JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground.

budyerly(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Please don't overanalyze the Jab vs Rotax decision.
Kevin is right, it is apples and oranges.

Those of us near sea level, you are fine with a normally aspirated engine.
For those flying out of 5000 foot MSL airstrips and climbing in and out of mountains, you can't beat a turbo.
If you want super long range (ouch my bladder hurts) you need to look at specific fuel consumption or cruise fuel flows.
My Europa trigear holds 20 US gallons useable (yea the new tank holds a bit more) and at 4.5 gallons an hour, it exceeds my bladder capacity.
Geared vs direct drive is a mute point. They both work. Geared turns the prop a bit slower, direct is a shorter prop. This is not a factor for the Europa's prop limit of 64 inches. The Jab runs on AV gas, and Aviation consumables and has a higher specific fuel consumption. The Rotax can run on car gas without problems and is very economical at cruise, and performs well at higher altitude... (It also gives neat airshow departures.) Cooling is not an issue in my bird at all during climb or takeoff. But there are those pesky hoses and the coolant radiator to fool with in 5 years when I better change them.

I have found my early early 914 is not the engine of the new 914s. The new Jabiru 3300 is not the same engine as the original solid lifter engines. Kit manufacturers who saddled themselves with only one engine choice have come up with carburetor, cowl and cooling changes which have made their engines more user friendly for their aircraft. There are some idiots flying with Celsius info in the EFIS and telling the prospective buyer the engine is running super cool. Thankfully, no one I know is doing that on purpose. Rest assured, any changes from the primary engine recommended by the aircraft manufacturer will need some tinkering.

Truth be known, I don't have time to tinker on my own plane anymore, so I need a lazy mans fire wall forward for the trigear.
That is why I have a Rotax and an Airmaster Prop. To me it is just easier to maintain and work on this combination. It is as close to FADEC as I can get with my wallet. Climb and dive, winter or summer, just smack the throttle around and it takes it. No oil leaks, shock cooling, taxi cooling, or noisy prop noise requiring ANR headsets to limit my flying. Although those pesky leaky tires required me to make new wheel pants for easy filling since it sits a lot...

We are tinkering with the setup right now of the older model Jab and Rotax in the shop. Tuning is an issue. When the storm damage is fixed, we'll fly more and report back. Same with the Airmaster two blade vs three. The setbacks we've had have slowed us down and removed labor and financial assets, but we will press on.

Note: Keep your ear to the ground as the recent storm damage across the US has left many aircraft owners with totaled aircraft, but they still have engines, and sales may be on the horizon.

We have a new US owner. They are Mike and Erin DePeugh of Pekin Il. Ken Gresham flew him in his Europa and he was hooked. I'll send some pictures as soon as his plane and he arrives at the shop in May.

Have a great week. I am off to my son's graduation and will have my first 4 day in a row break since 2006. Ed and Chris will run the shop as I may not want to come back to work.

Regards,
Bud

[quote] ---

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

Enjoy yourself Bud, at our age pleasure comes before duty! At mine it does anyway!
Good luck to your son, he will need a lot of wisdom and survival skills to pay off Ben Bernanke debts, unfortunately.
My son is busy paying off the British bankers debts. And their bonuses dammitt!
Graham

[...]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Now Graham,
You know it costs a lot to live in Washington and London. Those suits don't come cheap.
We must all sacrifice for the greater good of the leaders. Just look at all the good things they do.
Why there's...UH ...and UH, well there is something good they do, otherwise we wouldn't put up with them.

Just a bit of sarcasm.

Regards,
Bud
[quote] ---

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

I'd call it dry whit Bud! I sense a growing frustration though,  the obscene gap between the the top 1 % who ruined our economies and the middle 80% who create the wealth they waste. The another spark from the fire already burning in the Arab world!
Better stop, I can get boring !Smile
Graham
You know it costs a lot to live in Washington and London. Those suits don't come cheap.
We must all sacrifice for the greater good of the leaders. Just look at all the good things they do.
Why there's...UH ...and UH, well there is something good they do, otherwise we wouldn't put up with them.

Just a bit of sarcasm.

Regards,
Bud
[quote] ---

jeff(at)rmmm.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

Nothing boring about it, because if things stay pointed in the direction they are, we soon won't have anything to fly.
It's brewing over here as well Graham. Some call it the Tea Party while others just feel better saying it's conservative thinking but we are all self responsibility types.
We are all getting rather tired of the few wanna tax & spend liberal hollywood types getting into our pockets and running this country into the ground. There is no difference between a dictator and a politician if all the politicians come from the same current mold as each other. Talk great to get elected that do the same dam thing.
It's time for a business man to run this country not a lawyer or career politician. Perhaps it should be the same over there?Anyone out there that agrees should go to www.fairtax.org Unbelievable fix to a lot of things and they need all our help to get thru.
Jeff R. N128LJ Gold Rush

On Apr 18, 2011, at 11:57 AM, GRAHAM SINGLETON wrote:
[quote]I'd call it dry whit Bud! I sense a growing frustration though, the obscene gap between the the top 1 % who ruined our economies and the middle 80% who create the wealth they waste. The another spark from the fire already burning in the Arab world!
Better stop, I can get boring !Smile
Graham
You know it costs a lot to live in Washington and London. Those suits don't come cheap.
We must all sacrifice for the greater good of the leaders. Just look at all the good things they do.
Why there's...UH ...and UH, well there is something good they do, otherwise we wouldn't put up with them.

Just a bit of sarcasm.

Regards,
Bud
[quote]---

fklein(at)orcasonline.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

On Apr 18, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Jeffrey Roberts wrote:

Quote:
We are all getting rather tired of the few wanna tax & spend liberal
hollywood types getting into our pockets and running this country
into the ground.

I'm always fascinated when someone takes it upon himself to speak on
behalf of "all" of us...and...it reveals to me just a hint of the
pitfalls we can land in when we go off-Europa-topic.

Fred

do not archive

gregoryf.flyboy(at)comcas
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

On Apr 18, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Jeffrey Roberts wrote:
' Nothing boring about it, because if things stay pointed in the direction
they are, we soon won't have anything to fly. '

Amen, I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with this. This kind of makes the topic valid
for us plane flyers, IMHO doesn't it? Granted, it can be rather sensitive to
some. I would be happy if Jeff spoke for almost every last one of us, so I
never will quite be, will I?

Not trying to offend, just trying to take back some of the liberties we lose
on a daily basis, every time those in the same mold meets! If 'we' don't
force ourselves to activate, others will, and have been, doing it for us.

Greg (taking my foot out of my mouth now)
You might be right though Fred, it might stir the pot up a bit?

Absolutely and for sure,

Do not Archive

fklein(at)orcasonline.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

On Apr 18, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Greg Fuchs wrote:
Quote:

You might be right though Fred, it might stir the pot up a bit?

Absolutely and for sure,

Greg...all I ask is for words to be chosen carefully...words have power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
If I'm sensitive, I'm particularly sensitive when someone purports to speak on my behalf uninvited by using a presumed, collective "we"...think about it...I say there's much more power when one speaks his truth and implicitly allows for others to have their own.
Fred
do not archive

gregoryf.flyboy(at)comcas
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

Fred,

I really appreciate your sensitivities, and I agree with the your statements on speaking ones own truth, and allowing others to speak theirs..

Your communication may be better than mine (and you may have had a bad instance, which made you particularily sensitive to someone speaking for you....am I being too touchy-feely?). I used to get upset when people said 'it happens all the time', or 'it will never be', or 'it is everywhere, or 'everyone thinks it'...........then I caught myself doing it too. I guess I am not perfect, either.

I cannot expect anyone to be more perfect than I, and I know I fail in my own standards all the time. I guess I heard the statement differently. The 'we' implies a particular group of people, not 'all' of us.

I suppose in a way, it makes me blind to some words, but it also protects me from getting upset all the time...but as you can see in your (truly moving) video, words do have power.

BEST Regards, and have a great afternoon, and forgive me in writing from a completely imperfect state, (this statement is NOT tongue in cheek, just simply truthful)

Greg

and of course...

do not archive

(just in case the other one doesn't take)

On Apr 18, 2011, at 12:2 6 PM, Greg Fuchs wrote:
Quote:

You might be right though Fred, it might stir the pot up a bit?

Absolutely and for sure,

Greg...all I ask is for words to be chosen carefully...words have power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If I'm sensitive, I'm particularly sensitive when someone purports to speak on my behalf uninvited by using a presumed, collective "we"...think about it...I say there's much more power when one speaks his truth and implicitly allows for others to have their own.

Fred

do not archive

[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

Fred
that's the trouble with words, they cannot be unsaid. And if one sayw something unforgiveable one won't be forgiven.
Graham
On Apr 18, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Greg Fuchs wrote:
Quote:

You might be right though Fred, it might stir the pot up a bit?

Absolutely and for sure,

Greg...all I ask is for words to be chosen carefully...words have power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
If I'm sensitive, I'm particularly sensitive when someone purports to speak on my behalf uninvited by using a presumed, collective "we"...think about it...I say there's much more power when one speaks his truth and implicitly allows for others to have their own.
Fred
do not archive

Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?_blank" href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

Jeff
wasn't it the ShruB created the biggest deficit in history and started all this QE, ?
Graham

--> Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)>
On Apr 18, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Jeffrey Roberts wrote:

Quote:
We are all getting rather tired of the few wanna tax & spend liberal hollywood types getting into our pockets and running this country into the ground.

I'm always fascinated when someone takes it upon himself to speak on behalf of "all" of us...and...it reveals to me just a hint of the pitfalls we can land in when we go off-Europa-topic.

F href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List" target="_blank">p; -Matt Dralle, Libution" =======

rlborger(at)mac.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

Graham,

The deficit increased considerably under Bush for the years 2003 - 2005 with the 2004 deficit reaching a record (at the time) $462.56 billion. The previous record being $438.5 billion in 1992. By 2006 it had almost been cut in half from the 2004 deficit and in 2007 it was down to a "mere" $165.24 billion. BHO's first year was a mind boggling $1,416 billion followed by $1,294 billion and for 2011 $1,650 billion.
Those are inflation adjusted numbers to 2011. If you looked at the non-inflation adjusted dollar amounts, the Bush years don't really look as bad.
What made Bush look bad was the fact he came in with a two year budget surplus and held a budget surplus through 2001. He had been expected to be more fiscally conservative than he turned out to be. The result of his unpopular spending was the abandonment of the Republican Party by the Conservative base in 2008 (they stayed home in droves on election day). So the Socialists won and we got BHO, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid & Co. and $4,360 billion debt generated in 3 years. Makes "ShruB," as you derisively put it, look downright thrifty.

Bob Borger

On Apr 18, 2011, at 17:53, GRAHAM SINGLETON wrote:
Quote:
Jeff
wasn't it the ShruB created the biggest deficit in history and started all this QE, ?
Graham

jeff(at)rmmm.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

Gram,Yes indeed it was the MR. Bush. In my opinion he was the worst until this one but in a somewhat different way. This one is really good at saying one thing then doing something else. Some seem to defend todays leadership by comparing it as better than Bush. They both have placed us on a collision course to what happened in Greece. Only this President seems to be speeding up the process.
Oh and Fred you have my apologizes. I was truly not trying to offend. I indeed should have said I and not we or us. I'm just really ticked off at whats happened in the last 10 years here. My only son is in the mountains of Afghanistan in the middle of a one year Army deployment. Needless to say we are very proud of him but scared to death. When I turn on the morning news I hear more about the royal wedding than what our young people are trying to accomplish and the sacrifices they and their families are making. I wonder if we would be trying to fight a polite political war if the idiots in Washington had their own sons fighting on the ground. Hell these poor soldiers can't even engage the enemy without pre approval. Needless to say politics are not one of my favorite subjects right now.
I will ask anyone that will, to take a few minutes and say a prayer for our soldiers.
I'm going to quit now as this forum needs to get back to solutions for the builder & flyers of our great Europa... which BTW I'm having a few but that can wait.
Regards,
Jeff N128LJ Gold Rush
On Apr 18, 2011, at 5:53 PM, GRAHAM SINGLETON wrote:
Quote:
Jeff
wasn't it the ShruB created the biggest deficit in history and started all this QE, ?
Graham

--> Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)>
On Apr 18, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Jeffrey Roberts wrote:

Quote:
We are all getting rather tired of the few wanna tax & spend liberal hollywood types getting into our pockets and running this country into the ground.

I'm always fascinated when someone takes it upon himself to speak on behalf of "all" of us...and...it reveals to me just a hint of the pitfalls we can land in when we go off-Europa-topic.

F href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List" target="_blank">p; -Matt Dralle, Libution" =======
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

Jeff
prayer sent for your son, and all the others.
I don't blame Oby but I seriously balme Bernake. The banks have us all over the barrel and are stripping us out. The politicians are all in hock to the banks and bbig biz.
Sorry for all this guys, I do get would up when I look back and see what they've all done. Worse, are doing it all again.
Back to aviation, "roll on electric!"
Graham

[...]

[b]

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: JABIRU etc. Keep your ear to the ground. Reply with quote

Hi Bob
I still blame the banks and Wall street. Politicians are just puppets usually