parking brake valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
cjhukill(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

I read with interest about the folks that had leakage of their Matco PV-1 valve. I bought mine from Vans back in 06 and wonder what vintage of these valves have problems. I am about to close up the forward section of the fuselage, and thus make the access to the valve difficult. I have tested all the brake lines with compressed air during the tunnel work, but I don't remember testing the valve. Does anyone know which valves may have problems and how to identify such. Also what tests short of pumping brake fluid under pressure would reveal a defect (not really an option for me yet).
Chris Hukill
worlds slowest builder
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
dmaib(at)mac.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

I bought mine back in 06 or 07 from Van's and have had no problems with it. Also have had no problems with my brake cylinders. About 400 hours on the airplane to date.

David Maib
40559
Flying

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

Revisit the compressed air test and spray soapy water over the valve. Air will show up easier than the fluid will in the short term. However, the higher pressures on the brake fluid will show up later on.
Wipe up the water as best you can.
Linn

On 9/1/2011 9:49 AM, Chris Hukill wrote: [quote] I read with interest about the folks that had leakage of their Matco PV-1 valve. I bought mine from Vans back in 06 and wonder what vintage of these valves have problems. I am about to close up the forward section of the fuselage, and thus make the access to the valve difficult. I have tested all the brake lines with compressed air during the tunnel work, but I don't remember testing the valve. Does anyone know which valves may have problems and how to identify such. Also what tests short of pumping brake fluid under pressure would reveal a defect (not really an option for me yet).
Chris Hukill
worlds slowest builder
Quote:

[b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
kearney

Joined: 20 Sep 2008

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

Hi Chris

Mine was the older style. The problem I had was not unusual. I strongly suggest finding a way to get brake fluid into the system for testing. In my case the problem was weeping after the brakes set. It took a day or so for the "weep" to show around the fittings.

Unless the leaks are significant, it may be difficult to spot soap bubbles around the fittings especially if access is tight. I used Kleenex wrapped around the fittings after a few hours to detect leaks. Fluid shows upvalve bright red stain. Even a very small one.

In the case of my master cylinder, the bottom fitting is weeping with just static pressure. Again it takes a few days for a drop of fluid to show. I replaced the fitting in this location and used lots pipe sealant  but it still leaks.  I plan to pull the cylinder and bench check. This will be a major PITA.

Cheers

Les

Sent from my iPhone

On 2011-09-01, at 8:49 AM, Chris Hukill wrote:

I read with interest about the folks that had leakage of their Matco PV-1 valve. I bought mine from Vans back in 06 and wonder what vintage of these valves have problems. I am about to close up the forward section of the fuselage, and thus make the access to the valve difficult. I have tested all the brake lines with compressed air during the tunnel work, but I don't remember testing the valve. Does anyone know which valves may have problems and how to identify such. Also what tests short of pumping brake fluid under pressure would reveal a defect (not really an option for me yet).
Chris Hukill
worlds slowest builder

---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

At this point, I'm thinking that the PV-1 design is subject to leaks unless the factory has done the mod to insert O-rings on the fittings leading to the master cylinders. That's what I gathered from the list, and from talking to a guy at Matco. Assuming the leak is in the 'front' or master cylinder side, they will take it back, do the mod, and send it back to me.

It is a PITA. I'm flying right now with fluid weeping from the device everytime I use the brakes. Run-up is the worse. I did attempt to torque the fittings down harder to no avail. To remove the device is to stop flying ((at) 10hours!!).

I'm getting ready to replace it with a bracket that should support all 4 fittings at least long enough to get the factory mod. In essence, all I'm doing is returning to the orginal factory design. So, I'll drain all the fluid, install bracket, refill and bleed, then return the unit for modification, then drain again, re-install brake, refill and bleed. It might be the perfect opportunity to use some of the super high temp fluid.... or not.

I'd talk to Matco and see if they will do the mod independent of whether it leaks. That would save the awkward, after-first-flight operation I'm doing right now.

Or just drop the dime and get their new one.

Or best of all, as my Tech Counselor expounded on when I showed him the brake additions, "I don't believe in parking brakes. You can't trust them overnight, they can leak, etc, I wouldn't put one on there if it was my plane". He's batting .999 so far.

The main reason I chose to put it on there is my experience with my tailwheel Maule. A smooth ramp with a little slope, some wind, or some prop blast and the thing will be rolling. It's not the same with the '10. I mainly need a good rudder lock and a rear panel bracket for my Bogy Bar like Dave S. has.

Bill "starting to like the taste of brake fluid, not!" Watson

[...]

msausen

Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend that the parking break valve be used for long periods, they are really intended to provide temporary relief or until you can tie down. Incidentally, there was really no one run of the old PV1 style that had the problem. It was the deign which is why they redesigned it.

Michael

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
mregoan(at)hispeed.ch
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

Our local airport has a sloping ramp by the fuel pumps. Last year I was waiting behind a Diamond Twin Star to fuel up whilst the owner had wandered off somewhere. As the DA-42 started to roll backwards I ran over and stuck my foot behind the main tire when the tail was only about 2ft away from the brick hangar wall.

5 minutes later the owner turns up and asks me what the f!?* I’m doing hanging around underneath his plane.

Since then I believe firmly in parking brakes. Does a -10 really not roll that well?

Gordon Anderson
#41015 (reinforcing wingtip nutplate holes)

[/b][/quote]http://forums.matronics.com[/url] - List Contribution Web generous nbsp;   --> http://www.matronics.com/c=[/b] [b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

Some would point out that chocks are what's required. Arguable. I chose a parking brake, but I'm sick of the leak.

Bill "a piece of Steelhead finally killed the brake fluid taste in my mouth" Watson

On 9/1/2011 3:36 PM, Gordon Anderson wrote: [quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

http://www.matronic=================http://forums.matronics.com - List Contribution Web generous nbsp; --> http://www.matronics.com/c=

[b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

FWIW, I had leaks on both left brakes from one of the fittings. I'm
sure I torqued it as hard as I dared at the time, but I managed to get
another 180deg turn out of all of them. No sealant, no leaks now.

On 9/1/2011 11:03 AM, LES KEARNEY wrote:
Quote:
In the case of my master cylinder, the bottom fitting is weeping with just static pressure. Again it takes a few days for a drop of fluid to show. I replaced the fitting in this location and used lots pipe sealant but it still leaks. I plan to pull the cylinder and bench check. This will be a major PITA.

Cheers

Les

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

Chocks are worthless while you are parked on a slope, solo, with no one
to help hold the plane to get out and install the chocks. Ditto in
strong winds. Parking brake is to hold airplane just long enough to
secure it by other means.

On 9/1/2011 2:56 PM, Bill Watson wrote:
Quote:
Some would point out that chocks are what's required. Arguable. I
chose a parking brake, but I'm sick of the leak.

Bill "a piece of Steelhead finally killed the brake fluid taste in my
mouth" Watson

On 9/1/2011 3:36 PM, Gordon Anderson wrote:

> Our local airport has a sloping ramp by the fuel pumps. Last year I
> was waiting behind a Diamond Twin Star to fuel up whilst the owner
> had wandered off somewhere. As the DA-42 started to roll backwards I
> ran over and stuck my foot behind the main tire when the tail was
> only about 2ft away from the brick hangar wall.
>
> 5 minutes later the owner turns up and asks me what the f!?* I’m
> doing hanging around underneath his plane.
>
> Since then I believe firmly in parking brakes. Does a -10 really not
> roll that well?
>
> Gordon Anderson
>
> #41015 (reinforcing wingtip nutplate holes)

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

Guys, what is the maximum air pressure that the brake lines and parking brake valve should be tested at please?

I'm nearing that stage.

Kind regards

Patrick Pulis
Adelaide, South Australia

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
jdriggs49(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

That reminds me of the last time I was out in SoCal visiting our youngest daughter and husband. We were getting ready to fly out of Redlands and I was prepping the plane when a guy hollered at me to help him. When I got over there he was trying to chock his 172 with his left foot. He asked me to hold the plane while he ran inside and took a leak. He looked desperate so I was happy to help him. When he came back I asked him if the parking brake was working. He really didn't even know what I was talking about. He said it was his first long XC and back in Carlsbad they never used a parking brake as it was flat. He was amazed to see there actually was a brake.

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 17:56:17 -0400
From: Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV10-List: parking brake valve

Some would point out that chocks are what's required.  Arguable.  I chose a parking brake, but I'm sick of the leak.

Bill "a piece of Steelhead finally killed the brake fluid taste in my mouth" Watson

On 9/1/2011 3:36 PM, Gordon Anderson wrote: [quote] .ExternalClass p.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";color:black;} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass pre {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";color:black;} .ExternalClass span.ecxHTMLPreformattedChar {font-family:Consolas;color:black;} .ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle19 {font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D;} .ExternalClass .ecxMsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} (at)page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;} .ExternalClass div.ecxSection1 {page:Section1;}
[...]

<pr          -="" the="" rv10-list="" list="" utilities="" such="" as="" photoshare,="" and="" much=""   ="" -->="" [url=http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List]http://www.matronic=================[/url]<nbsp;    -="" matronics="" web="" forums="" via="" the=""   ="" -->="" [url=http://forums.matronics.com]http://forums.matronics.com[/url]         - List Contribution Web generous nbsp;                        --> [url=http://www.matronics.com/contribution]http://www.matronics.com/c=
Quote:

[/url]</nbsp;   ></pr         >
[url=http://www.matronics.com/contribution] [/url]
Quote:

ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
lank">http://forums.matronics.com
rget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

The brake system from the master cylinders to the brake puck will see far greater pressures than you'll possibly get with your compressor.
Linn

On 9/1/2011 7:55 PM, Patrick Pulis wrote: [quote] Guys, what is the maximum air pressure that the brake lines and parking brake valve should be tested at please?

I'm nearing that stage.

Kind regards

Patrick Pulis
Adelaide, South Australia

Quote:

[b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
dave.saylor.aircrafters(a
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

We did some troubleshooting on a brake system a few months ago that
included putting a pressure gauge at the caliper inlet. We were
seeing around 800 PSI at full pedal force.

Dave Saylor
AirCrafters
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville, CA 95076
831-722-9141 Shop
831-750-0284 Cell

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Patrick Pulis <rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
Quote:
Guys, what is the maximum air pressure that the brake lines and parking
brake valve should be tested at please?

I'm nearing that stage.

Kind regards

Patrick Pulis
Adelaide, South Australia

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
rv10flyer

Joined: 25 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: parking brake valve Reply with quote

Thanks Dave...I can put my 1000 psi gage away as I was going to test that.

Patrick,
If i was going to air/nitrogen pressure test the system, I would disconnect lines at tee ftg on back side of reservoir as I would not want to blow it up. Install a tee ftg between the two open ends and connect to a regulated air/nitrogen source. Pressurize to 100 psi with an accurate gage attached. Shut everything off and monitor pres gage for a few hours. If pres goes down a lb or so then stabilizes you are ok. If it continues to drop get out your soap bubble solution. Make sure you did not use ez turn/fuel lube as it may not withstand the 800 psi later on. I may just bleed them and pass on the pres test, have not decided.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Wayne G.
fdombroski

Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Location: Westfield NJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: parking brake valve Reply with quote

My Valve was purchased from Vans at about the same time. It was leaking from the shaft seal, especially when under pressure (parking brake set). I had to remove it and send it back for replacement. No cost, but a pain in the back!

I used some couplers to plumb my brake lines together so I could fly while it was out for repair. Good luck

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Frank Dombroski
Multiple Offender RV-8, 7A, 10 x 2
RV-10 2.0 N46VT 2015
KSMQ Somerset Airport NJ
iansdad

Joined: 06 Aug 2011

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

Anyone know if someone sells a mounting bracket for the Matco parking brake valve? I am a poor designer and even worse at fabricating so looking for short cut.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
sean(at)stephensville.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

AirWard does...

http://www.airward.com/amelia/search.asp?store=airward&action=Search&ShowDetails=True&ShowImages=True&cat=10000006&subcat_10000003=10000006

-Sean #40303 (painting fuse interior)

On 9/4/11 12:36 PM, Roxanne Lefever wrote:
Quote:

Anyone know if someone sells a mounting bracket for the Matco parking
brake valve? I am a poor designer and even worse at fabricating so
looking for short cut.

*
*

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
hotwheels

Joined: 01 Jun 2007

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: parking brake valve Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I pulled my PV-1 out and sent it in for re-work. The timing was perfect as my panel isn't yet in place. Re-work was simply adding two countersinks to allow the gaskets to seal better. I don't know how the change will work as I'm not yet using the valve.

Cheers,
Jay

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: parking brake valve Reply with quote

Glad to hear that. I put mine back in and re-bled the system. Haven't
put in service yet but no leaks so far.

Frankly, I'm still not clear on where the countersinks were done but no
matter.

Bill

On 9/21/2011 1:47 PM, jayb wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for posting this. I pulled my PV-1 out and sent it in for re-work. The timing was perfect as my panel isn't yet in place. Re-work was simply adding two countersinks to allow the gaskets to seal better. I don't know how the change will work as I'm not yet using the valve.

Cheers,
Jay

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours