starter battery - LiFePO4

kdietric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

I'm just back from the AERO in Friedrichshafen and besides the Rotax 912is, I was impressed by the new LiFePO4 starter batteries on offer; the weight of those new batteries are below 1kg and they should perform as well or better than the normal lead/GEL batteries which are 6-7kg!

Does anybody have actual live experience with those new batteries in their Europa?
Could be a good way to save some kilos;-)

http://www.shoraipower.com/
http://www.a123systems.com/
http://www.accu-24.de/de/LiFePO4-Akkus
http://shop.strato.de/epages/61333079.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61333079/Categories/motorradbatterie--

Thanks,
Klaus (OE-CKD)

juliosalazarc(at)YAHOO.CO
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

Unsubscribe

Julio Salazar Cerda
NO TEMAS; SOLAMENTE TEN FE
San Lucas 8, 50

“Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught will
we realize we cannot eat money."

[quote]
--> Europa-List message posted by: Klaus Dietrich <klaus.dietrich(at)me.com (klaus.dietrich(at)me.com)>

I'm just back from the AERO in Friedrichshafen and besides the Rotax 912is, I was impressed by the new LiFePO4 starter batteries on offer; the weight of those new batteries are below 1kg and they should perform as well or better than the normal lead/GEL batteries which are 6-7kg!

Does anybody have actual live experience with those new batteries in their Europa?
Could be a good way to save some kilos;-)

http://www.shoraipower.com/
http://www.a123systems.com/
http://www.accu-24.de/de/LiFePO4-Akkus
http://shop.strato.de/epages/61333079.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61333079/Categories/mo="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List" target="_blank">http:--> http://for - List Contribution Web Site -http://www.matronic====================

[b]

pjlevi(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

Klaus,

I purchased a similar battery at the Microlight Fair at Popham in May 2011 (cost was GBP 200.00).  I, like you, thought it would be a great weight saver as it was just under 1 kg.

However, when I showed it to my engineer, Pete Jeffers, I was horrified when he did the arithmetic on the weight and balance schedule and told me that it reduced my Europa to a single-seat aircraft and there was absolutely no way it could be installed as a simple replacement for the existing battery.  So, I suggest you check the weight and balance before purchasing - and if you need one, then mine is available second-hand unused!

Incidentally I have a LiFePO4 (Lithium Ferrous- (or Iron-)  Phosphate) battery in my folding electric bicycle and they are excellent, lightweight and extremely powerful compared to the older Lithium Ion batteries, but they also have the advantage of being less likely to catch fire when transported in aircraft.  See the British Airways Dangerous Goods List at http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/Forbidden_Items_List.pdf .  You will see that Lithium Ion batteries are only permitted in Cabin Luggage, not in the hold, so that in the event of a fire they can be put out quickly by cabin crew and also they are only permitted up to 160 Wh which is not very much.

My LiFePO4 bike battery by comparison is 370 Wh and was permitted for carriage on BA flights between LHR and Cape Town (I took it with hand baggage in the cabin) as LiFePO4 batteries are not considered a fire risk like their Lithium Ion predecessors and can be carried without a power restriction.  However, for the Europa, I think you will find that the weight and balance unfortunately becomes prohibitive unless you alter the location of the battery.  I am sure Pete Jeffers will be happy to give you more technical advice than I can offer, but it would need to be cleared with Ian Rickard and the LAA as a new mod.

Philip Levi.

G-BWWB Europa Monowheel Classic, Compton Abbas.

E-mail:  pjlevi(at)gmail.com (pjlevi(at)gmail.com)

On 26 April 2012 14:47, Klaus Dietrich <klaus.dietrich(at)me.com (klaus.dietrich(at)me.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> Europa-List message posted by: Klaus Dietrich <klaus.dietrich(at)me.com (klaus.dietrich(at)me.com)>

I'm just back from the AERO in Friedrichshafen and besides the Rotax 912is, I was impressed by the new LiFePO4 starter batteries on offer; the weight of those new batteries are below 1kg and they should perform as well or better than the normal lead/GEL batteries which are 6-7kg!

Does anybody have actual live experience with those new batteries in their Europa?
Could be a good way to save some kilos;-)

http://www.shoraipower.com/
http://www.a123systems.com/
http://www.accu-24.de/de/LiFePO4-Akkus
http://shop.strato.de/epages/61333079.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61333079/Categories/motorradbatterie--

Thanks,
Klaus (OE-CKD)

====================================
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
====================================
http://forums.matronics.com
====================================
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
====================================

[b]

frans(at)privatepilots.nl
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

On 04/26/2012 03:47 PM, Klaus Dietrich wrote:
Quote:
I'm just back from the AERO in Friedrichshafen and besides the Rotax
912is, I was impressed by the new LiFePO4 starter batteries on offer;

The main problem with these batteries is that they require a totally
different way of charging. A lead-acid battery can be connected in
parallel with the alternator, and the lead-acid battery will just take
enough current to get recharged, and stops automatically. It won't get
any simpeler than that.
A LiFePO4 needs an overvoltage to initiate charging, strategically
tapered off to stop charging, and each individual cell needs to be
carefully monitored and balanced. It takes a lot of complicated
electronics, something we tend to avoid in aircraft. (You might look on
some wiki's on this subject to see what is needed to recharge these
babies properly).
The implication of all this is that you can not just connect the battery
in parallel to the alternator. In real life this means that you need to
run the ship entirely off the alternator, and the battery is connected
to the bus, not parallel, but via its complicated charger. If the
alternator momentarily needs some support from the battery it won't be
able to get it. Sure you can switch over to battery power, but you can't
use the alternator and the battery at the same time. Also, if I remember
correctly, the cell voltage of a LiFePO4 is 3.2 Volts. So you need to
operate at 12.8, which is quite low, or at 16 Volts which is a tad too
high. Normal lead-acid batteries parallel to the alternator operate at
13.7 to 14.5 Volts, and this is, not coincidentally, the voltage your
avionics is designed for.
LiFePO4 might become an interesting alternative once aircraft rated
chargers are developed, and when avionics is adapted to operate on the
new voltages. This is just not the time to do it, unless you want to be
the guinea pig.

Just my 2 cents.

Frans

craigb(at)onthenet.com.au
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

Philip

You mentioned the issues of weight and balance, for not using the LiFePo battery, assuming you had the battery in the rear
As per most builds, was the option of another half kilo of ballast near the tail considered, if so and you opted not to proceed
Could you explain why. Given the weight saving would still be about 6kg, it would seem worthwhile to pursue

Craig

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

Craig,
you're right. moving the battery forward would require roughly half it's weight in the tail to compensate.
You save the weight of the cables too. You need to consider keeping the battery cool if it's in the engine bay though.
Graham
You mentioned the issues of weight and balance, for not using the LiFePo battery, assuming you had the battery in the rear
As per most builds, was the option of another half kilo of ballast near the tail considered, if so and you opted not to proceed
Could you explain why. Given the weight saving would still be about 6kg, it would seem worthwhile to pursue

Craig

[quote]http://=======================

[b]

europapa

Joined: 30 Aug 2010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought this battery:

http://www.aeroakku.com/product_info.php/info/p503_AEROAKKU-LFP-12-5-5.html

The seller ( not the one in the link ) told me that they have tree ultra lights in their airclub with this battery installed and they work fine.
The specific electronic should be installed in the battery so they could be swiched with the lead batteries.

Juergen

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

Craig & Graham, Right from the start I planned to have my
battery in the engine compartment, and it has worked very
well. It sits on top of the passenger footwell with a one
inch retaining wall around its bottom end and fixed with a
nylon strap from the firewall over the top and down. that
is a much simpler and lighter mounting than any I have
seen in the rear. I have an Oddyssey 17 amp hr battery
which has had more than enough welly to start the engine
instantly even after a 3/12 break in the winter. I made no
provision for cooling and it doesn't seem to have noticed.
As to weight and balance I have a mono XS, 914
and a Woodcomp SR 3000 W wobbly prop and a very well
equipped panel (although much of this electronic rather
than steam age!), so my plane might be expected to be nose
heavy. I calculated what I thought was the optimum
position for the Ready for Service C of G as what would
allow any combination of pilot/s, fuel & luggage and came
up with the figure of 59 ins or thereabouts (but the
precise figure will depend on the base weight of the plane
but I guess the optimum will be very close to this) To
achieve that precise CoG position I found I needed a
small, 3 lb block of lead bolted to the front of the tail
bulkhead (accessed conveniently through the trim slots). I
suspect I had saved most or all of 3lbs in longer cables
and more elaborate mounting & fixing of a rear battery. My
advice would be to assume this is wha.t you will do with
the battery and only shift it to the much more
inconvenient rear position if your plane turns out to be
unexpectedly tail heavy.
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

________________________________
You mentioned the issues of weight and balance, for not
using
the LiFePo battery, assuming you had the battery in the
rear
As per most builds, was the option of another half kilo
of ballast
near the tail considered, if so and you opted not to
proceed
Could you explain why. Given the weight saving would
still be
about 6kg, it would seem worthwhile to pursue

Craig

pjlevi(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

Craig

My battery is indeed in the rear.  The possibility of adding weight to the tail was considered, but the amount required was such that the net weight saving by changing the battery would not be all that significant.  It is a relatively light aircraft as Europas go with a 912 UL engine but with an Airmaster AP332 VP propeller and the nose near the forward CG limit.  I also understand that adding significant weight to the tail can increase the propensity to ground loop.

Philip.
G-BWWB Europa Monowheel Classic

[quote]--> Europa-List message posted by: "David Joyce" <davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk)>

From: craig <craigb(at)onthenet.com.au (craigb(at)onthenet.com.au)>
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com) Sent: Saturday, 28 April 2012, 0:04

Philip

You mentioned the issues of weight and balance, for not using
the LiFePo battery, assuming you had the battery in the rear
As per most builds, was the option of another half kilo of ballast
near the tail considered, if so and you opted not to proceed
Could you explain why. Given the weight saving would still be
about 6kg, it would seem worthwhile to pursue

Craig

====================================
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
====================================
http://forums.matronics.com
====================================
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
====================================

[b]

jan_de_jong(at)casema.nl
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

I believe that a 12 V LiFePO4 battery is quite safe if used with care.
It does not have a thermal runaway mode, but will burn, not explode, if
mistreated to an internal temperature of about 800 șC (well above the
melting point of aluminium).
By the way, LiFePO4 is not for low temperatures; one example increases
internal resistance (4 mOhm) below 10 șC as follows: 20 mOhm at 0 șC, 40
mOhm at -10 șC etc.

How I intend to use with care:

1. Charge with a CC/CV regime, just like a lead-acid battery.
CC: small alternator, charging current guaranteed less than 2C
CV: maximum charging voltage 14.5 V; less is ok but the maximum SOC will
be less than 100%

2. Cell balancing is much slower and worse than with a lead-acid battery
(because a fully charged cell largely stops passing current).
Mitigation:
- long stays at CV interrupted by shallow discharges - normal starter
battery use actually
- apply an external shunt (3.70 V) across each cell to speed up
balancing if/when needed
Monitor:
- all cell voltages must remain below 4.00 V; remedy: stop charging

3. Replace if ever discharged to below 20% SOC
Monitor:
- battery voltage must remain > 12.8 V; remedy: if needed carry on
discharging, but do not recharge, replace

4. Have 2

I designed a "monitor & top equalizer" for attachment to a Shorai
LiFePO4 battery. It has just two indications: 1. a cell has a shunt
operating, 2. a cell has a shunt operating but even so its voltage
exceeds 4.00 V.
According to the battery suppliers no equalizing or monitoring is needed
- which may be right ofcourse. Neither of the indications may ever show.
On the other hand - they do sell balancing chargers...

Attached a typical charge curve for a LiFePO4 cell (author unknown). See
the current drop when a SOC of 100% is approached.

Jan de Jong

40138chargeprofile.jpg
 Filesize:  42.82 KB
 Viewed:  14554 Time(s)

40138chargeprofile.jpg

Back to top
dpark748(at)hotmail.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

Recently seen a thermal run away on a seneca where battery is in the nose. Glad i was not in the air with it.!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone
On 28 Apr 2012, at 16:35, "Jan de Jong" <jan_de_jong(at)casema.nl> wrote:

Quote:

I believe that a 12 V LiFePO4 battery is quite safe if used with care.
It does not have a thermal runaway mode, but will burn, not explode, if mistreated to an internal temperature of about 800 ÂșC (well above the melting point of aluminium).
By the way, LiFePO4 is not for low temperatures; one example increases internal resistance (4 mOhm) below 10 ÂșC as follows: 20 mOhm at 0 ÂșC, 40 mOhm at -10 ÂșC etc.

[...]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

Probably a LiMnO2 battery. Not safe indeed.

Jan de Jong

On 4/28/2012 5:52 PM, david park wrote:
Quote:

Recently seen a thermal run away on a seneca where battery is in the nose. Glad i was not in the air with it.!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone
On 28 Apr 2012, at 16:35, "Jan de Jong"<jan_de_jong(at)casema.nl> wrote:

> I believe that a 12 V LiFePO4 battery is quite safe if used with care.
> It does not have a thermal runaway mode, but will burn, not explode, if mistreated to an internal temperature of about 800 ÂșC (well above the melting point of aluminium).
> By the way, LiFePO4 is not for low temperatures; one example increases internal resistance (4 mOhm) below 10 ÂșC as follows: 20 mOhm at 0 ÂșC, 40 mOhm at -10 ÂșC etc.
>
> How I intend to use with care:
>
> 1. Charge with a CC/CV regime, just like a lead-acid battery.
> CC: small alternator, charging current guaranteed less than 2C
> CV: maximum charging voltage 14.5 V; less is ok but the maximum SOC will be less than 100%
>
> 2. Cell balancing is much slower and worse than with a lead-acid battery (because a fully charged cell largely stops passing current).
> Mitigation:
> - long stays at CV interrupted by shallow discharges - normal starter battery use actually
> - apply an external shunt (3.70 V) across each cell to speed up balancing if/when needed
> Monitor:
> - all cell voltages must remain below 4.00 V; remedy: stop charging
>
> 3. Replace if ever discharged to below 20% SOC
> Monitor:
> - battery voltage must remain> 12.8 V; remedy: if needed carry on discharging, but do not recharge, replace
>
> 4. Have 2
>
> I designed a "monitor& top equalizer" for attachment to a Shorai LiFePO4 battery. It has just two indications: 1. a cell has a shunt operating, 2. a cell has a shunt operating but even so its voltage exceeds 4.00 V.
> According to the battery suppliers no equalizing or monitoring is needed - which may be right ofcourse. Neither of the indications may ever show. On the other hand - they do sell balancing chargers...
>
> Attached a typical charge curve for a LiFePO4 cell (author unknown). See the current drop when a SOC of 100% is approached.
>
> Jan de Jong
>
> <40138chargeprofile.jpg>

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

David,
I suspect you meant to say "unexpectedly nose heavy" ?
regards
Graham

From: craig <craigb(at)onthenet.com.au (craigb(at)onthenet.com.au)>
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com) Sent: Saturday, 28 April 2012, 0:04

Philip

You mentioned the issues of weight and balance, for not using
the LiFePo battery, assuming you had the battery in the rear
As per most builds, was the option of another half kilo of ballast
near the tail considered, if so and you opted not to proceed
Could you explain why. Given the weight saving would still be
about 6kg, it would seem worthwhile to pursue

Craig&nb="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List" ="http://forums.matronics.com" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics. &nbsptronics.com/contribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contri================

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

Graham, No I meant it as writ! The original well thought
out design was conceived around a 912 and a simple prop as
I understand it. The significant extra weight of a 914 and
a wobbly prop hanging on the front might be expected to
make it relatively nose heavy. Ten pounds extra on the
p[rop probably just about accounts for my 3 lb of lead.
Regards, David
On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 22:08:31 +0100 (BST)
> [...]

>consider keeping the battery cool if it's in the engine
>bay though.
> Graham
>

> ________________________________
> From: craig <craigb(at)onthenet.com.au>
> To: europa-list(at)matronics.com Sent: Saturday, 28 April
>2012, 0:04
> Subject: RE: starter battery - LiFePO4
>

> Philip
>
> You mentioned the issues of weight and balance, for not
>using
> the LiFePo battery, assuming you had the battery in the
>rear
> As per most builds, was the option of another half kilo
>of ballast
> near the tail considered, if so and you opted not to
>proceed
> Could you explain why. Given the weight saving would
>still be
> about 6kg, it would seem worthwhile to pursue

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: starter battery - LiFePO4 Reply with quote

Now I'm confused! (again)
I was referring to your last sentence,
If the plane is tail heavy the battery needs to be at the front, yes?
Graham