RJaguar cowling. Was: LoPresti sale extended through AYA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List
teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: RJaguar cowling. Was: LoPresti sale extended through AYA Reply with quote

Brian,
Excuse my honesty. But, I've spent a lot of time working on cooling problems. A lot of time. The first LoPresti nose bowl I ever saw was on a Tiger that was running excessive temperatures, 470+. The problem is the way they seal around the inlet. The installer really needs to know what he's doing. The inlet on the LoPresti nose bowl doesn't provide the same sealing area the original nose bowl has. If the cowling is installed without taking that into consideration, it won't seal and it won't cool.
Some time back someone told Roy, "Design us a cowling like you did for Piper. We want round inlets. Of course, we don't know why we want round inlets, but they look cool on those Pipers and we want them too." Now, the LoPresti folks have been in the game a long time. And, they have done their homework. They know that few in the Grumman community will pay $$15,000 to $20,000 for a complete cowling. They also know that plane owners have a maximum dollar amount they are willing to spent on their planes. For Grummans, that's $5000 (Note: for other makes and models the maximum dollars is different.) So, LoPresti makes a nose bowl that has round inlets that look cool and it is priced right for the market. That's genius on their part. LoPresti also makes a cowling for a Comanche that costs a whole lot more than my cowling. It's a thing of beauty. But, then, Comanche owners are a different lot. (By-the-way, a good friend of mine had a Comanche with the LoPresti cowling and prop and exhaust and tail mod and who knows what else. He flew his plane to Florida, spent $100,000+ and flew it home. He loved it. I worked on it. The cowling fit and finish was better than anything I'd ever seen. I incorporated some of the ideas into my cowling.)

My philosophy when making the Jaguar cowling was different. I didn't sit down with a board of directors and bean counters and come up with a viable product for a particular market. I wasn't thinking, "Where can I cut a few corners so I can make this easier and cheaper and increase my profit." I'm an engineer/scientist and hot rodder at heart. My goal was absolutely even CHTs and as fast as I could go.
RJ and his group have $5000 Grumman niche and they can afford to cut the price $1000 and still make money. My fabrication costs are more than he sells his nose bowl for at retail. I make almost nothing on the cowling. The baffles alone for the cowling cost me almost $1000. I include them in the cost of the cowling. I only do that because the installation takes time and the Jaguar cowling requires a Power Flow. All that adds up and most owners won't pony up for the whole deal.

As for the inlet, do a little research on your own. Look up Submerged inlets and look for papers written between 1945 and 1954. Then compare. Bob Arnold would block off his NACA inlet when racing and use the original inlet because the original inlet was 2 knots faster. A properly designed NACA inlet has almost no drag. Look at the NACA inlet for cabin air on your plane. See the lip at the entrance? Now look at the NACA inlet LoPresti uses with the nose bowl. No lip. Again, that's the 80% rule. The cost to design that lip, with the correct entrance and area ratio and the length to which they were restricted, for the inlet area they needed, didn't add up. I don't make this stuff up. I report the facts.

Reports on my cowling are mixed? I guess it depends on who installs mine cowling also. Still never heard of anyone saying the Jaguar didn't cool better.
Gary, the dude with attitude.
From: Gary Vogt <teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com>
Sender: owner-teamgrumman-list-server(at)matronics.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:14:42 -0700 (PDT)
To: teamgrumman-list(at)matronics.com<teamgrumman-list(at)matronics.com>
ReplyTo: teamgrumman-list(at)matronics.com
I don't post to the G= G.
$4000 for a no= se bowl that really does nothing? Amazing. I've got a Tiger in = my shop right now with the LoPresti nose bowl that has CHTs near 500 degree= s. The NACA inlet is designed all wrong. Or, let's just say, no= t the way it was intended.
<= div>Dave will be getting out of the fabrication business next year. &= nbsp;So, I'm in the process of finding a new fabricator.
<= span>

Ned, If you'd be so kind as to post to the= GG and point them toward my web site I would be very thankful.
Gary

</= div> From:= 923TE <923te(at)att.net>
From: "Ron Levy" <[url=]rblevy(at)mindspring.com[/url]>
Date: = July 26, 2012 8:16:43 AM CDT
To: <grumman-gang(at)mailman.xmission.com >
Gan= g:

You all saw this announcement from RJ S= iegel at LoPresti a few days ago:

Quote:
Hi Guys!
Just to remin= d everyone, the cowl sale ends at the close of AirVenture.
Quote:
We have eight out of ten slots taken= (So my simple brain says there are
two slots left.) (retail $4995? SALE $3995)
Quote:
Also, I said I would respond to Kev= in Lancaster's rave review of the new
60w X3 landing light with a sale for Oshkosh. So here it = is: The retail
is $1= 399 and the sale for Oshkosh is $949.
<= br>RJ emailed me this morning to say that as a favor to AYA, the sale= is being
extended through end of the AYA Convention next F= riday, August 3.

Thanks, RJ!

Ron
(who loves his Lo= Presti cowl)

=0A
Quote:
http:/=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=0A=0A

[url=] [/url]
[url=] [/url]
Quote:
[/b]

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Back to top
DannyBo
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: RJaguar cowling. Was: LoPresti sale extended through Reply with quote

Damn, much a commitment of appreciation is all together for your thought. I really like to play web based games here https://www.9winz.com/blackjack-switch, I will not stow away, especially for cash. In a little while there are different online regions that offer games for cash, at any rate where to find a strong wellspring of such objections, I found roulette lightning, there are totally various fights for playing on the web. It turns me on so much, especially following a dull day at work, there is nothing better diverged several hundred, which will not change a ton to the degree saves, at any rate will change everything to the degree character.

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours