kelly McMullen

Joined: 16 Apr 2008
Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

Yeah, I mis-read the question. Vans supplies the correct tire, wrong tube, if you buy from them. Along with the wrong wheel.  Follow Tim's recommendations, get the wheel and axle from Matco, tires and tubes from Desser. While I haven't done the wheel pants yet, mine is sitting on the wheels and tires, and Tim's recommendations on tubes are right on to avoid issues with valve stems.

[quote] same as the stock tire!

I believe that you had a definite opinion on the Matco nose wheel verse the Beringer.  Do you know what Dresser tire and tube combination the Matco wheel needs?

Regards,

Rick
#40956
Southampton, Ont

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c

Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor
KCHD
jrlark

Joined: 03 Jul 2009

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

Kelly excellent summary!
You have made my last couple of decisions required for the finish kit much
easier.

Thx for all your help.

Rick
Do not archive
---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rv10flyer

Joined: 25 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

I originally ordered Van's wheels, tires, tubes. Here is what I found out after going through it all and now flying for 76.9 hrs.

The Leak stop tubes from Van's hold air just fine. Aired up once in 9 months.

Van's main tube stems clear just fine. I ordered the new improved main tubes from Desser and they will clear even better once installed.

Van's nose tube valve stem is supposed to exit in center of wheel at splitline. The orig wheel had one half notched out for valve stem. I ordered the "recommended" part# which had the other half notched. Yes, it provided more nose fork-stem clearance but the rigid valve stem needed to exit in the center at splitline. So, my recommendation is to just modify the orig Van's wheel half to provide stem clearance and save your money and Matco's time.

Van's tires are 1/4"-3/8" out of round. Don't even attempt to static balance an out of round tire. If you have had vibrations in a car after the tire shop said they balanced your tires then that was probably the reason. Your aircraft tires rotate twice the rpm and with 3/8" run out is part of the reason some of us have gear vibration problems. When I am heavy, I have much reduced or no resonance.

So, I would recommend not purchasing Van's supplied main tires or main tubes. Also purchase Matco Axle.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Wayne G.
Ed Godfrey

Joined: 05 May 2009

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

Rick,
Thanks for the reply. I see that Kelly replied to you and that was great information. I have my finishing kit and am working on the doors & cabin top. It is all of the fun that they say it is.

Ed
40717

On 9/4/2012 10:35 PM, Rick Lark wrote:

[quote] Hey Kelley McMullen

I believe that you had a definite opinion on the Matco nose wheel verse the Beringer. Do you know what Dresser tire and tube combination the Matco wheel needs?

Regards,

Rick
#40956
Southampton, Ont
Quote:

[b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

If you make the choices before ordering, there is no difference in cost.
Matco charges the same for both what Van's sells and the correct Matco
wheel for the tire size. The wheel Van's supplies is intended for a
different size tire. The Matco axle gets rid of the issue of having nose
axle torque being critical and potential for axle/spacers galling the
nose fork.
Valve stem clearance is just an extra bonus.

On 9/5/2012 5:02 AM, rv10flyer wrote:
[...]

--------
Wayne Gillispie

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
rv10flyer

Joined: 25 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

I had Van's supplied nose wheel and the one many recommended on here and vaf. The only difference was which half had the machined slot for the brass valve stem. The valve stem on the tube exits from the centerline, not off to the side. Either wheel part# needs to be modified. If you order from Matco, I would think they will charge shipping. So, the reason I recommend modifying the one that comes in the kit.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Wayne G.
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

Well it has been some time since I mounted my nose wheel, tube and tire,
but no modification at all was needed(but my memory isn't what it used
to be). I vaguely recall I had to do a couple looksees to figure out how
the tube stem needed to be inserted. I did get both the recommended
Matco wheel and the tube Tim recommended. Went together just as
designed, and is holding air just fine 7-8 months later.
Kelly

On 9/5/2012 8:05 AM, rv10flyer wrote:
Quote:

I had Van's supplied nose wheel and the one many recommended on here and vaf. The only difference was which half had the machined slot for the brass valve stem. The valve stem on the tube exits from the centerline, not off to the side. Either wheel part# needs to be modified. If you order from Matco, I would think they will charge shipping. So, the reason I recommend modifying the one that comes in the kit.

--------
Wayne Gillispie

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
larkrv10(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

Right on Wayne, Les Kearny also recommended doing that.  I saved his reply and will re-think/re-look at my decision.

Regards,  Rick
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM, rv10flyer <wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com (wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: "rv10flyer" <wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com (wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com)>

I had Van's supplied nose wheel and the one many recommended on here and vaf. The only difference was which half had the machined slot for the brass valve stem. The valve stem on the tube exits from the centerline, not off to the side. Either wheel part# needs to be modified. If you order from Matco, I would think they will charge shipping. So, the reason I recommend modifying the one that comes in the kit.

--------
Wayne Gillispie

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
larkrv10(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

Thx Wayne I appreciate your opinion.  Nothing better than first hand experience.

Rick
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 8:02 AM, rv10flyer <wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com (wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[...]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

You do need the Matco axle. The Van's axle has shown problems that cause nose fork wear. If you are ordering from them anyway, why not get the right wheel, that needs NO modification and costs the same as what Van's supplies:?

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Rick Lark <larkrv10(at)gmail.com (larkrv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[...]

bill.peyton

Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

Rick,
The Matco Axle allows you to properly set the bearing pre-load and to keep the bearings from spinning against the axle. With the Matco axle you adjust the bearing tension independently of the axle bolt. I believe someone else also has a solution out there which replaces the spacers that Vans supplies with ones that will properly contact the inside race of the wheel bearing to allow pre-load of the bearing. The reports have been that using all the stock Vans supplied parts will eventually allow the bearing to spin around the axle and wear out the axle and the spacers.

I also used larger washers to hold the wheel pant bracket to the axle.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Bill
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

Yes, that's an important point, you do need the Matco axle no matter what.

To say it another way and reinforce Wayne's experience, I have the Matco
axle but all the wheels and tires are stock from Vans. After 1 year of
flying, it all works fine. No interference of stems or anything (but
things are close). They hold air better than whatever I had on my
Maule. So IF you already have the stock wheels and tires, it works
fine, but the Matco axle fixes a problem that seems to be unavoidable
otherwise.

Bill

On 9/6/2012 12:28 AM, Kelly McMullen wrote:
Quote:
You do need the Matco axle. The Van's axle has shown problems that
cause nose fork wear. If you are ordering from them anyway, why not
get the right wheel, that needs NO modification and costs the same as
Release Date: 09/05/12

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Matco nose wheel tire and tube Reply with quote

My RV-10 was strictly stock at first. The stem was close on the
front wheel to fork.
Then my forks got wrecked with the original axle spacers.
Then I got the Matco Axle and it was still good...no stem
clearance issue although it was still close.
My mains were OK too...no big problems.
Then I got a new nose tire and tube. NOW I had a stem
clearance issue. THEN I ordered the new Matco wheel and new
tube. NOW I have no clearance issue.

So, while all may be well with stock, over time as you change
tubes you may run into other issues until you finally get
the combination that has no issues.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive
On 9/6/2012 12:08 PM, Bill Watson wrote:
Quote:

Yes, that's an important point, you do need the Matco axle no matter what.

To say it another way and reinforce Wayne's experience, I have the Matco
axle but all the wheels and tires are stock from Vans. After 1 year of
flying, it all works fine. No interference of stems or anything (but
things are close). They hold air better than whatever I had on my
Maule. So IF you already have the stock wheels and tires, it works
fine, but the Matco axle fixes a problem that seems to be unavoidable
otherwise.

Bill

On 9/6/2012 12:28 AM, Kelly McMullen wrote:
> You do need the Matco axle. The Van's axle has shown problems that
> cause nose fork wear. If you are ordering from them anyway, why not
> get the right wheel, that needs NO modification and costs the same as
> Release Date: 09/05/12

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours