Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KIS TR-1 Propeller
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakerocb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

2/26/2011

Hello Alfred, You wrote: "........ I'll be using airfields at 6000 ft AMSL
at temperature of 35 to 40 degrees C."

That helps me understand your desire / need for more takeoff / climb RPM /
power out of your engine - prop combination than I am faced with.

The Prince propeller selection Wizard is a bit puzzling because it has two
different propeller recommendations for what appears to be the same airplane
and engine combination.

A) If you follow the input trail of "KIS TR 1 IO - 240 - 125HP" you wind up
with a 68 X 69 propeller recommendation. (Which is what I have.)

B) If you follow the input trail of "KISS - IO 240 - 125 HP" you wind up
with a 62 X 68 propeller recommendation.

See here:

http://www.princeaircraft.com/PriceOrder.aspx

One would think that the 62 X 68 prop would be more of a takeoff / climb
prop than the 68 X 69 version.
Maybe a conversation with Lonnie Prince is in order to sort out and refine /
clarify the recommendation.

'OC' Baker Says: "The best investment we can make is the time and effort to
gather and understand knowledge."

PS: What part of the world will you be operating in with those field /
density altitudes and temperatures?

==============================================
To: <bakerocb(at)cox.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:09 AM
Subject: RE: KIS landings
Thanks for the info on your propeller performance OC.

Thing is, I have to rig my plane for operating at density altitudes of
10,000+ feet because I'll be using airfields at 6000 ft AMSL at temperature
of 35 to 40 degrees C.

That's a different kettle of fish altogether. Hence the need for every ounce
of power I can get out of the engine at take-off.

Regards,
Alfred

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Hi OC,

Thanks for the info on your propeller performance.

Using the integrated airframe and propeller performance model which I created some weeks ago now, I have already determined that the best solution for me will be a 67 x 67 prop. Such propeller will also function optimally at 2300 rpm at 7500 feet for cruising. According to Lonnie the P-tip with 67 inch pitch will flex to such an extent under load that it will effectively present a 63 inch pitch during take-off/climb.

By the way, I found it puzzling that the Prince website talks about the propeller diameter being a factor in the flat plate drag of the aircraft. Because the propeller produces netto thrust which increases quadratically with diameter that statement initially failed to compute in my mind. On the other hand however, propeller parasitic losses do increase with diameter and rpm - so perhaps they are implicitly lumping propeller parasitic losses into the overall zero lift drag coefficient for the aircraft (and thereby also into the flat plate area). I have not encountered such point of view before, but it is the only interpretation which makes sense to me. One has to be very careful with that approach though, because the airspeed multiplier by which drag converts into power is of course completely different for the propeller and airframe.

It remains to obtain torque and thrust curves for a 67 x 67 propeller from Lonnie Prince and his team to confirm that my postulated propeller blade model is not too optimistic in terms of performance - nor too conservative.

Kind regards,
Alfred

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mantafs(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Hi Alfred,

One way to think about how the the propeller has "flat plate" drag is to think of the propeller without the engine. Imagine you just had a prop mounted to a shaft at the front of a glider. As you are gliding the prop will be spinning. Making it spin of course requires some energy. This is where the drag of the prop comes from. Just to overcome this prop drag you need to put some power into the prop.

It may also be useful to think about autogyros when thinking about prop disk drag.

So, depending on many factors, a larger prop is not always better. In general a larger prop is better at lower speed and a smaller prop is better at higher speed.

Mark

--

BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, so understood. That's why I said the prop has 'netto' thrust with the drag you refer to already subsumed/eliminated when thrust is produced by the prop.

Different of course during deceleration, dive, idle and (god forbid) engine failure.

Regard,
Alfred

mantafs(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Hello Alfred,

Actually the drag is not eliminated even when there is thrust. It is still there and adding to the total drag regardless of the engine power setting. Maybe you can say that first the engine's power goes to this drag but that would be nothing more than an accounting trick and is not actual.

A better accounting method would be to apply the engineering superposition principal. Maybe this is what you mean by subsumed.

In ways this is esoteric and maybe I am being pedantic, sorry.

Regards,
Mark
--

ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

If anyone it looking for a new fixed pitch prop you might check out Paul
Lipps' new design. He has had some pretty impressive results at the Reno Air
Races.
---

BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Thank you for the pointer Tim.

I looked it up and there appears to be close links between Catto and Lipps.

So, for replacing my now demised Chris Lodge prop I shall consider Catto, Prince P-tip and Idrovario as candidates.

Catto and Prince props are reasonably priced - don't have info on Idrovario pricing range yet.

Regards,
Alfred

BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Gents,

In late January I created a performance model for the KIS to aid my decision regarding a new propeller. Having consulted with Mark Ketttering off line I am now satisfied that the model is realistic.

Attached a view of the results for a particular point on the flight envelope.

There is one big caveat though and I hope the forum can help with that: I need a power curve for a O-240 or IO-240 engine to ensure that the engine power model is accurate.

I can only hope that someone on the forum has access to such information.

Anyways, take a look at the results. It seemed to work well enough for my plane (when it was still flying Confused )

Regards,
Alfred

TRI-R KIS Airframe + Propeller Drag & Power Model.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.79 KB
 Viewed:  12357 Time(s)

TRI-R KIS Airframe + Propeller Drag & Power Model.jpg

BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Ok, cancel that question about O-240 engine power curve. I hauled out the Rolls Royce overhaul manual for my engine and found a curve for the friction horse power (up to 22 hp at 2800 rpm). The manual makes it clear that friction horsepower is already discounted when in the rated b.h.p. figure of 130 hp at 2800 rpm.

So I simply matched a polynomial curve to the friction horse power curve and scaled it to 130 hp. Voila!

Result attached if you are interested. Scaled to suit rated hp, this curve would be quite accurate for the entire O-240 engine family.

Regards,
Alfred

RollsRoyce O-240 Engine Power Curve.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.75 KB
 Viewed:  12338 Time(s)

BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

With the aid of engine data provided by OC the engine power model has now been completed as per attachment.

Note: The charts in manufacturers' documentation often exclude the lower end of the rpm range (below ~1900) and therefore lines in those diagrams will appear to be straighter.

Description:
 Filesize:  77.56 KB
 Viewed:  12322 Time(s)

bakerocb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

3/9/2011

Hello Alfred, Message received. I'll try.

There are some rather valid reasons for resubjecting or, as some may
consider it, refining message subjects to show more accurate message
content:

1) The initial message may be mostly on one subject, then someone will
respond to that initial message including an off shoot subject and the next
thing we know messages that deal only with, say flap positioning, are flying
back and forth still under the intial subject of propeller performance.

This would make it very difficult to research the subject of flap
positioning if one were doing a message subject only search as opposed to
doing a message content search.

Bil Schertz, the founder and great guru of the original KIS list before it
was shifted over to Matronics, was frequently reminding us to keep message
subject focused on message content. Back then we did not have available the
sophisticated message content search capability that currently exists within
the Matronics system.

2) The initial message may just identify the airplane as a KIS with no
specificity regarding whether the 2 seat or 4 seat, or tail dragger versus
tricycle gear version was being discussed. This created confusion on many
occasions and the sooner the clarification was made the better.

3) Sometimes the initial poster will use non standard / unfamiliar / wrong
(from a widely accepted usage view point) terminology in the posting subject
line such as "dust cover" instead of "glare shield" or "zero time engine"
instead of "zero time SMOH (Since Major Over Haul)" and it is not entirely
helpful to continue to use that initial misleading subject for the life of
the thread (or eternity as the case may be).

On balance my preference seems to lean toward accurate communication and
future search relevance being of more long range value than near term ease
in just following a current thread subject path no matter how misleading the
subject has become.

OC

================================================================
To: <bakerocb(at)cox.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 11:26 AM
Subject: RE: KIS TR-1 Propeller
Quote:
Hi OC,

If you don't mind, please don't start new threads on the forum when
responding to messages in already existing threads? It just
breaks the flow of things and adds clutter where there need not be any. No
harm done in just asking.

Examples of this recently include:
KIS TR-1 Gear Gap
KIS TR-1 Propeller - attachment
PORT SIDE FAIRING
KIS Landings

Regards,
Alfred

BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Light a the end of the tunnel! ... and about time too Surprised)

In late January I started exploring to find the best replacement propeller configuration for the recently acquired KIS TR-1. The objective is to replace the old 2–blade 68 x 69 inch â€cruise’ prop with a new prop which will markedly improve low speed climb performance after take-off at full weight. It turns out that the new prop should be a 3–blade 61 x 64 inch â€climb’ propeller. The insights gained from these studies have turned upside down all notions I previously held regarding what may or may not constitute an optimal propeller.

Initially I was quite ambivalent about 3-bladed props, but results of the comprehensive performance modeling exercise showed conclusively that a 3-blade prop offers significant comparative performance gains at low speed and also at high altitude (i.e. high density altitudes) – with only a small sacrifice in top end speed. This follows from the fact that an 8-fold increase in power is required for a given speed increase. Trading power for top end speed is therefore not a very effective use of power unless you have oodles to spare … thinking of Scott here ;o). For us lesser mortals with engines cranking out 130hp or less (at best) it may be sensible to forgo a few knots at the top end (~ 5 knots ) in order to gain a bucketload of spare power to support much improved acceleration and climb performance at the lower end of the speed range in combination with better performance at high density altitudes.

For general interest, and for others who also have a problem with sluggish takeoffs, the findings are described below with reference to the attached diagram. From previous communications about propeller performance it seems that many KIS TR-1 planes are fitted with 68 or 69 inch pitch props. Those owners my find the information below particularly relevant.

For actual propellers the choice is still between Prince P-tip, Catto and Idrovario.

Kind regards,
Alfred
The old (61 x 69”) and the new (61 x 64”) propellers are compared for three typical operating points:
A) Climbing after take-off nominal MSL
B) Level flight at low altitude (nominal MSL)
C) Flight at 7500 feet (or equivalent altitude where only 75% of engine power remains)

Notes: (i) Green arrowhead lines connect the tips of the three pairs of old vs new performance comparison lines on the diagram.
(ii) Full throttle B.H.P. curve information supplied by OC Baker was instrumental in making it possible to complete the analysis.
(iii) Although I refer to the new prop as a â€climb’ prop it cruises perfectly well – the distinction is merely in name, not in application.
(iv) Brake specific fuel consumption does not vary by much over the RPM range of interest. Refer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_specific_fuel_consumption

A) Climbing after takeoff.
With the old prop, engine rpm tops out at less than 2750 in level flight at low level. Upon starting to climb the rpm then drops – to just below 2400 rpm for climbing at 400 ft/min. When operating at this point, only 91% of the available engine power can be accessed. The rpm drops despite WOT and the operating point slides to the left and downward on the â€full throttle’ b.h.p. curve for MSL – shedding power along the way. [Refer to the uppermost bhp curve in the diagram.]
Because it is so important to retain access to all of the power that the engine can deliver, the new prop has smaller diameter (less torque) and finer pitch (lower blade loading). It allows 2800 rpm to be maintained whilst climbing at 400 ft/min. For the O-240 engine this produces an extra 12hp in the climb compared to the old prop – and 12 horses can give the TR-1 a goodly lift.
With the new prop one can truly cruise and climb well at the same time. If WOT is used, the climb rate must exceed 400 ft/min to avoid over-revving. Correct handling of the throttle to prevent over-revving is essential. (A rpm monitor and alarming device will be installed.) The climb rate can of course be increased so that the rpm drops to ~2400 – as for the old prop. The resultant climb rate is then just about double that of the old prop. At MSL and 2400 rpm, the new prop will apparently sustain a cruise + climb combination of 122 kt + 780 ft/min. As altitude increases the climb rate could be steadily relaxed to maintain the speed.

B) Level flight at low altitude.
In level flight at low altitude the old prop could not achieve maximum rpm of 2800 and dropped to 2400 rpm and below when climbing at 400 ft/min. In stark contrast, the new prop could be over-revved in level flight up to altitude of ~8000 feet. This is an unavoidable side-effect if one desires to have the option to extract all the power the engine can deliver – essential for operating at â€hot & high’ fields where density altitude routinely exceeds 8000 feet. During the cruise climb, rpm must be maintained at 2800 or preferably a little less. (If cooled properly, the Rolls Royce O-240-E is rated for continuous operation at 2800 rpm – not that one would do that all the time.)

C) Flight at 7500 feet.
At this higher altitude, only 75% of the original engine power remains – and that only if 2800 rpm can be maintained. Reduction of rpm below 2800 results in less power being accessible. [Refer the middle tier â€full throttle’ curve in diagram below.] It can be seen that the maximum power available to the old prop with WOT in level flight was a mere 70%. The effect of climbing is to further decrease the rpm despite the WOT. The resulting loss of power seriously inhibits climb performance at this altitude. The new prop enables access to all the power still available at this level and provides the freedom to operate at any chosen point on that â€full throttle’ bhp curve. In particular, climb performance is markedly improved. The same applies to all altitudes below ~8000 feet.

Climb vs Cruise propeller comparison for KIS TR-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.49 KB
 Viewed:  12275 Time(s)

Climb vs Cruise propeller comparison for KIS TR-1.jpg

galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

THANKS for the write-up. Now I can use this to justify to my wife me
getting the 3-bladed prop I want.. Surprised)

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM, BlueSkyFlier <bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com>wrote:

[quote]
>

Light a the end of the tunnel! ... and about time too Surprised)

In late January I started exploring to find the best replacement propeller
configuration for the recently acquired KIS TR-1. The objective is to
replace the old 2–blade 68 x 69 inch ‘cruise’ prop with a new prop which
will markedly improve low speed climb performance after take-off at full
weight. It turns out that the new prop should be a 3–blade 61 x 64 inch
‘climb’ propeller. The insights gained from these studies have turned upside
down all notions I previously held regarding what may or may not constitute
an optimal propeller.

Initially I was quite ambivalent about 3-bladed props, but results of the
comprehensive performance modeling exercise showed conclusively that a
3-blade prop offers significant comparative performance gains at low speed
and also at high altitude (i.e. high density altitudes) – with only a small
sacrifice in top end speed. This follows from the fact that an 8-fold
increase in power is required for a given speed increase. Trading power for
top end speed is therefore not a very effective use of power unless you have
oodles to spare … thinking of Scott here ;o). For us lesser mortals with
engines cranking out 130hp or less (at best) it may be sensible to forgo a
few knots at the top end (~ 5 knots ) in order to gain a bucketload of spare
power to support much improved acceleration and climb performance at the
lower end of the speed range in combination with better performance at high
density altitudes.

For general interest, and for others who also have a problem with sluggish
takeoffs, the findings are described below with reference to the attached
diagram. From previous communications about propeller performance it seems
that many KIS TR-1 planes are fitted with 68 or 69 inch pitch props. Those
owners my find the information below particularly relevant.

For actual propellers the choice is still between Prince P-tip, Catto and
Idrovario.

Kind regards,
Alfred
The old (61 x 69”) and the new (61 x 64”) propellers are compared for three
typical operating points:
A) Climbing after take-off nominal MSL
B) Level flight at low altitude (nominal MSL)
C) Flight at 7500 feet (or equivalent altitude where only 75% of
engine power remains)

Notes: (i) Green arrowhead lines connect the tips of the three pairs of
old vs new performance comparison lines on the diagram.
(ii) Full throttle B.H.P. curve information supplied by OC Baker was
instrumental in making it possible to complete the analysis.
(iii) Although I refer to the new prop as a ‘climb’ prop it cruises
perfectly well – the distinction is merely in name, not in application.
(iv) Brake specific fuel consumption does not vary by much over the RPM
range of interest. Refer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_specific_fuel_consumption

A) Climbing after takeoff.
With the old prop, engine rpm tops out at less than 2750 in level flight at
low level. Upon starting to climb the rpm then drops – to just below 2400
rpm for climbing at 400 ft/min. When operating at this point, only 91% of
the available engine power can be accessed. The rpm drops despite WOT and
the operating point slides to the left and downward on the ‘full throttle’
b.h.p. curve for MSL – shedding power along the way. [Refer to the
uppermost bhp curve in the diagram.]
Because it is so important to retain access to all of the power that the
engine can deliver, the new prop has smaller diameter (less torque) and
finer pitch (lower blade loading). It allows 2800 rpm to be maintained
whilst climbing at 400 ft/min. For the O-240 engine this produces an extra
12hp in the climb compared to the old prop – and 12 horses can give the TR-1
a goodly lift.
With the new prop one can truly cruise and climb well at the same time. If
WOT is used, the climb rate must exceed 400 ft/min to avoid over-revving

gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

For what its worth ... i have a wooden 3blade gnd adjust prop ...blade
length is 31'' so spose that makes it a 62'' ..was pretty happy with it ..
not sure what its limits will be with the new engine ...?

Graham

BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Chuckle chuckle ... Laughing

Hi Galin. I was thinking of you when I did the write-up because I did previously say to you that a 3-blade prop is rarely if ever better than the 2-blade -- that statement still holds if both prop types have the same pitch.

In such case the one advantage of the 3-blade is that the lower power loading per blade reduces the lift coefficent on the blades. Therefore the 3-blade stops cavitating (starts to 'bite' properly) at lower forward speed than a 2-blade generating the same thrust. Takeoff acceleration therefore benefits. The price to pay for that benefit is the higher parasitic drag of the 3-blade prop.

In any case, reducing the propeller pitch is what really makes the difference and is essential to release the extra RPM needed to tap into the top end of the 'full throttle' curves at any % remaining power. The parasitic drag penalty is offset by reducing the diameter accordingly.

One important observation from these studies is that steeply banked turns should be given a wide berth in the KIS TR-1 if you have less than 130 hp up front coupled with a propeller pitch in the high 60"s. Anything more than 55 degree bank has the potential to really spoil you day - and everyone else's too.

[Bonbons for those who spot the obvious little booboo in two of the labels on the diagram Surprised)]

Cheers,
Alfred

bakerocb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

3/15/2010

Hello Alfred, You wrote: "One important observation from these studies is
that steeply banked turns should be given a wide berth in the KIS TR-1 if
you have less than 130 hp up front coupled with a propeller pitch in the
high 60"s. Anything more than 55 degree bank has the potential to really
spoil you day - and everyone else's too."

I don't understand:

A) What bad thing(s) are supposed to happen with more than 55 degree angle
of bank?

B) Why are the engine horsepower and propeller pitch specifically
responsible for these bad things?

Thanks,

OC

PS: I routinely practice 60 degree angle of bank turns with my TCM 125 HP
IO-240 B9B powered KIS TR-1 that has a 68 inch diameter by 69 inch pitch
Prince P tip propeller. I use 100 knots indicated airspeed (which I consider
V sub a, or maneuvering airspeed for my plane) and just a bit more than
2,000 RPM (which is not nearly max engine horsepower output) in order to
maintain altitude during the turn.

It is a fairly demanding exercise, particularly during entry to and exit
from the turn to avoid altitude excursions, but my decrepit 78 year old hand
eye coordination has managed to avoid anything that I would call bad so far.
My goal is to meet the US FAA Commercial Pilot Practical Test Standards
copied here:

A. TASK: STEEP TURNS (ASEL and ASES)
REFERENCES: FAA-H-8083-3; POH/AFM.
Objective. To determine that the applicant:
1. Exhibits knowledge of the elements related to steep turns.
2. Establishes the manufacturer's recommended airspeed or if one
is not stated, a safe airspeed not to exceed VA.
3. Rolls into a coordinated 360° steep turn with at least a 50° bank,
followed by a 360° steep turn in the opposite direction.
4. Divides attention between airplane control and orientation.
5. Maintains the entry altitude, ±100 feet (30 meters), airspeed,
±10 knots, bank, ±5°; and rolls out on the entry heading, ±10°.

=================================================================
To: <kis-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 6:43 AM
Subject: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller
Quote:

<bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com>

Chuckle chuckle ... [Laughing]

Hi Galin. I was thinking of you when I did the write-up because I did
previously say to you that a 3-blade prop is rarely if ever better than
the 2-blade -- that statement still holds if both prop types have the same
pitch.

In such case the one advantage of the 3-blade is that the lower power
loading per blade reduces the lift coefficent on the blades. Therefore the
3-blade stops cavitating (starts to 'bite' properly) at lower forward
speed than a 2-blade generating the same thrust. Takeoff acceleration
therefore benefits. The price to pay for that benefit is the higher
parasitic drag of the 3-blade prop.

In any case, reducing the propeller pitch is what really makes the
difference and is essential to release the extra RPM needed to tap into
the top end of the 'full throttle' curves at any % remaining power. The
parasitic drag penalty is offset by reducing the diameter accordingly.

One important observation from these studies is that steeply banked turns
should be given a wide berth in the KIS TR-1 if you have less than 130 hp
up front coupled with a propeller pitch in the high 60"s. Anything more
than 55 degree bank has the potential to really spoil you day - and
everyone else's too.

[Bonbons for those who spot the obvious little booboo in two of the labels
on the diagram Surprised)]

Cheers,
Alfred

richard_trickel(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Alfred
I agree with O.C. I and may others have done what is considered aerobatic manuvers with no grave dangers.. I know of one South African who did snap rolls on take off. ( He has a bigger set than I do) 60 degrees should be no problem. I do know the plane becomes very quiet upside down and I get a little dirt in my eyes:)
Rich

--- On Tue, 3/15/11, bakerocb(at)cox.net <bakerocb(at)cox.net> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: Re: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com, bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com
Date: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 12:11 PM

--> KIS-List message posted by: <bakerocb(at)cox.net (bakerocb(at)cox.net)>

3/15/2010

Hello Alfred, You wrote: "One important observation from these studies is that steeply banked turns should be given a wide berth in the KIS TR-1 if you have less than 130 hp up front coupled with a propeller pitch in the high 60"s. Anything more than 55 degree bank has the potential to really spoil you day - and everyone else's too."

I don't understand:

A) What bad thing(s) are supposed to happen with more than 55 degree angle of bank?

B) Why are the engine horsepower and propeller pitch specifically responsible for these bad things?

Thanks,

OC

PS: I routinely practice 60 degree angle of bank turns with my TCM 125 HP IO-240 B9B powered KIS TR-1 that has a 68 inch diameter by 69 inch pitch Prince P tip propeller. I use 100 knots indicated airspeed (which I consider V sub a, or maneuvering airspeed for my plane) and just a bit more than 2,000 RPM (which is not nearly max engine horsepower output) in order to maintain altitude during the turn.

It is a fairly demanding exercise, particularly during entry to and exit from the turn to avoid altitude excursions, but my decrepit 78 year old hand eye coordination has managed to avoid anything that I would call bad so far. My goal is to meet the US FAA Commercial Pilot Practical Test Standards copied here:

===============
From: "BlueSkyFlier" <bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com (bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com)>
To: <kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)>
Quote:
--> KIS-List message posted by: "BlueSkyFlier" <bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com (bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com)>

Hi Galin. I was thinking of you when I did the write-up because I did previously say to you that a 3-blade prop is rarely if ever better than the 2-blade -- that statement still holds if both prop types have the same pitch.

In such case the one advantage of the 3-blade is that the lower power loading per blade reduces the lift coefficent on the blades. Therefore the 3-blade stops cavitating (starts to 'bite' properly) at lower forward speed than a 2-blade generating the same thrust. Takeoff acceleration therefore benefits. The price to pay for that benefit is the higher parasitic drag of the 3-blade prop.

In any case, reducing the propeller pitch is what really makes the difference and is essential to release the extra RPM needed to tap into the top end of the 'full throttle' curves at any % remaining power. The parasitic drag penalty is offset by reducing the diameter accordingly.

One important observation from these studies is that steeply banked turns should be given a wide berth in the KIS TR-1 if you have less than 130 hp up front coupled with a propeller pitch in the high 60"s. Anything more than 55 degree bank has the potential to really spoil you day - and everyone else's too.

[Bonbons for those who spot the obvious little booboo in two of the labels on the diagram Surprised)]

Cheers,
htthttp://forums.matronics.com/" target=_blank>http://forums.matronics.com

[quote][b]

sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

I've rolled my airplane a few times now without any issues, but I think what Alfred is getting at is that with only 130HP you probably cannot do a sustained 55+ degree bank turn at altitude without the speed bleeding off a lot.

Scott

--- On Tue, 3/15/11, Richard Trickel <richard_trickel(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:

To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 6:34 AM

Alfred
I agree with O.C. I and may others have done what is considered aerobatic manuvers with no grave dangers.. I know of one South African who did snap rolls on take off. ( He has a bigger set than I do) 60 degrees should be no problem. I do know the plane becomes very quiet upside down and I get a little dirt in my eyes:)
Rich

Quote:

--> KIS-List message posted by: <bakerocb(at)cox.net>

3/15/2010

Hello Alfred, You wrote: "One important observation from these studies is that steeply banked turns should be given a wide berth in the KIS TR-1 if you have less than 130 hp up front coupled with a propeller pitch in the high 60"s. Anything more than 55 degree bank has the potential to really spoil you day - and everyone else's too."

I don't understand:

A) What bad thing(s) are supposed to happen with more than 55 degree angle of bank?

B) Why are the engine horsepower and propeller pitch specifically responsible for these bad things?

Thanks,

OC

PS: I routinely practice 60 degree angle of bank turns with my TCM 125 HP IO-240 B9B powered KIS TR-1 that has a 68 inch diameter by 69 inch pitch Prince P tip propeller. I use 100 knots indicated airspeed (which I consider V sub a, or maneuvering airspeed for my plane) and just a bit more than 2,000 RPM (which is not nearly max engine horsepower output) in order to maintain altitude during the turn.

It is a fairly demanding exercise, particularly during entry to and exit from the turn to avoid altitude excursions, but my decrepit 78 year old hand eye coordination has managed to avoid anything that I would call bad so far. My goal is to meet the US FAA Commercial Pilot Practical Test Standards copied here:

===============
Quote:
--> KIS-List message posted by: "BlueSkyFlier" <bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com>

Cheers,

Quote:

=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
et=_blank>http://forums.matronics.com
llow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

richard_trickel(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Scott
Yea your going to slow down but i think you can maintain altitude.  I would not try it at 100 ft. but in practice it should be little problem
Rich

--- On Tue, 3/15/11, Scott Stearns <sstearns2(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:

Date: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 3:03 PM

I've rolled my airplane a few times now without any issues, but I think what Alfred is getting at is that with only 130HP you probably cannot do a sustained 55+ degree bank turn at altitude without the speed bleeding off a lot.

Scott

--- On Tue, 3/15/11, Richard Trickel <richard_trickel(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:

Date: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 6:34 AM

Alfred
Rich

Quote:

--> KIS-List message posted by: <bakerocb(at)cox.net>

3/15/2010

I don't understand:

Thanks,

OC

===============
Quote:
--> KIS-List message posted by: "BlueSkyFlier" <bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com>

Cheers,

Quote:

Quote:

[quote][b]

BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Whoa guys! The intention was not to insult the plane. I own one too, remember.

Once you have done your HASELL check, no problem. We all need to do those turns to pass the checks. I also did a snap roll recently in training – sussing out where and when she drops a wing in stall speed regime - also when getting too slow in a slip, especially to starboard. No problem with recoveries if you have height.

The point I'm making (badly so seemingly) is that it puts you into a region of the flight envelope where you have preciously little spare performance to get out of trouble if you don't have height to spare. To answer OC’s question, that’s why engine power and prop pitch comes into the equation. Rich and Scott hit the nail on the head. With current parameters, the model indicates that - with 125hp engine and 69” pitch prop - it would be difficult to sustain a 60 degree turn above 3500 feet altitude.

I propped the propeller and power configuration for OC’s plane into the model. Results in diagram attached below match what he reported – the speed he referred to would be IAS. With the graph based on TAS, it is of course offset slightly to the right from the 100 kts reported by OC. The dashed purple line is RPM (divided by ten – on lefthand scale). Good to have another confirmation that the model works.

Cheers,
Alfred

Sixty degree turn in KIS TR-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.48 KB
 Viewed:  12193 Time(s)

Sixty degree turn in KIS TR-1.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: