exhaust system modification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

Here is a shot of my new exhaust system, with Burn's Stainless 4-
into-1 collector and megaphone, if anybody is interested.

Just today I installed heat muffs on both sides to allow for cabin
heat, and carb (TBI) heat. Both work well, with the carb heat side
increasing the inlet air temp from about 90 deg. F., to 175 deg F. in
about 15 seconds. The sound is pretty mellow, too. : )

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062
Prince prop 64 x 30, P-tip
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection (sleeved to 36mm)

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

100_1294.jpg
 Filesize:  481.93 KB
 Viewed:  11307 Time(s)

100_1294.jpg

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
Jim McCormick

Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Location: Fresno, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

Hey Lynn

Nice Job!
Jim McCormick
Jabiru Pacific LLC
255 W Fallbrook Suite 202B
Fresno, Ca 93722
559-431-1701
jim(at)jabirupacific.com
http://www.jabirupacific.com

On 6/8/12 5:14 PM, "Lynn Matteson" <lynnmatt(at)jps.net> wrote:

Quote:
Here is a shot of my new exhaust system, with Burn's Stainless 4-
into-1 collector and megaphone, if anybody is interested.

Just today I installed heat muffs on both sides to allow for cabin
heat, and carb (TBI) heat. Both work well, with the carb heat side
increasing the inlet air temp from about 90 deg. F., to 175 deg F. in
about 15 seconds. The sound is pretty mellow, too. : )

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062
Prince prop 64 x 30, P-tip
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection (sleeved to 36mm)

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
dons701

Joined: 22 May 2009
Location: Hershey, PA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

Hi Lynn, gotta ask. Any noticeable changes in power??

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Zenith 701 #76120
Jabiru 2200A #2456 95 hours
Sensenich Wood 64-PJ-36 Prop
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

Thanks, Jim....I'm only responsible for the pipes leading down to the
collector, but overall, I think it looks pretty good.
On Jun 8, 2012, at 9:15 PM, jim wrote:

Quote:

Hey Lynn

Nice Job!
Jim McCormick
Jabiru Pacific LLC
255 W Fallbrook Suite 202B
Fresno, Ca 93722
559-431-1701
jim(at)jabirupacific.com
http://www.jabirupacific.com

On 6/8/12 5:14 PM, "Lynn Matteson" <lynnmatt(at)jps.net> wrote:

> Here is a shot of my new exhaust system, with Burn's Stainless 4-
> into-1 collector and megaphone, if anybody is interested.
> Just today I installed heat muffs on both sides to allow for cabin
> heat, and carb (TBI) heat. Both work well, with the carb heat side
> increasing the inlet air temp from about 90 deg. F., to 175 deg F. in
> about 15 seconds. The sound is pretty mellow, too. : )
>
> Lynn Matteson
> Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
> Jabiru 2200, #2062
> Prince prop 64 x 30, P-tip
> Electroair direct-fire ignition system
> Rotec TBI-40 injection (sleeved to 36mm)

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

Hi Don-
It's really hard to say whether the power was improved or not, just
because of the very nature of flight....with race cars, you can
always compare lap times, 1/4 mile times, etc., but with the
varieties of flight conditions, I can't tell for sure if any more
power is being produced. My primary reason for doing this job was
inspiration that I got when reading the April 2012 issue of Kitplanes
magazine about making headers for a 540 Lycoming, I think it was.
Also, I had two straight pipes before and it was pretty noisy, and I
wanted to try to get the sound a bit more controlled.

To order the collector, I had to supply Burns with cam timing, valve
lift and size, port size, engine size, primary exhaust diameter,
desired rpm where the engine will run, etc., and they run those specs
through their design-X program and give you the recommended specs for
the collector and the diameter and length of the megaphone and the
reverse cone on the end. The reverse cone is said to extend the
torque range. I have to admit that I did not make the primaries the
exact length that I should have. To do so would have taken too much
time and effort.....I may do so in the future. This will require
making the original #3 and #4 pipe the same length as the original #1
and #2 pipes which are currently a bit longer. This means snaking
some tubing in a roundabout way so that all the primaries will be the
same length, and then the system will be tuned properly, and I'll get
the most benefit from the collector and megaphone. But I'm happy with
the system for now, and when I get bored, I'll fire up the TIG and
modify those #3 and 4 pipes.

Incidentally, I tried "back-purging" for the first time on this
job...stainless steel welding looks like crap without it....and was
amazed at how good the welds that I did came out. Burns has good
information on their website as to how to do this.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062
Prince prop 64 x 30, P-tip
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection (sleeved to 36mm)

On Jun 8, 2012, at 10:20 PM, dons701 wrote:

Quote:

<burdon1(at)comcast.net>

Hi Lynn, gotta ask. Any noticeable changes in power??

--------
Zenith 701 #76120
Jabiru 2200A #2456 95 hours
Sensenich Wood 64-PJ-36 Prop

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
checkpoint2(at)comcast.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

Hey Lynn That is a positive move. I extended the pipes from
the two into one junction and added approximately 24 inches of extension
each side. I used motorcycle tabs and springs to support the additional
weight. It is not tuned but it's not too loud, and no cracks in about a 100
hours. I like your idea though. N 380 BH Alpi Pioneer Jabiru 2200.

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob. The other reason that I did not try to "tune" the
primary pipes to the suggested 32" was because of the problem of
wrapping a heat muff around the pair of pipes on each side. If I had
added some "extender bends" to the rear pipes, the heat muff would
have been the size of a 55-gallon barrel. Here's a picture of the
heat muffs prior to welding on the in and out tubes, which are now
finished and installed:

Now that I look at the picture again, the heat muffs will stay the
same regardless of what I do to the Jabiru original rear primary
pipes, as long as I do it before the slip-joint....Duhhh!! (sometimes
I engage the fingers before the brain) Let me start again....the
main reason that I did not make all pipes the same length was to be
able to expedite the job, and get back to flying.

By the way, Burns' Stainless sells the tabs and springs (called
beehive springs, I think) and also sells stainless steel tabs which
sit side-by-side on the to-be-connected pipes and are held together
by a bolt.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062
Prince prop 64 x 30, P-tip
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection (sleeved to 36mm)

On Jun 9, 2012, at 10:44 AM, Bob Haas wrote:

Quote:

<checkpoint2(at)comcast.net>

Hey Lynn That is a positive move. I extended the
pipes from the two into one junction and added approximately 24
inches of extension
each side. I used motorcycle tabs and springs to support the
additional weight. It is not tuned but it's not too loud, and no
cracks in about a 100
hours. I like your idea though. N 380 BH Alpi Pioneer Jabiru 2200.

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

100_1296.jpg
 Filesize:  401.09 KB
 Viewed:  11276 Time(s)

100_1296.jpg

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

[...]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

Lynn, Makes sense to me. Right now I would have to 15000 ft.
or higher to justify a heat muff. My aircraft only flies in the confines of
the
Florida Peninsula, no heat required. Bob Haas.

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

I gotcha, Bob....this morning that heat muff felt really good in the
46 degree morning air....quite a change from Mondays' 90!

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062
Prince prop 64 x 30, P-tip
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection (sleeved to 36mm)
do not archive

On Jun 12, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Bob Haas wrote:

[quote]
<checkpoint2(at)comcast.net>

Lynn, Makes sense to me. Right now I would have to
15000 ft. or higher to justify a heat muff. My aircraft only flies
in the confines of the
Florida Peninsula, no heat required. Bob Haas.

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
carlmeek(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

While are on the topic of heat muffs, does anyone know where I can buy one
(or two!) for a Jabiru 3300?
I've not found a supplier who has them.

Thanks,
-Carl.

On 13/06/2012 13:49, "Lynn Matteson" <lynnmatt(at)jps.net> wrote:

[quote]

I gotcha, Bob....this morning that heat muff felt really good in the
46 degree morning air....quite a change from Mondays' 90!

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062
Prince prop 64 x 30, P-tip
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection (sleeved to 36mm)
do not archive

On Jun 12, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Bob Haas wrote:

> <checkpoint2(at)comcast.net>
>
> Lynn, Makes sense to me. Right now I would have to
> 15000 ft. or higher to justify a heat muff. My aircraft only flies
> in the confines of the
> Florida Peninsula, no heat required. Bob Haas.
>
> --

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
dwwilt

Joined: 06 Dec 2010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

I would think that you could get one from the dealer.

Dennis
N616DW (Arion Lightning S/N 132)

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Dennis
mhubel

Joined: 05 Sep 2009

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

Carl,
If you want one which will fit on the pipe coming out of the
muffler instead of one that goes on the muffler and spans a possibly
leaky weld (don't ask), you can contact:

sales(at)aircraftexhaust.net

They can supply one of almost any size.

I now have one which I took off the muffler but can't really recommend
it for anyone.
On 06/13/2012 8:57 AM, Carl Meek wrote:
[quote]

While are on the topic of heat muffs, does anyone know where I can buy one
(or two!) for a Jabiru 3300?
I've not found a supplier who has them.

Thanks,
-Carl.

On 13/06/2012 13:49, "Lynn Matteson"<lynnmatt(at)jps.net> wrote:

> I gotcha, Bob....this morning that heat muff felt really good in the
> 46 degree morning air....quite a change from Mondays' 90!
>
> Lynn Matteson
> Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
> Jabiru 2200, #2062
> Prince prop 64 x 30, P-tip
> Electroair direct-fire ignition system
> Rotec TBI-40 injection (sleeved to 36mm)
> do not archive
>
> On Jun 12, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Bob Haas wrote:
>

>> <checkpoint2(at)comcast.net>
>>
>> Lynn, Makes sense to me. Right now I would have to
>> 15000 ft. or higher to justify a heat muff. My aircraft only flies
>> in the confines of the
>> Florida Peninsula, no heat required. Bob Haas.
>>
>> --

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Mark Hubelbank
N708HU
CH601XL
Jabiru 3300
Rotec TBI 40-3 carb
Sensenich ground adj prop.
240 hr TAF
Pictures at photo.hubbles.com
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: exhaust system modification Reply with quote

I built a pair of muffs for a friends' 3300 in his Waiex. I made the
front "bulkhead" for the muff behind all the factory welds so no
chance of a leaky weld admitting CO into the cabin. Making that
bulkhead was a BITCH! It involved cutting a 3-lobe hole into a piece
of stainless steel, and cutting and fitting, cutting and fitting
until it finally fit. I don't know how well they worked, because
another person suggested that they might be the reason that his
engine...brand new and not broken in yet... was overheating (the jury
is still out on that call), so he took them off. But here are
pictures of what I did.
Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062
Prince prop 64 x 30, P-tip
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection (sleeved to 36mm)
On Jun 13, 2012, at 8:57 AM, Carl Meek wrote:

Quote:

<carlmeek(at)gmail.com>

While are on the topic of heat muffs, does anyone know where I can
buy one
(or two!) for a Jabiru 3300?
I've not found a supplier who has them.

Thanks,
-Carl.

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

100_0629.jpg
 Filesize:  137.92 KB
 Viewed:  11215 Time(s)

100_0629.jpg

100_0627.jpg
 Filesize:  148.87 KB
 Viewed:  11215 Time(s)

100_0627.jpg

Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours