Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

All

I have hope-so a nice riddle for you.

Maybe all the answers are useful – let´s collect them all:

***

Yesterday I took off from a very remote /small /windy (90 degrees 12 knots and gusting MUCH) grass strip. Soon until well over the ground at altitude +500 feet with full power and 2nd fuel pump still on and gears up I felt suddenly let us say medium or more shake and vibration. My immediate reaction was to go around and land immediately but abandoned because wind was so furious and I felt I cannot do that (a succesful landing).

I decided to try to fly to the next possible sensible airfield EFHV which was 10 minutes apart.

Those minutes were long: I put my prob (Airmaster CS) to manual and drived it from fine to coarse, tried all the power settings and also a 2nd fuel filter. Finally I noticed that when prop was in a climb mode (in my case 5400 rpm /Rotax 912S) and MAP around 20 inches I got quite a comfortable flying mode and I headed straight home. My airspeed was w that selection about 110 knots but because of a strong headwind GS was only about 70 knots (wanted to be clearly over the ground at 3000 ft because it was well over sunset and totally dark, yesterday we got sunset around 1600 Zulutime and time was well over 1630 when flying).

So, I pushed home one looooong hour. All the aerodynamics were well. I was a bit worried my engine will separate or so. When trying to push more pwr it was more vibra and when trying to pull less pwr same. I Followed a main highway and decided to land there if feeling so. Cars there with lights are almost like a lighted runway...

Finally landing to the EFTP flawlesly.

***

Today we had a FHGP (Family Hangar Grill Party). I tried to check my plane as well as I can. I found something. Very small evidence but something anyway. I tried to fix it and had a test run. I elected to go to fly – hey I am a test pilot who else – and She was better than ever!

I managed to do 2 touches and goes when C172 did one with same runway.

140 knots during downwind makes me always happy.

***

So – dear Ladies and Gentlemen – what was wrong?

It would be nice and very life-useful to hear your opinions or guesses what was wrong.

***

The Rules: one single guess per person, please.

The Prize: The Best Guess will get a Very Special Xmas Present from Finland!

***

I will let you know a solution after a week – be patient.

Have a nice weekend and

Cheers, Raimo Toivio

[img]cid:CB52180F6D77475ABFF27BD7CAC0E655(at)Asus[/img]
Europa XS Mono OH-XRT #417
Updated flight hours /landings: 258,3

37500 Lempaala
FINLAND

p +358-3-3753 777
f +358-3-3753 100

toivio(at)fly.to (toivio(at)fly.to)
www.rwm.fi

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png
 Filesize:  58.84 KB
 Viewed:  12466 Time(s)

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png

Europa_2011_vibration_grill_party.jpg
 Filesize:  239.8 KB
 Viewed:  12466 Time(s)

Europa_2011_vibration_grill_party.jpg

Europa_2011_just_before_test_flight.jpg
 Filesize:  109.09 KB
 Viewed:  12466 Time(s)

Europa_2011_just_before_test_flight.jpg

Europa_2011_just_before_shakeing.jpg
 Filesize:  181.65 KB
 Viewed:  12466 Time(s)

Europa_2011_just_before_shakeing.jpg

Europa_2011_going_fast.jpg
 Filesize:  148.6 KB
 Viewed:  12466 Time(s)

Europa_2011_going_fast.jpg

Back to top
houlihan(at)blueyonder.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

My wild guess

Part or all of your propeller leading edge protection had come away on one blade.

Tim

On 1 October 2011 20:44, Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi (raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi)> wrote:
[...]

 Viewed:  12462 Time(s)

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png

Back to top
rambug

Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Location: Montréal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

Hi Raimo,
Glad to see all turned for the best.
As for the cause of your vibrations, I'm taking a guess for a leaf that wrapped itself onto the leading edge of one of your prop's blades.

I'd say it feels a bit high for it to be at 500' AGL but with a lot of wind, in autumn I guess it would be plausible.

Cheers,
Luc

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 21:44, Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi (raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi)> wrote:
[...]

p [url=tel:%2B358-3-3753%20777]+358-3-3753 777[/url]
f [url=tel:%2B358-3-3753%20100]+358-3-3753 100[/url]

toivio(at)fly.to (toivio(at)fly.to)
www.rwm.fi

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png
 Filesize:  58.84 KB
 Viewed:  12462 Time(s)

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png

_________________
Luc Michaud
Europa Monowheel A059
Canadian Registration C-GLOB (in progress)
Montreal, Québec, Canada
zwakie

Joined: 03 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

Wild guess: lost a prop balancing weight?

Marcel Zwakenberg
Europa XS TG || 912ULS || PH-SBR
klinefelter.kevin(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

I would guess something wrong with one carburator.

Kevin

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 21:44, Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi> wrote:

> [...]
> as well as I can. I found something. Very small evidence but something
> anyway. I tried to fix it and had a test run. I elected to go to fly – hey
> am a test pilot who else – and She was better than ever!
>
> I managed to do 2 touches and goes when C172 did one with same runway.
>
> 140 knots during downwind makes me always happy.
>
> ***
>
> So – dear Ladies and Gentlemen – what was wrong?
>
> It would be nice and very life-useful to hear your opinions or guesses
> what
> was wrong.
>
> ***
>
> The Rules: one single guess per person, please.
>
> The Prize: The Best Guess will get a Very Special Xmas Present from
> Finland!
>
> ***
>
> I will let you know a solution after a week – be patient.

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

Raimo,
My guess it was some propeller imbalance caused by either a stone strike and a little dent in the propeller or sometime small left on one of the propellers, insect or bug 'finished off' on a propeller.
If I am only allowed one guess it would be an insect come bug of some type from Finland.

Cheers,

Tim
Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221
On 2/10/2011, at 12:38 PM, Kevin Klinefelter <klinefelter.kevin(at)gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

>> as well as I can. I found something. Very small evidence but something
>> anyway. I tried to fix it and had a test run. I elected to go to fly – hey
>> am a test pilot who else – and She was better than ever!
>>
>> I managed to do 2 touches and goes when C172 did one with same runway.
>>
>> 140 knots during downwind makes me always happy.
>>
>> ***
>>
>> So – dear Ladies and Gentlemen – what was wrong?
>>
>> It would be nice and very life-useful to hear your opinions or guesses
>> what
>> was wrong.
>>
>> ***
>>
>> The Rules: one single guess per person, please.
>>
>> The Prize: The Best Guess will get a Very Special Xmas Present from
>> Finland!
>>
>> ***
>>
>> I will let you know a solution after a week – be patient.

jimpuglise(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

Troy, my guess is that you had a mid-air with a Finnish mosquitoe.  That would be plenty to unbalance your prop.

Jim Puglise
A283

--> Europa-List message posted by: Tim Ward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz>

Raimo,
My guess it was some propeller imbalance caused by either a stone strike and a little dent in the propeller or sometime small left on one of the propellers, insect or bug 'finished off' on a propeller.
If I am only allowed one guess it would be an insect come bug of some type from Finland.

Cheers,

Tim
Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221
On 2/10/2011, at 12:38 PM, Kevin Klinefelter <klinefelter.kevin(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Kevin Klinefelter <klinefelter.kevin(at)gmail.com>

> [...]

>> as well as I can. I found something. Very small evidence but something
>> anyway. I tried to fix it and had a test run. I elected to go to fly – hey
>> am a test pilot who else – and She was better than ever!
>>
>> I managed to do 2 touches and goes when C172 did one with same runway.
>>
>> 140 knots during downwind makes me always happy.
>>
>> ***
>>
>> So – dear Ladies and Gentlemen – what was wrong?
>>
>> It would be nice and very life-useful to hear your opinions or guesses
>> what
>> was wrong.
>>
>> ***
>>
>> The Rules: one single guess per person, please.
>>
>> The Prize: The Best Guess will get a Very Special Xmas Present from
>> Finland!
>>
>> ***
>>
>> I will let you know a solution after a week – be patient.

<========================

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

Raimo,

Could have been a missing or loose propeller spinner hub bolt?

Angus Ward,
Tim’s son

Tim Ward,
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch 8052
New Zealand

Ph; 03 3515166
Mob; 0210640221

email; ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

[...]

[img]cid:9CA73177CC4F48149E2846DEF2B4FE9F(at)OwnerPC[/img]
Europa XS Mono OH-XRT #417
Updated flight hours /landings: 258,3

37500 Lempaala
FINLAND

p +358-3-3753 777
f +358-3-3753 100

toivio(at)fly.to (toivio(at)fly.to)
www.rwm.fi

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png
 Filesize:  58.84 KB
 Viewed:  12435 Time(s)

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png

Back to top
stephan(at)scassel.se
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

Hi Raimo,

Very happy that everything vent ok.

Your story sounds very familiar:

Two years ago I had a serious prop failure with my WoodComp SR2000.
One blade stopped due traverse drive failure. This blade had 6-8 degrees (or even more) different pitch compared
with the other two. Must say that I was extremely happy that it was not during an English Channel crossing.

I found out that the travers drive that had collapsed, had no grease on. Totally dry! It was the travers drive behind the control unit (stop-switch).
When I disassembled the prop, the grease on each prop-blade connection to the hub has become very hard.

I talked to Jiri, at WoodComp, and they told me that I should use another grease as they also have found out that the original grease
was not good (in fact very bad)

Every WoodComp SR2000 users should:

1. Disassemble the prop every 200 hours or less and grease all connections. Use Aero Shell 7 (according to WoodComp)
2. Every annual grease the travers drive. Use Molicote (according to WoodComp).
3. Every annual grease the gear box . Use plenty of Vaseline (according to WoodComp)

Now and then clock the time between fine and coarse. It should not take more then 15 seconds. WoodComp say that you can accept
30 seconds but I think that is too much. My prop has now 12 seconds and I will suspect the servo motor or need for new grease when it
takes more then 15-17 seconds.

This is very important !! If the hub connections is not greased well enough, the travers drive will be overloaded and will sooner or later collapse.

WoodComp has excellent HTML based document how the maintain the prop.

Best regards,
Stephan
LN STE Kit 556

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

All

I have got plenty of good guesses via list and also direct.
Some of you have hoped I will not publish them with their names and do not worry I wont´t.

Graham – I /we got an empty message from you – please retype it – I am sure it will be a good info.

One of you have guessed the problem was because a broken de-icing rubber in the prop blade. That´s good but unfortunately my Europa is so far still missing de-icing systems totally. They would be soon very useful in Finland.

***

No one has so far found a reason for my vibra.

So there are still a possibility to get an Xmas packet from Finland.
I quarantee the shipment will be worth of making a good guess.

***
Tips:

- the reason was off /on or black /white –type and very easy to repair; it was fixed in seconds.
- when finally found it was not invisible at all.

Go On!

Cheers, Raimo OH-XRT

[...]

[img]cid:E62DD82B7A9B4CC3A62102CC0167144D(at)Asus[/img]
Europa XS Mono OH-XRT #417
Updated flight hours /landings: 258,3

37500 Lempaala
FINLAND

p +358-3-3753 777
f +358-3-3753 100

toivio(at)fly.to (toivio(at)fly.to)
www.rwm.fi

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png
 Filesize:  58.84 KB
 Viewed:  12415 Time(s)

Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png

Back to top
gregoryf.flyboy(at)comcas
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

Here is a guess.

The rubber equalizing tube connecting the carbs had vibrated off..

Regards,

Greg

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

fklein(at)orcasonline.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

Raimo...I'm asking for a clue...by any chance, did you have a cat onboard during this event?...Fred
On Oct 2, 2011, at 8:58 AM, Raimo Toivio wrote:
[quote] All

I have got plenty of good guesses via list and also direct.

[b]

stranfaer(at)btinternet.c
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

Raimo
My guess was the fuel filler cap left off?
Yes I have done this!
Rgds
David the other one

Sent from the iPad of David Joycewww.eastmidsspas.com
On 2 Oct 2011, at 18:43, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)> wrote:

[quote]Raimo...I'm asking for a clue...by any chance, did you have a cat onboard during this event?...Fred
On Oct 2, 2011, at 8:58 AM, Raimo Toivio wrote:
Quote:
All

I have got plenty of good guesses via list and also direct.

[b]

yck.laurens(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

perhaps one of the carb vent small tube disconnected ?

regards

yannick LAURENS

F PSCZ

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

Raimo,
Two thoughts.

Fuel starvation with the fuel pumps not turned on for take off?
Cheers,
Hannah
Tim daughter
Tim Ward12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz)
Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221

On 3/10/2011, at 4:58 AM, "Raimo Toivio" <raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi (raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi)> wrote:

[...]

<Europa%20A2A-ala2OK[1].png>
Europa XS Mono OH-XRT #417
Updated flight hours /landings: 258,3

37500 Lempaala
FINLAND

p +358-3-3753 777
f +358-3-3753 100

toivio(at)fly.to (toivio(at)fly.to)
www.rwm.fi

[b]

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

Raimo,
The other is carb heat left on for take off?
Cheers,
Toby,
Tim's other son

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

choke spring
Kevin

On 3/10/2011, at 4:58 AM, "Raimo Toivio" <raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi> wrote:

> All
>
> I have got plenty of good guesses via list and also direct.
> Some of you have hoped I will not publish them with their names and do not
> worry I wont´t.
>
> Graham – I /we got an empty message from you – please retype it – I am
> sure it will be a good info.
>
> One of you have guessed the problem was because a broken de-icing rubber
> in the prop blade. That´s good but unfortunately my Europa is so far still
> missing de-icing systems totally. They would be soon very useful in
> Finland.
>
> ***
>
> No one has so far found a reason for my vibra.
>
> So there are still a possibility to get an Xmas packet from Finland.
> I quarantee the shipment will be worth of making a good guess.
>
> ***
> Tips:
>
> - the reason was off /on or black /white –type and very easy to repair; it
> was fixed in seconds.
> - when finally found it was not invisible at all.
>
> Go On!
>
> Cheers, Raimo OH-XRT

europapa

Joined: 30 Aug 2010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy In-flight Vibration Riddle Reply with quote

Don t want to thing about x-mes jet but nice game.

A spark plug connector went of?

Happy flying

Juergen

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next