KIS TR-1 Propeller
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
bakerocb

Location: FAIRFAX VA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

2/26/2011

Hello Alfred, You wrote: "........ I'll be using airfields at 6000 ft AMSL
at temperature of 35 to 40 degrees C."

That helps me understand your desire / need for more takeoff / climb RPM /
power out of your engine - prop combination than I am faced with.

The Prince propeller selection Wizard is a bit puzzling because it has two
different propeller recommendations for what appears to be the same airplane
and engine combination.

A) If you follow the input trail of "KIS TR 1 IO - 240 - 125HP" you wind up
with a 68 X 69 propeller recommendation. (Which is what I have.)

B) If you follow the input trail of "KISS - IO 240 - 125 HP" you wind up
with a 62 X 68 propeller recommendation.

See here:

http://www.princeaircraft.com/PriceOrder.aspx

One would think that the 62 X 68 prop would be more of a takeoff / climb
prop than the 68 X 69 version.
Maybe a conversation with Lonnie Prince is in order to sort out and refine /
clarify the recommendation.

'OC' Baker Says: "The best investment we can make is the time and effort to
gather and understand knowledge."

PS: What part of the world will you be operating in with those field /
density altitudes and temperatures?

From: bakerocb(at)cox.net <bakerocb(at)cox.net>
Subject: Re: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com, bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com
Date: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 12:11 PM

--> KIS-List message posted by: <bakerocb(at)cox.net (bakerocb(at)cox.net)>

3/15/2010

Hello Alfred, You wrote: "One important observation from these studies is that steeply banked turns should be given a wide berth in the KIS TR-1 if you have less than 130 hp up front coupled with a propeller pitch in the high 60"s. Anything more than 55 degree bank has the potential to really spoil you day - and everyone else's too."

[...]

===============
--> KIS-List message posted by: "BlueSkyFlier" <bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com (bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com)>

[...]

htthttp://forums.matronics.com/" target=_blank>http://forums.matronics.com

[quote][b]

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Back to top
sstearns2(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

I've rolled my airplane a few times now without any issues, but I think what Alfred is getting at is that with only 130HP you probably cannot do a sustained 55+ degree bank turn at altitude without the speed bleeding off a lot.

Scott

[...]

=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
et=_blank>http://forums.matronics.com
llow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Back to top
richard_trickel(at)yahoo.
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Scott
Yea your going to slow down but i think you can maintain altitude.  I would not try it at 100 ft. but in practice it should be little problem
Rich

[...]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: KIS TR-1 Propeller Reply with quote

Whoa guys! The intention was not to insult the plane. I own one too, remember.

Once you have done your HASELL check, no problem. We all need to do those turns to pass the checks. I also did a snap roll recently in training – sussing out where and when she drops a wing in stall speed regime - also when getting too slow in a slip, especially to starboard. No problem with recoveries if you have height.

The point I'm making (badly so seemingly) is that it puts you into a region of the flight envelope where you have preciously little spare performance to get out of trouble if you don't have height to spare. To answer OC’s question, that’s why engine power and prop pitch comes into the equation. Rich and Scott hit the nail on the head. With current parameters, the model indicates that - with 125hp engine and 69” pitch prop - it would be difficult to sustain a 60 degree turn above 3500 feet altitude.

I propped the propeller and power configuration for OC’s plane into the model. Results in diagram attached below match what he reported – the speed he referred to would be IAS. With the graph based on TAS, it is of course offset slightly to the right from the 100 kts reported by OC. The dashed purple line is RPM (divided by ten – on lefthand scale). Good to have another confirmation that the model works.

Cheers,
Alfred

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List

Sixty degree turn in KIS TR-1.jpg
 Filesize:  73.48 KB
 Viewed:  12193 Time(s)

Sixty degree turn in KIS TR-1.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next