Yak-List Digest: 6 Msgs - 04/08/12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
davisn

Joined: 07 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Yak-List Digest: 6 Msgs - 04/08/12 Reply with quote

Re the recent tragic Bearcat accident. I can remember witnessing the crash on take off of a T-28 in 1957 at Whiting Field.
It turned out that the aircraft had just been maintained and the flight was a maintenance test flight. The ailerons had been rigged wrong. As a result, when the pilot attempted to level wings his control inputs were reversed. There just wasn't enough altitude for him to realize it and use opposite aileron.
Ever since then I instruct students to make sure all control surfaces move correctly in the proper sense during pre take off checks.
There is no way anyone will truly know what happened until the investigation is complete.
It's too damned bad it takes so long.
Condolences to the family.
Norm Davis CDR USN ret.
[quote] From: Yak-List Digest Server <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
To: Yak-List Digest List <yak-list-digest(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Monday, 9 April 2012 7:00 PM
Subject: Yak-List Digest: 6 Msgs - 04/08/12

*

=========================
Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive
=========================

Today's complete Yak-List Digest can also be found in either of the
two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
of the Yak-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter=2012-04-08&Archive=Yak

Text Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter=2012-04-08&Archive=Yak
=======================
EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive
=======================

  Yak-List Digest Archive
  ---
  Total Messages Posted Sun 04/08/12: 6

Today's Message Index:
----------------------

1. 09:31 AM - Re: flying movie (Rico Jaeger)
2. 05:57 PM - Re: Tragic loss in Tx (ChangDriver)
3. 06:13 PM - Re: Sad day at Breckenridge TX (Ron Davis)
4. 06:32 PM - Re: Sad day at Breckenridge TX (Roger Kemp M.D.)
  5. 07:40 PM - Flying (Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E)
6. 08:21 PM - Re: Flying (Roger Kemp M.D.)

________________________________ Message 1  _____________________________________
Time: 09:31:39 AM PST US
Subject: Re: flying movie
From: Rico Jaeger <rijaeger(at)wausau.k12.wi.us (rijaeger(at)wausau.k12.wi.us)>

Wow! Inspiring...yet oh so humbling! Not your average "stale"
documentary...very in-depth and compelling. Thanks for posting, Brian!!

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Brian Lloyd <brian(at)lloyd.com (brian(at)lloyd.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I am sure many of you have seen this, but for those of you who haven't, it
is worth watching. Nearly an hour long. Put your computer into full-screen
mode and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvtQ3g0ELuE

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.

*

*

________________________________ Message 2 _____________________________________
Time: 05:57:27 PM PST US
Subject: Re: Tragic loss in Tx
From: "ChangDriver" <capav8r(at)gmail.com (capav8r(at)gmail.com)>
While we may never know exactly what happened to Howard Pardue, I did discuss the
accident with a friend of his that flew a missing man with me this weekend.
He said that he'd be very surprised if Howard would ever do a low level roll
on takeoff.  He said it would have been a medical or mechanical failure for him
to roll at such a low altitude. Howard had countless hours in that Bearcat
and knew it's performance envelope well.

Interesting too is I am told that his airplane was the prototype for the Bearcat
so it was the XF8F.

Here is his obit...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/reporternews/obituary.aspx?n=howard-edwards-pardue&pid=156885590

________________________________ Message 3 _____________________________________
Time: 06:13:41 PM PST US
From: Ron Davis <l39parts(at)hotmail.com (l39parts(at)hotmail.com)>
Subject: RE: Sad day at Breckenridge TX
It troubles me when someone says flying is a privilege. Driving is a 'priv
ilege' in most states=2C according to the statutes. Is riding a bicycle a
privilege? Was riding a horse a privilege when the constitution was writte
n or was a right? Is walking a privilege? What rights exactly do I have
as a free man if moving around is a privilege? I guess I have the right to
remain silent. Or at least will as soon as I'm arrested.
From: hess737(at)aol.com (hess737(at)aol.com)
Guys=2C
It's a tragedy for sure for his family. Someone else said something today t
hat was right up my line of thinking. If there was a medical or mechanical
issue then we are all sorry for the loss. If it was an intentional maneuver
=2C then I worry every time that happens because like the F-18 crash today
=2C people on the ground can and do get hurt or killed. Military must fly.
Warbirds are not so needed. Our privileges are at risk with every such even
t. That alone is reason enough to be careful and make smart decisions.

Happy Easter to all...

Richard Hess
C 404-964-4885
--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

Norm Davis, CDR USN ret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours