A-65 rebuild
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List
Tommy Walker

Location: Anniston, AL 36207

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: A-65 rebuild Reply with quote

All, the crank was tested at a well known service shop in Tulsa. I trust their findings, so I'm going to search for rebuilt or new crank. I've had prices of 3100 and 2800 for new, so that's probably where I'm headed unless a good deal on a used one pops up.

While the engine is going in an experimental, I don't want to trust anything to chance as far as the engine goes. I just got bit on this used O200 purchase.

Thanks, there's a lot of good information on the posts here. You guys have lots more information that I hope to access (one question at a time as suggested by Randy Smile ).

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List

_________________
Tommy Walker
N25A - Anniston, AL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Tommy Walker

Location: Anniston, AL 36207

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: A-65 rebuild Reply with quote

Deems, I'm the one building the O200.  Dave is building an A65.  Looking for a crank.

Thanks,
Tommy

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Deems Herring <dsleepy47(at)hotmail.com (dsleepy47(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Tommy, did I miss something? are you rebuilding an A-65 or an O-200?

The problem with the original cylinders is the threads where the liner threads into the head. If you didn't know the steel liners are threaded at the top and they screw into the aluminum heads. the way the threads are made in the aluminum of the old style cylinders creates a stress concentration point and the cylinders crack at the end of the threads and it is possible for the head to separate from the rest of the cylinder. The newer style cylinders have a different thread design. This is different from the cracking in the area of the valves which all small continentals are susceptible too and which can be repaired but do not expect repaired heads to last as long as they did before the repair. I would not consider head repairs on cylinders you do not have a 100% accurate history on. Here are some pictures of the kind of cracks that lead to separation: http://www.sacskyranch.com/eng82.htm and here is another place with good information on the O-200.

Deems

> From: n4546v(at)mindspring.com (n4546v(at)mindspring.com)
Quote:
To: continental-list(at)matronics.com (continental-list(at)matronics.com)

Quote:
Subject: Re: Re: A-65 rebuild
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 19:53:52 -0800

--> Continental-List message posted by: "Randy L. Thwing" <n4546v(at)mindspring.com (n4546v(at)mindspring.com)>

Quote:
Hello Tommy:

Yes, I am on most of the ZA lists. We have corresponded before.

The following contains many facts and a lot of my opinions. It is worth
> exactly what you are paying for it.

Quote:

If you have a O-200 that is used in a certified aircraft, with original
Continental cylinders identified by casting numbers, they are subject to
cylinder head cracking.

Quote:

st" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List

_________________
Tommy Walker
N25A - Anniston, AL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
MONTY(at)bpaengines.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: A-65 rebuild Reply with quote

Tommy,
No sir. I do not have one. Try Aircraft Specialties Services, 918-836-6872. Ask for Harold or Greg. IF they don't have one try Aircraft Engine and Accessories in
Dallas. Sorry I don't have their phone number butit shouldn't be hard to find.

Monty B.
[quote]
--

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List
Back to top
dsleepy47

Joined: 15 Dec 2007

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: A-65 rebuild Reply with quote

Sorry Tommy I guess I got lost with the subject line.
Try here: http://www.barnstormers.com/index.php and do a couple of searches for Continental or O-200, Tom Romanchik should have some ads there. All I know about him is that I have purchased a few O-200 parts from him and they have been as described and fairly priced, not cheap. YMMV

Good hunting.

Deems
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 07:52:49 -0600
From: twalker(at)cableone.net
To: continental-list(at)matronics.com

Deems, I'm the one building the O200.  Dave is building an A65.  Looking for a crank.

Thanks,
Tommy

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Deems Herring <dsleepy47(at)hotmail.com (dsleepy47(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Tommy, did I miss something? are you rebuilding an A-65 or an O-200?

The problem with the original cylinders

[b]

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List

_________________
dsleepy47
N1491R
Tommy Walker

Location: Anniston, AL 36207

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: A-65 rebuild Reply with quote

just a follow up re our O200 crank:

Aircraft Specialties Services has my case/crank/cam. They sent the case to Crankcase Services and it is being checked for defects.

If the case checks ok, then we will probably buy a new crank from Aircraft Specialties. We will probably buy our rings, bearings, etc from them too.

If the case is bad we are going to consider other options.

Thanks for all the comments. I learned a lot.

Tommy Walker in Alabama

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List

_________________
Tommy Walker
N25A - Anniston, AL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
oldernut

Location: Hendersonville NC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: A-65 rebuild Reply with quote

Hey Tommy, Good luck with your project.
Dave
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List
Tommy Walker

Location: Anniston, AL 36207

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: A-65 rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks Dave....I got lots to do!

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:15 AM, <SENTUCHOWS(at)aol.com (SENTUCHOWS(at)aol.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Hey Tommy, Good luck with your project.
    Dave
Quote:

Do Not Archive
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List

_________________
Tommy Walker
N25A - Anniston, AL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Tommy Walker

Location: Anniston, AL 36207

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A-65 rebuild Reply with quote

Hi folks and Randy, Smile

How can I tell if my cylinders meet the specs for the new cylinders Randy calls out in his email from a couple of months ago?.... See below.

Thanks!
If you have a O-200 that is used in a certified aircraft, with original
Continental cylinders identified by casting numbers, they are subject to
cylinder head cracking.

O-200's specs call for ignition timing of 28 degrees BTDC and a redline of
2800 rpm. Because of the head cracking problem, there is a three decades
old AD that requires the timing to be retarded to 24 degrees BTDC. This
decreases horsepower in an effort to alleviate the cylinder head cracking.

Is this cracking a result of cylinder head design geometery or the fact that
these cylinders were designed to run on 80 octane fuel which is no longer
available? I can't answer that. I do know that the cylinder head cracking
is real and does occur often.

These same cylinders are used on most the small Continental 4 cylinder
engines as well as the C-145/O-300 six cylinder engines. As the O-200 is
the only one that has the 2800 RPM redline, this AD doesn't apply to the
other engines as they don't turn as fast. Does that mean turning at a lower
RPM won't cause head cracking? That has not been my experience.

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List

_________________
Tommy Walker
N25A - Anniston, AL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
dsleepy47

Joined: 15 Dec 2007

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: A-65 rebuild Reply with quote

Go here: http://150cessna.tripod.com/c150o200ainsp.html

Deems
[quote] Subject: Re: A-65 rebuild
From: twalker(at)cableone.net
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 17:54:01 -0700
To: continental-list(at)matronics.com

--> Continental-List message posted by: "Tommy Walker" <twalker(at)cableone.net>

[...]

--------
Tommy Walker
N8701 - Anniston, AL

==============

Quote:
[b]

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List

_________________
dsleepy47
N1491R
n4546v(at)mindspring.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: A-65 rebuild Reply with quote

Do not archive

I have to offer a slight correction to my original post.

I am typing this with the Continental manual open in front of me on my desk.
The O-200 max rpm is 2750 rather than the 2800 I originally stated.

This is stated on page 3, table V; speed and power ratings. The O-200-A is
listed as 2750 rpm as takeoff rpm (max 1 minute)

Will try to find the AD that requires retarding the timing to 24 degress
BTDC which mentions cylinder casting numbers.

Randy, Las Vegas
---

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List
Back to top
n4546v(at)mindspring.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: A-65 rebuild Reply with quote

Do not archive

Hey Tommy:

Go here for the AD that describes the O-200 cylinder situation regarding
the AD:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/5FD3727F609E1E0686256848004B6075?OpenDocument

This AD supersedes the older AD that requires the timing change. I believe
it describes the cylinder casting numbers where the AD still applies.

You might have to review the older ADs referenced to truly determine what
you have.

Regards,

Randy, Las Vegas
---

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List
Back to top
Tommy Walker

Location: Anniston, AL 36207

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: A-65 rebuild Reply with quote

Deese and Randy,

Thanks for the help.

Tommy

--

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List

Tommy Walker
N25A - Anniston, AL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2

You cannot download files in this forum