Yak-List Digest: 6 Msgs - 03/03/11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
davisn

Joined: 07 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Yak-List Digest: 6 Msgs - 03/03/11 Reply with quote

Hi Guys
With regard to the discussion about bail outs versus emergency landing. Mark Bitterlich's comments are spot on.
To add my two cents:
Practice emergency approaches every chance you get.
If you are a sky diver and have jumps under your belt, then consider carefully the jump option.
Can you egress safely?
Will aircraft end up crashing in a "safe" area?
Has the aircraft stopped flying in spite of your control inputs?
JUMP!!
Case in point:
A4 NIGHT catapult shot fully loaded with bombs.
Radio and lights lost airborne.
Extremely high temperature air impinging on left thigh. Hot air flow reduces with reduced throttle. Flight controls OK, maintaining 500'.
CVA making 30 knots to recover returning strike.
Cannot bring bombs back aboard.
Decision:
Chances of surviving ejection on a black ass night in front of carrier doing 30 knots? Pretty slim.
Fly a "day approach" pattern to end up alongside LSO about 300'. NORDO, NO LIGHTS.
Jettison Bombs on SAFE alongside - gets attention.
Pull up and execute day approach, fitting into recovering pattern on CCA.
Trap aboard
Shut Down in gear. Hot air flow stops on shut down. Piss Off the flight deck crew who have to hook up tractor and pull clear to allow recovery to continue.
Time from cat shot to safe recovery: 15 minutes.
Explain actions to CVA skipper and CAG - immediately.
During explanation, squadron maintenance personnel advise emergency genuine. No lights, no radio and G suit fitting broken to allow hot air from engine into cockpit.
Had lots of practice? Yes, most FCLPs (Field Carrier Landing Practice) are conducted at night. Hundreds are completed before carrier quals.
Decision right? Go figure.
Cheers
Norm Davis Cdr USN ret.

From: "Bruce Thomas" <[url=mailto%3A%25e%25]bvthomas(at)bigpond.com[/url]>
Subject: Yak-List: Bail outs

I was taught when the noise stops

And cannot be restarted the aircraft now belongs to the insurance company

And you look after your butt first and last

Bruce
________________________________ Message 2 _____________________________________
Time: 12:16:42 PM PST US
Subject: RE: Re: April 2010 Yak 50 Engine Failure in UK
From: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E" <[url=mailto%3A%25e%25]mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil[/url]>
Question: When it seized, did it do any damage to the engine mounts?

Mark Bitterlich
--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

_________________
Norm Davis, CDR USN ret.
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Yak-List Digest: 6 Msgs - 03/03/11 Reply with quote

Guys,
Agree with all said. My personal decision to leave the A/C is a mindset that I have considered before leaving the ground. This decision is certainly fluid and it will be made based on the Emergency. Altitude, airspeed, terrain, fire, danger to the unsuspecting, controlled or uncontrolled egress/ejection (granted we don’t have that luxury) are all things that are be considered prior to stepping over the side. If the “wings off light is lite” I’m probably not going to get out anyway. The Gs and inertia will be such that egress will probably be impossible. The YAK in a fully developed spin is going to be tough to exit also.
I think I left the impression that I’m going to step over the side regardless. If so sorry but that is not the case. My mindset is that of “I will use the silk let down if I have to” if that unfortunate opportunity presents itself and can be accomplished with the best possible outcome. To say the decision is canned for every EP is not what was intended by the statement.
My engine stopping on T.O. 50 feet above the runway with 1500 ft of runway left in the YAK-50 stepping over the side  was not even a consideration. Getting the nose down, controlling airspeed (flying the airplane), ensuring gear still were down,  a radio call to 2 to abort T.O., electrical system off along with pull the fuel shut off valve, and landing straight ahead were the thoughts that went through my mind in the 3 to 4 seconds from prop stop to roll out. Stepping over the side was not even part of the mental checklist at that point.
The circumstances dictate the reaction. In some cases stepping over the side will not be an option. In others, the silk letdown will be.
Doc

=========================

=======================
EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive
=======================
Yak-List Digest Archive
---
----------------------

From: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E" <[url=mailto%3A%25e%25]mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil[/url]>
Question: When it seized, did it do any damage to the engine mounts?

Mark Bitterlich
--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
rick(at)rvairshows.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Yak-List Digest: 6 Msgs - 03/03/11 Reply with quote

Flying a 3 million dollar ww 2 fighter without hull insurance, owned by another, when the Merlin blew. I knew I would be killed by the owner if I jumped, so dead sticked the sick Spit onto a Gravel path. Sitting among test pilots, we all agreed after that incident with the owner that we would only bail if there was fire or loss of control. That's what you owe these treasures if you agree to fly them. In my sukhoi, I will bail unless I have closely examined the landing area.Note there are many reasons why a helmet should be part of parachute wear. Rick VOLKER
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: "Roger Kemp M.D." <viperdoc(at)mindspring.com>
Sender: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 14:47:31 -0600
To: <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
ReplyTo: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Yak-List: Re: Yak-List Digest: 6 Msgs - 03/03/11
Guys,
Agree with all said. My personal decision to leave the A/C is a = mindset that I have considered before leaving the ground. This decision = is certainly fluid and it will be made based on the Emergency. Altitude, = airspeed, terrain, fire, danger to the unsuspecting, controlled or = uncontrolled egress/ejection (granted we don=E2=80=99t have that luxury) = are all things that are be considered prior to stepping over the side. = If the =E2=80=9Cwings off light is lite=E2=80=9D I=E2=80=99m probably = not going to get out anyway. The Gs and inertia will be such that egress = will probably be impossible. The YAK in a fully developed spin is going = to be tough to exit also.
I think I left the impression that I=E2=80=99m going to step over the = side regardless. If so sorry but that is not the case. My mindset is = that of =E2=80=9CI will use the silk let down if I have to=E2=80=9D if = that unfortunate opportunity presents itself and can be accomplished = with the best possible outcome. To say the decision is canned for every = EP is not what was intended by the statement.
My engine stopping on T.O. 50 feet above the runway with 1500 ft of = runway left in the YAK-50 stepping over the side =C2=A0was not even a = consideration. Getting the nose down, controlling airspeed (flying the = airplane), ensuring gear still were down, =C2=A0a radio call to 2 to = abort T.O., electrical system off along with pull the fuel shut off = valve, and landing straight ahead were the thoughts that went through my = mind in the 3 to 4 seconds from prop stop to roll out. Stepping over the = side was not even part of the mental checklist at that = point.
The circumstances dictate the reaction. In some cases stepping over = the side will not be an option. In others, the silk letdown will = be.
Doc

With regard to the = discussion about bail outs versus emergency landing. Mark Bitterlich's = comments are spot on.

To = add my two cents:

Practice emergency = approaches every chance you = get.

If you are a sky diver and = have jumps under your belt, then consider carefully the jump = option.

Can you egress = safely?

Will aircraft end up = crashing in a "safe" area?

Has = the aircraft stopped flying in spite of your control = inputs?

JUMP!!<= /div>
 <= /div>
Case in = point:

A4 NIGHT catapult shot fully = loaded with bombs.

Radio and lights lost = airborne.

Extremely high temperature = air impinging on left thigh. Hot air flow reduces with reduced throttle. = Flight controls OK, maintaining 500'.

CVA = making 30 knots to recover returning = strike.

Cannot bring bombs back = aboard.

Decision:</= p>

[...]

Decision right? Go = figure.

 <= /div>
Cheers<= /div>
 <= /div>
Norm Davis Cdr USN = ret.

 <= div>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
  Online Versions of Today's = List Digest = Archive
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D

Today's complete Yak-List Digest can also be found = in either of the
two Web Links listed below.  The .html file = includes the Digest formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser = and features Hyperlinked Indexes
and Message Navigation.  The = .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
of the Yak-List Digest = and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with = a web browser.

HTML Version:

    [url=http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=3D82701&= View=3Dhtml&Chapter=3D2011-03-03&Archive=3DYak]http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=3D= 82701&View=3Dhtml&Chapter=3D2011-03-03&Archive=3DYak[/url]
<= br>Text Version:

    [url=http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=3D82701&= View=3Dtxt&Chapter=3D2011-03-03&Archive=3DYak]http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=3D= 82701&View=3Dtxt&Chapter=3D2011-03-03&Archive=3DYak[/url]

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
  EMail Version of Today's List Digest = Archive
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D
          = ----------------------------------------------------------
  =                     =     Yak-List Digest Archive
        =                     =           ---

From: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry = Point, MALS-14 64E" <[url=mailto%3A%25e%25]mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil[/url]>

-----Original = Message-----
From: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 = 64E" <[url=mailto%3A%25e%25]mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil[/url]>
Wit= hout a doubt a very interesting discussion and one where = valuable
information can be circulated in order for everyone to make = their own
personal decision based on accurate information. =

But even in the military it remains just that -- a personal = decision --
and it remains one with these aircraft as well.  = Certainly when the
"WING OFF" light comes on, the decision = is a no-brainer.  However there
are a lot of other factors that = have to be considered as well.  Jumping
out of your airplane = when it is over a highly residential area might be
the best thing to = do in order to save your own life, but what of others?
Is taking the = time to consider that factor less than smart?  Possibly.
However = I doubt anyone would condemn a pilot for at least considering
that = aspect of the decision.  In fact, MANY pilots who decided to = stay
with their aircraft are now referred to as "Hero's", = as well they should
be.

So I have to respectfully = disagree.  I think you can prepare "canned
situations" = where you can make the decision beforehand, but just like
going into = battle.... a lot of decisions have to be made right on the
spot and = sometimes there are factors that require you to think a little
bit = before you just turn upside down and release your seatbelt.  =

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 2:05 PM
A credit = to the pilot for bringing his aircraft to the ground safely = and
walking away from it.  However, reflecting on this = experience (and one
of my own), the pilot's decision to force land = vs. bale out troubles me.
Traditionally (at least in the = U.S.) we get a lot more training on how
to force land an aircraft = than how to bale out of it.  Whereas, in the

--------
Stewart Nicholson
Yak 52 = N122GC
Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=3D332517#33= 2517
________________________________  Message = 4  _____________________________________
Time: 01:24:50 = PM PST US
From: Eric Wobschall <[url=mailto%3A%25e%25]eric(at)buffaloskyline.com[/url]>
Subject: = Yak-List: Strong 304 chutes

I have two Strong 304 Warbird Seat = packs (standard harness). I purchased
them new about this time last = year, at which time they had a fresh pack.
With the new 6 month rule = and off-season, they haven't been re-packed
since then. These have = had only light use (especially the rear chute).
OD green, and has a = blue zip-on travel one inch cushion and a carry bag.
I'd like to = sell them together. Contact me off list. Thanks.

Eric D. = Wobschall
Buffalo Skyline
Buffalo-Lancaster Airport = (KBQR):
4343 Walden Avenue
Lancaster, NY 14086
Office:
2120 = Maple Road
Williamsville, NY = 14221-1922
716.208.5460
________________________________&nb= sp; Message 5  = _____________________________________
Time: 02:06:25 PM PST = US
From: Eric Wobschall <[url=mailto%3A%25e%25]eric(at)buffaloskyline.com[/url]>
Also= , we're so conditioned to land the airplane and it's just = counter-intuitive
to jump. On fire, uncontrollable or over impossible = terrain seem like no-brainers.
Other situations... tougher. =
On Mar 3, 2011, at 3:24 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det = Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E
wrote:

[quote]
[...]

markdavis(at)wbsnet.org
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Yak-List Digest: 6 Msgs - 03/03/11 Reply with quote

Great fun for Paddles that night waving a midnight Scooter not knowing what the emergency was! Maybe an approach light on the RAT to work with? A night approach using a PRC-63/90 never seemed like a realistic option single seat. You did what you were trained to do: aviate-navigate-communicate. (Good thing they weren't working MOVLAS!)

Mark Davis
N44YK
Former Garuda/Guntrain Paddles
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours